• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Guide: Optifine (decreasing lag)

BlackHead

Career
Reaction score
As I see, a lot of new users have problem with lagging or/and don't know how to install Optifine. And because I didn't find Optifine tutorial here, I did it my self. :)

First of all... What Optifine is?
Optifine is a mod, which can boost your FPS, decrease your lag and make gameplay smoother.

Is it allowed on Survival Games servers?
Yes, it's one of the mods, that are allowed, because it doesn't give advantage to players, like some other not allowed mods does.

What else Optifine does?
As I said, it increase FPS and with that, remove lag spikes. You can also turn off animations, clouds, fog and other stuff, that decrease your lag. Optifine can be also used as a Texture Patcher and have some other functions that are not really needed for gameplay.

There is a lot of versions. Which one is right for me?
There are 3 version of Optifine for current Minecraft version: Light, Standard and Ultra (has all the features of, Standard, Smooth, Ultra and AA). You need to pick, which one of those you need. For me, the best is Ultra, because it has a lot of feautures in one version.

I attached a picture, where you can see, what features each edition has.
optifine.png
When you are downloading them, you must be sure you are downloading the Optifine for the current version of Minecraft.

You can get older versions by clicking spoiler under Older version text.

And now, to the installing tutorial.

First of all you need to download the Optifine to your computer.

1. Write Optifine into Google and open the link to Minecraftforum.net or simply CLICK HERE
2. Choose the best version for you and click download.
3. Now, here is the hardest part.

• If you are Windows 7 user do:
Open Start > write %appdata% > open Roaming > .minecraft > bin and open
Minecraft.jar with Zip/rar viewer.
  • If you are Windows XP user do:
Open Start > Run > write %appdata% > open Roaming > .minecraft > bin and open

4. Now open the Optifine.rar and move files from it, to Minecraft.jar
5. Delete META-INF in Minecraft.jar folder and close all files.
6. Open Minecraft and change your setings, to make you Minecraft faster. (if you don't know how, I can make another guide here)

Voila. I really hope this thread helps you and if you have any questions about Optifine, write them into comment. :)

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Also, you can download magic launcher for an easier install. It is like the normal MC launcher but with more features like tabs for MC forums, Jeb's tweets, etc. You go to setup, add then find the optifine folder and click ok.

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score
*Additional note*

If you have EVER installed or used MCpatcher, you'll need to reinstall minecraft by deleting the folder completely (back up any saved worlds) and reinstalling from minecraft.net. If you keep MCpatcher with optifine, it will continually crash your game.

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
Nice guide. I've stickied this and given it the guide tag. Good work :)

mgf4

Experienced
Reaction score
is this hack because I thought that it was???

mgf4

Experienced
Reaction score
As I see, a lot of new users have problem with lagging or/and don't know how to install Optifine. And because I didn't find Optifine tutorial here, I did it my self. :)

First of all... What Optifine is?
Optifine is a mod, which can boost your FPS, decrease your lag and make gameplay smoother.

Is it allowed on Survival Games servers?
Yes, it's one of the mods, that are allowed, because it doesn't give advantage to players, like some other not allowed mods does.

What else Optifine does?
As I said, it increase FPS and with that, remove lag spikes. You can also turn off animations, clouds, fog and other stuff, that decrease your lag. Optifine can be also used as a Texture Patcher and have some other functions that are not really needed for gameplay.

There is a lot of versions. Which one is right for me?
There are 3 version of Optifine for current Minecraft version: Light, Standard and Ultra (has all the features of, Standard, Smooth, Ultra and AA). You need to pick, which one of those you need. For me, the best is Ultra, because it has a lot of feautures in one version.

I attached a picture, where you can see, what features each edition has.
View attachment 7351
When you are downloading them, you must be sure you are downloading the Optifine for the current version of Minecraft.

You can get older versions by clicking spoiler under Older version text.

And now, to the installing tutorial.

First of all you need to download the Optifine to your computer.

1. Write Optifine into Google and open the link to Minecraftforum.net or simply CLICK HERE
2. Choose the best version for you and click download.
3. Now, here is the hardest part.

• If you are Windows 7 user do:
Open Start > write %appdata% > open Roaming > .minecraft > bin and open

• If you are Windows XP user do:
Open Start > Run > write %appdata% > open Roaming > .minecraft > bin and open

4. Now open the Optifine.rar and move files from it, to Minecraft.jar
5. Delete META-INF in Minecraft.jar folder and close all files.
6. Open Minecraft and change your setings, to make you Minecraft faster. (if you don't know how, I can make another guide here)

Voila. I really hope this thread helps you and if you have any questions about Optifine, write them into comment. :)
That was very long HAHAHA

BlackHead

Career
Reaction score
You don't need to troll. It's for people that don't know how to install.

Reaction score
If you are Mac user do:
Open Finder > head to Library > Application Support > minecraft > bin > and rename
Minecraft.jar to Minecraft.zip then right click it > delete the Minecraft.zip and open the Minecraft.jar folder.

4. Now open the Optifine folder and move files from it, to Minecraft.jar
5. Delete META-INF in Minecraft.jar folder and close the window.

For mac users. c:

BlackHead

Career
Reaction score
Okay thanks. I will add this tomorrow, when I get to the computer :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci