• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How come a lot of good PVPers can hit me like 2 or 3 blocks away from me but I can't?

cmclay

Experienced
Reaction score
Why is everyone saying this is an internet issue ._.

It's not. It's a basic tenet of Minecraft PvP, or at least MCSG's PvP. The natural reach in Minecraft is around 4-5 blocks, and MCSG has nerfed that reach to around 2-3 blocks. That explains why it happens more often on other PvP servers, and also shows that the range they are hitting you at is really not that extreme. It isn't lag that is allowing them to do this, it's skill and knowledge of the game mechanics, which the majority of the well known players in the community have a good grasp on.

Now, I think I know what your issue is when it comes to PvP. You know the general ideas behind some of the tactics that players employ, but not what actually makes them work. When you strafe, you can't simply run around to the side of them, they'll hit you while you're doing so, and, even if you succeed, they can simply turn and continue hitting you. Strafing is all about avoiding enemy attacks, but if you give your opponent room to think, then it won't work. You need to be constantly swinging while you strafe around them, constantly keeping them off balance and unable to hit you. If youdo successfully make it around to their side without being hit, then you can start jumping while hitting in order to get crits and thus deal more damage. However, this will increase the knockback of your blows, so you should try to hit them into a wall or something like that so that they'll be dazed and confused as opposed to being able to easily run away.

As to your second tactic: it doesn't work. If you stand still and wait for a person to come at you, you have no momentum, and can easily be steamrolled by a charging opponent. Jumping into combat has the effect of both increasing the knockback you deal, and also the amount you take. It also serves to increase your range slightly (compared to a still player at least), as your momentum is carrying you forwards faster than they can react. You also then have the opportunity to strafe around the still player and hit them to your heart's content. Standing still is never a good strategy.

Overall, I would just try to keep this in mind while you're trying to build up your PvP skill: Hit them a lot. Though Minecraft PvP has advanced considerably, that is still it's basic tenet. If you get more hits on your opponent than he does on you, you'll most likely be doing more damage, and end up winning a lot more fights. Practice just pure clicking speed. Make sure you can start a sprint quickly after hitting someone so you're able to quickly leap forwards and deal more damage after you knock someone back. Jump when you're in a safe position in order to get crits (this will make you more susceptible to knocback though, so be careful). And, however much you knock the alternate weapons, I would strongly advise learning to use them well. In the type of PvP environment we play in these days, those are absolutely essential to being a great player. Yes, I agree, you should not kill people with them and not show any skill, but if you use them SKILLFULLY, then they do nothing but improve your worth as a player (though people may rage at you and call you cheap for using it, any tactic that works is a good one).
this is true but it also has to do with connection your connection so don't totally say that's not something

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
It is his connection to the servers. When I play on the Hive, an EU server, my hitbox is significantly smaller than when I play on MCSG. You know when you're attacking but only the stars come off the player? That's a combination of NPC and connection lag. In normal minecraft, you should've been able to hit the player, but due to your connection and NPC, you didn't.
this is true but it also has to do with connection your connection so don't totally say that's not something
People. Latency is a factor in PvP. I'm not denying that. But nothing that has been described in this thread is outside the realm of possibility in normal, non-laggy Minecraft. A 2-3 block range is perfectly normal, and if the attacking player is clicking faster or playing better than the defender, they'll be able to combo them back and get a lot of hits in without being hit. There's no lag involved, just skill.

Gravey4rd

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This is an issue ive had ever since i started playing mcsg, it is indeed connection related. I get 400-500 ping on my own region and 2000+ on others. The way i deal with this is to rely more on secondary weapons (bow and FnS) With 500 ping there is half a second delay from when you release your right mouse button and when the bow actually fire, kinda used to it by now though. Cant wait to try out my new 4G connection in a few weeks.

Claps

Diamond
Reaction score
This is an issue ive had ever since i started playing mcsg, it is indeed connection related. I get 400-500 ping on my own region and 2000+ on others. The way i deal with this is to rely more on secondary weapons (bow and FnS) With 500 ping there is half a second delay from when you release your right mouse button and when the bow actually fire, kinda used to it by now though. Cant wait to try out my new 4G connection in a few weeks.
4g connection on a computer?

cmclay

Experienced
Reaction score
see i told you guys connection

EricParazak

Tommy Wiseau
Reaction score
Happens to me on The Hive (main reason why I rarely play on the Hive), I think a reason is that you might have some server lag, if not, I don't know what to tell you.

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this, but you're wrong. The NCP setup MCSG is running DOES decrease the range in which the server will allow you to hit. I've confirmed this with several Sr. Mods and higher, and have experienced it first hand PvP'ing on many different servers.
NoCheatPlus has no options to decrease the range of the default Minecraft, what it does do in-fact is stop hacked clients from using increased ranged on his (which is what these confirmations probably meant is that it "decreases" that "increase" hacked cheats create). Src: https://github.com/asofold/NCPDocs/blob/master/Features.creole

Sprint jumping into someone does provide extra knockback in comparison to simply sprinting at them, no?
But you never said "sprint jumping", you said solely - "Jumping into combat has the effect of both increasing the knockback you deal, and also the amount you take." and never included "sprinting". Sprinting in-fact is control of the knockback towards other players, jumping does criticals, it's set hard in the code up to the current version (no idea about the new sprinting). Src: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Damage#Critical_hits (and previously I have worked with modifying sprint through the code).

Again, the issue he's facing isn't lag, it's just Minecraft mechanics that skilled players know how to use to their advantage.
But client -> server -> client connection does affect how mechanics work. I'm not denying that skilled players with knowledge of the mechanics know how to work with it. ;)

Read what he's saying, he's not talking about people teleporting from place to place or being out of sync with the server, he's talking about being hit from 2-3 blocks away and not being able to defend himself.
You misunderstood me, I'm not talking about the teleportation specifically. I'm backing up the fact you had about momentum, such teleporting can increase the range for a particular player, but you are right it's not the same scenario he is talking about (although it is in a way the same problem).

2-3 blocks IS a range that is capable to reach in MCSG, no lag required. Then, when he's unable to hit back, he's getting comboed (or juggled, depending on the vernacular you wish to use). It's one of the core tenets of Minecraft PVP, to continue knocking them back, decreasing their hit radius while keeping yours, and thus retaining the ability to do massive damage. It isn't lag, it's skill.
I'm not sure where the arguement is here, but can you evaluate more on how knocking players reduce their radius? Is it a mechanic which negates their radius variable? Or is it something to do with the momentum you were talking about before? Knocking them back and thus reducing their range from the momentum? *cough, cough lag*

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Well... I wouldn't call juggling an opponent by simply spamming the mouse as 'skill'...
I never said they were skilled, I said they were good. Whether that be at spamming their mouse or being insane at PvP still comes under the definition of good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci