• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Internet Useage [Minecraft MCSG]

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
How... do you afford that? And why do you need that much? I though everything in Switzerland was super expensive and stuff xD

As for this, most Australians have around 25-50gb per month, so it would be useful to know how much it uses :p
I have 250GB per month but my Internet is SUPER slow. I'm talking less than half a megabit download and even less upload.

Ninga

District 13
Reaction score
Im Aussie with 500gb per month

It's a cheap plan, the connection isn't actually that good but it's completely stable and never gets fully used.

I can watch youtube videos and play mcsg with no lag. So yeah it's good enough

Le0

District 13
Reaction score
MC uses very little data. On a 50GB, and especially a 100GB, plan there should be more than enough. I use around 30 a month, and watch a TV show or two a day, the occasional movie, and download Steam games. Only when I get excessive with Steam do we go over the cap xD

But yeah, I don't know how much in total, but I would estimate perhaps 100mb a day, probably even less than that .

ejegun

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
How... do you afford that? And why do you need that much? I though everything in Switzerland was super expensive and stuff xD

As for this, most Australians have around 25-50gb per month, so it would be useful to know how much it uses :p
There is nothing else here. To my knowledge, there are no providers that have that here xD. And yes, everything is super expensive here.

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
If I play heavy FPS games all day, it uses about 3GB per day. Minecraft uses very little so it would be inaccurate to say how much it uses. I have 80GB per month and we never go over, in a family of 4. And I usually have the xbox running online aswell as talking on teamspeak

JoelJCE

Career
Reaction score
krackan and Le0 have had the most accurate estimates so far.

I had actually looked into this sort of information a number of months ago when I was preparing to start my own Minecraft server. I was looking up the amount of bandwidth transmitted by a server per player so I could determine the amount of slots to allow without having to worry about exceeding the server's bandwidth limitations.

Unfortunately I'm unable to find the thread at the moment (I'm on a mobile device; not necessarily the best way to find an old thread), but what I did find is that average Vanilla gameplay used anywhere from 15-30MB per hour, per player. However, in this situation, we're talking about a Bukkit/Spigot based server, where more data needs to be transmitted and (in terms of the nature of MCSG gameplay) players are loading more chunks and at a faster rate.

As an estimation, I would say that playing MCSG would net you a little more - maybe 30-60MB an hour to be overly generous (this would also correlate with Punchy_01's earlier estimate of 50-100MB per game) - but I wouldn't imagine it being any more than that; the Minecraft client caches chunks, decreasing the amount of bandwidth for chunks you've already visited in your active session. I'm not sure where all these claims of excessive amounts of bandwidth are coming from; I've never experienced Minecraft using multiple gigabytes of data using only the client on a single night.

I play Minecraft every day, watch YouTube videos every day and download multiples movies and television shows in the course of a month. My sister does the same; usually watching multiple television shows a week and using Skype video chat with her friends every night. Our combined bandwidth has never exceeded 150GB per month (I currently have a bandwidth cap of 250GB per month). I'm thinking there's some other exterior cause for people claiming they have high bandwidth. Perhaps someone on your network is using Netflix, Hulu Plus or a peer-to-peer program?

You have to take into consideration programs you're using in the background as well. Are you using Skype or TeamSpeak? Use of these programs will also affect your bandwidth. Many gamers use and recommend TeamSpeak not only because it's a more secure platform than Skype, but because it typically uses less bandwidth (you tend to transmit more on Skype, picking up unnecessary background noise, whereas TeamSpeak can be controlled by push-to-talk or by setting a capture threshold). Plus, TeamSpeak actually logs the amount of data you've used on your active session, so you always keep an eye on it if you have strict limitations.

I'm interested as to what other people have to say! Hopefully someone's response has been helpful! :]

Also: Bandwidth limitations are usually set on a geographical basis. For my area, you have the choice of higher speeds with a moderate cap, or lower speeds and no cap. My upload speed is also limited to less than 2MB/s simply because my area is a bit under-developed in terms of Internet infrastructure. If I moved 20 minutes North, using the same provider on the same package, my upload speed would be 15MB/s. In my experience, faster speeds are *typically* reliant on your proximity to a larger city!

Last edited:

shoottomaim

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
MineChat uses way too much data though... blew 30 MB of Data in 10 minutes on the hub T.T.

Tyco

Career
Reaction score
I think it's about 10-35 mbs per game. Don't quote me on this but I used my phone internet to measure how much it used.

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
I would also say that the more long games you play, the less you use, because once you've loaded the map, which I think would use the most bandwidth. If you play a lot more shorter games where you're constantly switching lobbies loading maps, it might use a bit more. This is merely a theory though, not an educated guess.

ShakeSchack

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
i have used this type of internet before and my only suggestion to you is to NEVER go on the hub, it will suck alot of data, and servers with alot of players will really spike your data

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci