• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Does anyone know what DCI is?

Sinatra

Spectator
Reaction score
OK, so I'm a gigantic nerd if you didn't know. I'm in band, debate, I stay after school to help out, I tutor, etc,. so I would consider myself a nerd. But one question, is DCI nerdy? Do you even know what DCI is?
if i get great feedback on this thread, I'll make more about DCI and drum corps and explain it more thoroughly. Hey and if you're extremely interested just ask questions in the comments, and I will try to get to most of them.
scroll all the way down for the exciting stuff.

You don't?​

WELL OK GET READY!

DCI, stands for Drum Corps International.
Whats that? You don't know what a Drum Corps is? (Which btw 'corps' is NOT pronounced like "corpses", it is instead pronounced like "core" like marine corps) well LET ME TELL YOU NOW NOW NOW!

According to Wikipedia, A modern drum and bugle corps, is a musical marching band consisting of brass instruments, percussion instruments, synthesizers, and color guard.

And you might say, wow marching band? BORING, but it's not to over a million people it isn't as year after year the lucas oil stadium usually sells out for DCI.

Umm check again!

Drum Corps is a very physical activity, and actually so is marching band. You have kids running around in this hot weather over the summer, learning music, and drill, and they have sometimes 12 hour practices! For high school marching band I know they have whole weeks in the summer just meant for practicing, which days are 9am-6pm or sometimes 9am-9pm practices. And studies have shown, while marching on the field peformers' heart rates usually exceed those of people who run 100 meters dashes. Not only this but the weight with of the instrument or how you need to be constantly blowing air and march at the same time. Some of these instruments weigh up to 45 pounds! for an example, a Quad (type of drum) weighs 45 points. And a contra (a tuba like instrument) weighs around 30.
And lets not forget about the Color guard! Color guard within itself is something amazing and great to check out in your free time, but these are the people who are crazy enough to throw heavy wooden rifles in the air and fake but made with real metal sabers, and flags and other things, but these people throw all sorts of crap in the air. And dance too. They practice as much as the band does, if not more!

Now for the exciting part. Here are some DCI videos you can watch. I'll put a brief description behind them. This summer will be DCI '16, I can't wait!

This is just a quick montage of shows from 2014.

My personal favorite drum corps, the Bluecoats with their 2014 program entitled Tilt. They got 2nd that year.

This video may not be up in a month, but its Phantom Regiment's 2008 program Spartacus. They got 1st and were crowned champions that year.

This is Carolina Crown 2015 program INFERNO!, they got second that year.

I'll update with more videos in the future! or better yet whole new threads! Goodbye for now! If you want to see more, just do a quick Youtube search!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci