• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A newbie's guide to building a computer

What was it like building your first computer?

• I got heaps of static in me! #superman

• It was fun, but I got scared I would break something

• My CPU broke in two!

• Computers? Pfft, I'm a hardcore iOS Gamer m8.

• I don't have 1.5k to spend :c

• I don't care about this poll, dory is love!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Captain Dory

Diamond
Reaction score
Hello there, welcome to my guide. Your first port of call is to continue reading.

INTRODUCTION

If you're looking to acquire a fancy new computer, a decision must be made: To build a computer, or to buy a computer? While buying a computer has some advantages, the benefits of building a computer far outweigh buying. Here's a pros and cons list:

Buying a computer:
• Smaller case.
• Instantly usable on purchase.
• Comes preinstalled with programs.

• Comes preinstalled with programs.
• Much more expensive ($300-500 more).
• Cannot easily be expanded.

Building a computer:
• Much less expensive ($300-500 less).
• You can install the programs you want.
• You can customize the case and parts to a certain style or colour.
• With most cases you'll be able to look inside, and see it in action... well, the coolers and lights at least.
• You can get the parts delivered.
• Learn about computer parts, their functions and what their names mean.

• May take up to 10 hours total time to build a computer (With no problems it'll take under 4 hours).
• You'll be under constant pressure that you might have broken something.

This pros and cons list is designed to make you want to build a computer, so please stop reading if you're still passionate on buying.

THE PARTS

The first step to building a computer is picking and acquiring the parts you'll use.
There are many parts that go into making a computer be, well, a computer, so here's a detailed list of all of the basics (Note: The
italicized text is a definition from Wikipedia):

Central Processing Unit (CPU):
The central processing unit is the hardware within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer p
rogram by performing the basic arithmetical, logical, and input/output operations of the system.

This is normally one of the most expensive parts of your build, and with good reason. The two main manufacturers of CPU's are Intel and AMD. I'll be discussing and comparing Intel as they are (In my opinion) more 'out there' and more common. If you've heard great things about AMD elsewhere, feel free to research them.

Intel CPU's are Intel's most famous computer parts. The modern ones (Again, these are the ones discussed; if you've heard great things about non-modern ones, you're hearing wrong) are classed as i3, i5, and i7. The i3 models are dual core processors, while the i5 and i7 models are quad core processors. The amount of cores relate to how many problems a processor can work on at a time, or how efficiently it can work on a large problem. So basically, quad core processors are better at multitasking (For example, using skype, minecraft, ts3 and chrome at the same time will be faster on a quad core processor than on a dual core processor).

When looking for a CPU, you'll want to find one that has a high GHz (Gigahertz), without having an exceedingly huge price tag on it. By the way, Gigahertz refers to basically how fast the CPU can process stuff. I bought the i5 Intel 4690 for $249, and I have had no problems so far.

NOTE: Intel CPU's will come with a stock fan; there is normally no reason to buy an aftermarket fan. However, if your stock fan breaks somehow, then I'd recommend the Hyper 212 EVO cooler by Cooler Master.

Motherboard:

A motherboard (sometimes alternatively known as the mainboard, system board, planar board or logic board, or colloquially, a mobo) is the main printed circuit board (PCB) found in computers and other expandable systems. It holds many of the crucial electronic components of the system, such as the central processing unit (CPU) and memory, and provides connectors for othe peripherals.

A motherboard, simply, is the framework for your computer. You plug into it most of the parts you use, and the motherboard makes everything run smoothly. It is also the main hub of electricity for the computer. The first step of picking a motherboard is to make sure your CPU's socket is the same as the motherboard. Most Intel CPU's are LGA1150, so if your CPU is, then you must get a motherboard that supports that (Almost all motherboards these days support LGA1150). The main competitors are ASRock, Asus, MSI, EVGA and Gigabyte.

One thing worth noting is the maximum RAM (Explained later) that your motherboard can hold, as well as the slots for it. Make sure you have equal or less than the maximum RAM for the motherboard. This motherboard is great for beginners, and it comes with a pretty fancy sticker.

Random Access Memory (RAM):

Random-access memory (RAM) is a form of computer data storage. A random-access memory device allows data items to be read and written in roughly the same amount of time regardless of the order in which data items are accessed In contrast, with other direct-access data storage media such as hard disks, CD-RWs, DVD-RWs, and the older drum memory, the time required to read and write data items varies significantly depending on their physical locations on the recording medium, due to mechanical limitations such as media rotation speeds and arm movement delays.

RAM is important because it lets the computer quickly access lots of small amounts of data. For example, in Minecraft, RAM is used to store player and mob locations, as well as what they're holding, wearing, where they're located, and a bunch more things. The main manufacturers of RAM are Corsair, G.Skill and Kingston. They're all great manufacturers.

RAM has many variables: Firstly, the amount of pieces it has. If you're building a Gaming PC, you'll probably go with 16GB; However, the best option is to buy 2 8GB sticks, or even 4 4GB sticks of RAM. It's better to buy more for if there happens to be a memory leak, not all data will be lost. RAM also introduces component speed, however sometimes if you order sticks with too much speed, bad things can happen (I can't remember exactly what happens, ask Dr Google if you'd like). Stick with DDR3-1600, which is the speed a little bit over average. I bought a G.Skill 16GB (2 sticks of 8GB) DDR3-1600 set of RAM.

Hard Disk Drive (HDD):

A hard disk drive (HDD) is a data storage device used for storing and retrieving digital information using rapidly rotating disks (platters) coated with magnetic material. An HDD retains its data even when powered off.

A hard disk drive is that thingy that stores all your data. There's not really much to it. Mentioned in the definition is speed; it uses platters to store and retrieve digital information. There's a few modern speeds: 5400RPM, 5700RPM, 5900RPM, 7200RPM and even 10000RPM. These relate to how fast data can be moved. I bought this one, it's a well known, extra cheap 2TB one, and I've gotten no problems with it.

Solid State Drive (SSD):

A solid-state drive (SSD) (also known as a solid-state disk or electronic disk, though it contains no actual disk) is a data storage device using integrated circuit assemblies as memory to store data persistently. SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) hard disk drives, thus permitting simple replacement in common applications.

An SSD is most likely where you will store your OS, and some of your games. It is similar to a HDD, but is much more expensive, basically because it moves around data much faster. Samsung and Western Digital are the leading manufacturers of SSD's, and I bought a 128GB one from Samsung.

Graphics Processing Unit (GPU):

A graphics processing unit (GPU), also occasionally called visual processing unit (VPU), is a specialized electronic circuit designed to rapidly manipulate and alter memory to accelerate the creation of images in a frame buffer intended for output to a display. GPUs are used in embedded systems, mobile phones, personal computers, workstations, and game consoles.

GPU's should be the most expensive part on your list. They are the main part used to process games (Although Minecraft is more CPU intensive), so better models will relate to higher framerate/FPS. The main manufacturers are Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI, and XFX. The main chipsets (Thingamajiggies inside of it) are GeForce GTX, and Radeon HD. Making a gaming computer, you'll probably want either GTX 760, 770, 780 or 790, dependent on what your budget is. I bought a GTX 770 from EVGA.

Case:

Honestly, Wikipedia shouldn't have to define what a case is.

A case is basically.. the case for your computer parts. It holds them inside, and it has cables (To connect to motherboard) that control stuff like power button, reset button etc. Gamers tend to buy cases look 1337 super cool, but I think the form, durability and price are important. I did get one that was pretty fancy though.

Power Supply Unit (PSU):

A power supply unit converts mains AC to low-voltage regulated DC Power for the internal components of a computer. Modern personal computers universally use a switched-mode power supply. Some power supplies have a manual selector for input voltage, while others automatically adapt to the supply voltage.

The PSU turns AC power into low voltage, and feeds that into the motherboard. It gives power to everything. When picking a PSU, you need to be mindful of Watts. PSU's tell you how many watts they use. You'll need to calculate how many watts you will be using, and then make sure the PSU can supply that amount.

Each PSU has an energy efficiency rating: There are Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum rankings, obviously that list is from lowest to highest. The efficiency isn't all that important, but with Platinum you'll have lower electricity bills. I, myself, got a Bronze 600 watt PSU, from Corsair.

Optical Drive:

An optical drive is basically that CD thing that plugs into the computer. This is the one that almost every gamer uses. It's very cheap and gets the job done fine. Buy two and you'll be able to burn discs, or something like that.

Operating System (OS):

An operating system is software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is an essential component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function.

An operating system is what you're running to view this thread right now. For example; if you're on an iDevice, you're using iOS, if you're on a different device, you're probably using Android, if you're on a Macbook, Mac Pro or iMac you're using OSX, and if you're viewing this on a PC, you're probably using either Windows or Linux. That should teach you what they are.

Most gamers will get Windows. The most popular is Windows 7 Home Premium (I bought this one), however, at this stage, Windows 10 is upcoming, so you should probably wait until it's released before deciding. If you can't wait however, get Windows 7. Windows 8 was great, but not popular in the gaming community; It's more of a work OS apparently.

What you'll have to consider is if you want 32 Bit or 64 Bit. The main difference is how much RAM they can utilise. 32 Bit computers can only run 4 GB of RAM, while 64 bit computers can run any amount (I think there is a limit, but it's like 1024GB or something). The only reason you should be getting 32 Bit is if you are only using 4GB or less of RAM. If you have 4GB+ RAM installed on a 32 Bit OS, it will just not use it.

Monitor:

A monitor or a display is an electronic visual display for computers. The monitor comprises the display device, circuitry and an enclosure. The display device in modern monitors is typically a thin film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) thin panel, while older monitors used a cathode ray tube (CRT) about as deep as the screen size.

The monitor is the screen you're looking at right now. They range in size, but are generally rectangles with a 16:9 ratio. You don't REALLY need a monitor to run a computer, but it helps to actually see what you are doing. Monitors have refresh rate, and it is recommended to have <5ms on your monitor (This means that your monitor will recieve data from the computer 5milliseconds after it happens).

Picked your parts? Let's go!
NOTE: Make a thread on tomshardware.com with your parts, and ask for improvements and checks.

BUILDING THE COMPUTER

Congratulations on reading this far. This is the fun, yet totally confusing part. Here are some great resources, since I could only explain this in a video:
Some general notes to remember while building:

• When you're putting in the CPU, it's normal to have a lot of force while pressing down the latch. Heck, I even made a tiny dent in the side of mine. Don't worry about the creaking sounds.
• Cross reference the given videos with your motherboard guide. Make sure you check your motherboard guide before doing anything.
• When you're putting the motherboard in the case, cross reference the motherboard guide with the case guide.
• DON'T LOOSE ANY OF THE DAMN SCREWS.
• No screwdriver = no build. Don't even try using a knife. It's much less stressful if your screwdriver has a magnetic tip.

Make sure to put your parts list onto pcpartpicker.com . It is an amazing website that most builders have heard of. On the site there is a compatibility checker that works (Checks to see if all your parts are compatible and fit into the case, referring back to LGA and 32/64bit).

OUTRODUCTION OR WHATEVER ITS CALLED

Thanks for reading this! Good luck on your computer. If you feel like it, post your parts list! I'll include it for an example in here.
Note: I spent 2 hours on this guide. Leave some thanks if you learnt something :)

COMMUNITY INPUT

Any tips/part recommendations are highly appreciated :)

• Don't cheap out on the power supply. You should look to see that a power supply has is at least 80+ bronze certified, the cheap ones that come with cases generally don't have this certification and because of this you really should purchase a case and power supply seperately. It's important to have a good power supply for two reasons: firstly a low quality power supply can potentially damage other components and secondly if your power supply fails you can't really do anything with your computer until you get a new one.
  • Do your research to know what you're doing before you build a computer. I thought I knew a fair bit before building my first computer yet when it came time to do it was still very confusing.
  • When buying a case ensure that it will have enough room to fit your Graphics card and CPU cooler (if you choose to get something other than a stock CPU cooler that is). Cases with plenty of room behind the backplate will make things look much nicer as you are able to hide all those messy cables that no one wants to see.
  • Intel processors will generally perform better than AMD when using applications that don't take advantage of multiple cores (A lot of games).
  • The Speed of a processor in GHz isn't an exact indication of how good a processor is, there are many more factors and i suggest looking up comparisons of different CPUs before thinking you know which is better.
  • Get an SSD as they are god like, don't question the price tag just go for it I doubt that you'll regret it. Paired with a decent HDD you'll have the benefits of both speed and having storage space.
  • One last thing to keep in mind is that there is a certain price range (roughly $700 - $1000 in my opinion) where you are getting the best performance for your money. Sure as you spend more your performance will increase but once you start looking at really high end components the price increase associated with them doesn't exactly reflect performance gain you would get. So It can definitely be a good idea to go for a more mid range build and look to upgrade in a couple years as computer parts are always advancing and becoming better in time.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Memory: G.Skill 2x8gb DDR3 I think?
Storage: Some Western Digital 1tb HDD + Some Seagate 1tb external HDD
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: I think an ASUS z87 or z97, I forget
PSU: Corsair CX430
Monitor: AOC 2460
Case: Bitfenix Shinobi
My specs:
i7 4790k @ 4.4ghhz hue hue
GTX 770
16GB Corsair dominator platinum
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Corsair h105 240mm cpu cooler
Corsair RM750w psu
250GB samsung 840 evo (Windows 8.1)
2TB WD black (Steam library)
1TB WD Blue (videos)
Nzxt h440 case
Specs:
CPU: i5-4670k (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooling: Corsair H80i (Water cooling yo)
MoBo: AsRock Z87 Extreme4
RAM: 16GB Crucial Sports Gaming Ram
GPU: 1x AMD Radeon HD 7900
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda
SSD: Kingston HyperX 256GB
PSU: 650W Corsair
Case: Corsair 750D
Case LEDs: NZXT Blue Sleeved LED Kit
Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC Edition 2GB. 1150MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-HD3 Motherboard
Power Supply: Corsair RM-750 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Screen: 1920x1080, 21.5" WLED
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB
Case: NZXT Switch 810 Case White

Last edited:
D

Damien // Teepwn

Very good guide! I recently built my own computer, and can say this guide would've saved me a lot of time. Anyway, if you want to see my specs, here:

Manos

Diamond
Reaction score
Very good guide! I recently built my own computer, and can say this guide would've saved me a lot of time. Anyway, if you want to see my specs, here:

CPU twins :p
But my gpu is a 770 kinda blows yours out of the water :/
Also for me, building my computer the only part I got scared of was when my CPU cover popped off and it hit a fan header and knocked it out of place it came out that hard lol
Lucky my fan was only 2 pin so I didn't need the out of place one

Oh also my molex connectors coming out of the psu were a little out of line, but I still manged to squeeze the power cables into their designated thing eg LEDs

D

Damien // Teepwn

CPU twins :p
But my gpu is a 770 kinda blows yours out of the water :/
Can't argue with that, I'm fine with the 750ti for now. It'd be nice to upgrade but it isn't really a current necessity.

Manos

Diamond
Reaction score
My specs:
i7 4790k @ 4.4ghhz hue hue
GTX 770
16GB Corsair dominator platinum
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Corsair h105 240mm cpu cooler
Corsair RM750w psu
250GB samsung 840 evo (Windows 8.1)
2TB WD black (Steam library)