• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How did MCSG even start?

JustFreeky

Survivor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I would love to hear the full background story of MCSG. This is a question mainly for the Devs and the Owner ChadTheDJ

I would like to know they days, it started, were there any problems with codes, how did you manage the servers. Can you just give a great background story. <3

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
What a great thing to discuss, I know a little bit, even though I'm no one important. The idea for playing Hunger Games in Minecraft came soon after the first Hunger Games movie came out, which was March 23, 2012. If you think about it, no game is better suited to reenacting the Hunger Games than Minecraft. Vareide, who lives in Norway, saw the movie and became the first one to organize an actual Hunger Games server. He got some friends together, and on April 5, 2012 they started building SG 1, which was done a few days later. They installed a few plugins and made a lobby, then opened the servers for testing a few days later. For some reason I don't know how ChadTheDJ got involved, along with his close admins and developers, maybe they were part of that original build team/code team with Vareide?

The servers, which there were only 12 of at the time and were only in the US, opened to the public on April 18. Servers opened for Europe on April 20 in the Netherlands, and 12 were stationed there. The next three weeks were full of constant bug fixing and development for Chad and his helpers at the time. It wasn't incredibly popular at first, but after a few days Vareide did a livestream of the Hunger Games, and after that it essentially spread like wildfire. By the end of the month, tens of thousands of people had enjoyed MCSG, the first and true Hunger Games server.

Then something new came after long hours of Team Vareide's building: SG 2. It's epicness speaks for itself, as shown in this video. Some people may like other maps more, but you can tell SG 2 is the greatest and grandest of them all. It had the most blood, sweat, and tears put into it.

Looking back on it, I realize that I actually joined in early may, about a day after SG 2 came out, not April. :(
Some facts about SG back in those days:
  • Chests were not randomized, one of the corn chests on SG 2 had a diamond sword with fire aspect, etc...
  • Mobs spawned, that could either kill you or give you rotten flesh, arrows, ender pearls, etc...
  • Deathmatches had two people.
  • Matches were up to 60 minutes.
  • Lightning was nonexistent in deathmatch, only when people died it showed where they were.
  • There were no leaderboards, but there was a command called /top to see the top 10 players, and there was /records to see your own statistics.
  • Diamond armor and tools spawned before they were taken out in late April.
  • Picaxes could be found in chests.
  • Voting was randomized.
  • Well, I could go on for a while.
Essentially, from there on out, it's all a bit more well known. SG 3 was added later in the May. 48 player servers were added in late April. The Overgrown Arena was added at the same time as The Most Played Map Of All Time AKA The Mcdonalds Of MCSG: (Breeze Island, our beloved community map) on August 14. SG 4 was added in early September. Around that time, mobs were removed for some reason. From then on out, MCSG's phase of rapid change and development ended, and other can explain history from there.

I hope you enjoyed my explanation. :)

ShaunDepro

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Variede made the map with his team, it was first hosted by Cupquake involving Youtubers and Notch's wife (at least, the first non-test game) and Chad thought of the idea of an automated plugin.

nossr50 (he worked on mcMMO) started the plugin. Kpwn, mooman219, Clankstar, Subv3rsion and Forairan worked on the plugin in that order. Edit: Fixed. :)

Also mobs were removed because of this. ;)

Last edited:

patrickfalcon

Platinum
Reaction score
What a great thing to discuss, I know a little bit, even though I'm no one important. The idea for playing Hunger Games in Minecraft came soon after the first Hunger Games movie came out, which was March 23, 2012. If you think about it, no game is better suited to reenacting the Hunger Games than Minecraft. Vareide, who lives in Norway, saw the movie and became the first one to organize an actual Hunger Games server. He got some friends together, and on April 5, 2012 they started building SG 1, which was done a few days later. They installed a few plugins and made a lobby, then opened the servers for testing a few days later. For some reason I don't know how ChadTheDJ got involved, along with his close admins and developers, maybe they were part of that original build team/code team with Vareide?

The servers, which there were only 12 of at the time and were only in the US, opened to the public on April 18. Servers opened for Europe on April 20 in the Netherlands, and 12 were stationed there. The next three weeks were full of constant bug fixing and development for Chad and his helpers at the time. It wasn't incredibly popular at first, but after a few days Vareide did a livestream of the Hunger Games, and after that it essentially spread like wildfire. By the end of the month, tens of thousands of people had enjoyed MCSG, the first and true Hunger Games server.

Then something new came after long hours of Team Vareide's building: SG 2. It's epicness speaks for itself, as shown in this video. Some people may like other maps more, but you can tell SG 2 is the greatest and grandest of them all. It had the most blood, sweat, and tears put into it.

Looking back on it, I realize that I actually joined in early may, about a day after SG 2 came out, not April. :(
  • Chests were not randomized, one of the corn chests on SG 2 had a diamond sword with fire aspect, etc...
  • Mobs spawned, that could either kill you or give you rotten flesh, arrows, ender pearls, etc...
  • Lightning was nonexistent in deathmatch, only when people died it showed where they were.
  • There were no leaderboards, but there was a command called /top to see the top 10 players, and there was /records to see your own statistics.
  • Voting was randomized.
Essentially, from there on out, it's all a bit more well known. SG 3 was added later in the May. 48 player servers were added in late April. The Overgrown Arena was added at the same time as The Most Played Map Of All Time AKA The Mcdonalds Of MCSG: (Breeze Island, our beloved community map) on August 14. SG 4 was added in early September. Around that time, mobs were removed for some reason. From then on out, MCSG's phase of rapid change and development ended, and other can explain history from there.

All I have too say is wow. This had to take a while xD good job

J

Joel/MadDawg

• Voting was randomized.

Very well said, I didn't even know all of that :p

Tyco

Career
Reaction score
Legend has it that a double rainbow and a glowing new star appeared in the heavens to herald the birth of ChadTheDJ, on May 8, 1990, on SG 1's cherished cornucopia. In 2012, being a world renowned fashion trendsetter fueled by his inspiration of the Hunger Games movie that had just been released, he created the idea of The Survival Games. With that very idea, he summoned his loyal servant Veriede to build the map that he had envisioned. Then, with his advanced superhuman brain he coded the entire MCSG plugin in only a minute, and being it was made by Chad himself, it was totally bug free right of the bat. The second the servers had opened, half the world tried to the first 12 servers to bask in Chad's creation's glory. It had made headlines in almost every newspaper everywhere, as well the top news story on every television station. This is all I know about the creation of these servers. Maybe someone else may fill you in.

Source: North Korean propaganda.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci