• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Configure TeamSpeak to Say Usernames

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
* Use at your own risk! Users can set their own phonetic nicknames, which at times may be difficult to moderate by MCGamer staff! Please be aware that use of this configuration may result in hearing inappropriate or offensive content that is incredibly difficult to track!

** This thread contains a large amount of images and explanations to assist those who need visual assistance. Though the length of this thread is incredibly extensive, the process is fairly simple!

*** Users whose names consist of all capital letters will have their nicknames pronounced as though it was an abbreviation (each letter individually). Please refer to Feature: Custom Phonetic Nicknames for a possible solution to this inconvenience!

================================================

Greetings MCGamer Community,

Many people have asked me how to get TeamSpeak to announce the names of users who enter and leave their channels. As it's become somewhat of a daily routine and seems to be a highly requested feature, I've decided to post this tutorial to benefit the entire community!

Step One: Set your sound pack to Default Text To Speech
  • On the default TeamSpeak screen, click: SettingsOptions (Shortcut: Alt+P)
  • On the left-sidebar, click Notifications
  • Set Sound Pack to Default Text To Speech

• Note: The voice that will be used is the default text to speech voice which is determined by your Operating System. For example, for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, Microsoft David will be the default voice. You may, of course, change this voice at any time, but it must be done through your Control Panel instead of TeamSpeak.

Step Two: Disable notifications related to the "Server" or "To Different Channel"

By default, your TeamSpeak is set to be notified of all server-related events and events related to channels you are not in. If these notifications are left enabled, you will receive auditory notifications of all events related to renames, kicks, bans, channel switches, connections and disconnections across the entire server. This is not necessary. Instead, we will disable server-wide notifications and only enable auditory notifications for events related to the channel you are in.​
  • Expand the Client tree
  • Starting with Connnection, expand each tree and disable notifications dealing with "Server" or "To Different Channel". Under Connection's trees, disable the Server notifications, but leave the Current channel notifications enabled
  • Under Switched and Moved, leave the To Current Channel and Away from Current Channel trees enabled, but disable the To Different Channel trees
  • Continue expanding each tree under Client and disable notifications similar to the steps listed above. You may customize the notifications to fit your needs. Click here for a sample completed tree which disables all server-related notifications excluding bans and server/channel group assignments
  • Click Apply and OK

Step Three: Make the notifications tolerable (Optional)

As the Default Text To Speech sound pack is intended to assist those who are visually impaired, the notifications include information that is bothersome to ordinary users (I don't mean to be rude here!). As a result, information about the channel and server's name is constantly being relayed back with the default configuration. Since we only need information about the channel's name in some situations (such as when you're moved or kicked to a different channel or when a user in your channel leaves or moves to a different channel), we can remove some of that unnecessary information, make the notifications more swift and to the point, and still retain some of the familiar sounds associated with text events.

To do this, we can manually change each individual notification, or we can simply overwrite the settings file for the Default Text To Speech sound pack and complete all of the changes in one fell swoop.

Note: The following settings file simply overwrites an existing file and makes changes to text events. No additional files will need to be downloaded as any sounds are simply redirections to sound files that already exist.​
  • Open Notepad (or another variation of a barebones text editor)
  • Open the following link: http://goo.gl/YpVUQZ
  • Select all of the code and copy and paste it into the Notepad document (clip the clipboard icon to select-all and then copy and paste or scroll to the RAW Paste Data, right-click and press select-all and then copy and paste)
  • Save the file to your desktop as: settings.ini (ensure that when you save the file you set the Save as type drop-down menu to All Files)
  • Move the file (drag and drop) from your desktop to:
C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\sound\default_speech

Note:
If you cannot locate this pathway, your TeamSpeak has been saved in a different location. To locate the TeamSpeak folder, right-click a TeamSpeak shortcut and click Properties and then click Open File Location. This will bring you to the TeamSpeak 3 Client folder. Then locate the \sound\default_speech directory.

• Overwrite the existing file and exit File Explorer.

Step Four: Restart TeamSpeak 3

Changes will not be fully applied until TeamSpeak has been restarted. Simply restart the application and you're good to go!

Feature: Custom Phonetic Nicknames

You can also set a phonetic nickname for buddies and blocked users! This is extremely helpful for buddies who have names pronounced as an abbreviation, or to make your TeamSpeak a little more personalized!
  • If the user has not been set as a friend or blocked user, right-click the user and press Add as Friend or Add as Blocked. You can view a full list of friends or blocked users by clicking Tools → Contacts (Shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+O)
  • Right-click a friend or blocked user and press Edit in Contacts
  • On the right side of the Contacts window, set the desired Phonetic Nickname of the user and close the Contacts window

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. I followed all of the instructions and it still doesn't work! What do I do?

Ensure that each step was followed correctly. Please review each step and ensure that you've followed it thoroughly. There are a lot of small mistakes that may occur that could be the reason why your configuration is not working correctly. Common mistakes include:
  • Disabling notifications under a tree other than Client
  • Not applying any of the changes
  • Naming the settings.ini file incorrectly
  • Placing the settings.ini file in the wrong sound directory
  • Not restarting TeamSpeak after all the changes have been completed
2. Now names are announced across all my TeamSpeak servers! How can I only make it announce names on MCGamer's TeamSpeak?

In Step 1, we set our default sound pack as Default Text To Speech. This means that this sound pack will be inherited by every server connection made on TeamSpeak. However, using TeamSpeak's built in bookmark system, we can specify whether to use the default sound pack or a different sound pack.​

Note: You'll want to set your default sound pack to whichever you'd prefer to be used on new servers. If you want the Default Sound Pack (Female) to be the sound pack for new servers, complete Step 1 except set the sound pack to Default Sound Pack (Female).

Scenario 1: MCGamer is not bookmarked
  • On the default TeamSpeak screen, click: Bookmarks Manage Bookmarks (Shortcut: Ctrl+B)
  • Click Add Bookmark
  • Enter in a Label (display name) for the server, the Address of the TeamSpeak (ts.mcgamer.net) and your Nickname
  • Click More
  • Under the Sound Pack, change it from Default to Default Text To Speech
  • Click Apply and OK
  • Launch the MCGamer TeamSpeak by clicking Bookmarks and the Label you set for the MCGamer TeamSpeak and it will connect using the configurations set in the Default Text To Speech sound pack

Scenario 2: MCGamer is already bookmarked

• On the default TeamSpeak screen, click: BookmarksManage Bookmarks (Shortcut: Ctrl+B)
  • Click on the MCGamer TeamSpeak within the list to load up the bookmark information
  • Click More
  • Under the Sound Pack, change it from Default to Default Text To Speech
  • Click Apply and OK
  • Launch the MCGamer TeamSpeak by clicking Bookmarks and the Label you set for the MCGamer TeamSpeak and it will connect using the configurations set in the Default Text To Speech sound pack

3. Can I change what the messages say? Can I use the voice of a famous celebrity or change the sound effects?

Absolutely! This can be done by modifying the settings.ini file in Step Three. However, as there are infinite possibilities for what can be put, I will not offer support if you intend on modifying these files.

Take a look at the settings files for other sound packs in the \sound\ directory. You can use this as a guideline to create your own personalized sound pack! You may use sound files instead of the default text to speech, but you'll need to specify the pathway to the sound files!
4. How do potatoes make love?

Nobody knows this.

Hopefully this thread has been incredibly helpful! If so, don't hesitate to like this post to let me know that I helped you out! Please refer to the FAQs before posting a problem! We'll try to help you out the best we can!

Much love,
Joel

Last edited:

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Great guide. It's really useful. Also, Thread moved by request.

LagunaLoire

Spectator
Reaction score
Sooooo, similar kinda thing I guess, but how do you get teamspeak to stop trying to use Abbreviations. Example being any user [or server name or channel ect ect ect] that has FM as if it were a radio station comes up as Field Marshal, not FM. Mt says Mount as if it were a mountain. Hell, you can't say Mur [a friend's username] without it replacing it with Muconic acid which is given to people with herpes. I'm sure it's obvious why this gets annoying fast. We want it to say what we type, not assume any old cr*p because it has a script somewhere with abreivations listed

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
Sooooo, similar kinda thing I guess, but how do you get teamspeak to stop trying to use Abbreviations. Example being any user [or server name or channel ect ect ect] that has FM as if it were a radio station comes up as Field Marshal, not FM. Mt says Mount as if it were a mountain. Hell, you can't say Mur [a friend's username] without it replacing it with Muconic acid which is given to people with herpes. I'm sure it's obvious why this gets annoying fast. We want it to say what we type, not assume any old cr*p because it has a script somewhere with abreivations listed
That has to deal with the text-to-speech (TTS) in your operating system. For example, if you're using the default male TTS voice on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, it's called Microsoft David. The abbreviations are coded into that TTS voice, so you would be required to modify a much deeper level of your operating system in order to remove those abbreviations.

The abbreviations have nothing to do with TeamSpeak; they've been in many TTS applications for many years so they cannot be modified in any TeamSpeak configuration files.

LagunaLoire

Spectator
Reaction score
That has to deal with the text-to-speech (TTS) in your operating system. For example, if you're using the default male TTS voice on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, it's called Microsoft David. The abbreviations are coded into that TTS voice, so you would be required to modify a much deeper level of your operating system in order to remove those abbreviations.

The abbreviations have nothing to do with TeamSpeak; they've been in many TTS applications for many years so they cannot be modified in any TeamSpeak configuration files.
Ahhhhh now THAT I can change! Thank you very much

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci