• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Map Border Preferences?

What type of map border do you prefer in SG?

• Total voters

FusionDeck

Career
Reaction score
I'm working on my new map currently, and I'm not sure what I should do for the border. Generally the original maps were a transparent glass dome over the whole map. But with some maps that are being posted now have a mixture of stained glasses on a dome, or a circular colored glass border. I want to make my map as playable as I can for all players, so I ask (for myself and the wider community) what do you prefer. Vote in the poll above.

I will do into some detail about this here on why each one has it's advantages.

Traditional 'Dome':

The dome border is shared by all of the older maps, Holiday Resort, the original Survival Games maps by Vareide and a lot of others. It can cause some FPS lag due to the sheer amount of glass blocks rendered in for players with bad PC's. But it does give the nostalgic feel of a closed off Survival Games map.

New 'Circular' Border:

It can cause a lot less FPS lag for clients due to the glass blocks only being rendered near walls. In my opinion it looks better for the map, wince you don't have a huge dome flowing over the top of the map. But it is possible (I hear) with some hacked clients you can simply fly over the wall and out of the map. This is usually stopped by the no cheat, but on rare cases it can happen.

Your opinions?

Ninetailefox92

District 13
Reaction score
I'm working on my new map currently, and I'm not sure what I should do for the border. Generally the original maps were a transparent glass dome over the whole map. But with some maps that are being posted now have a mixture of stained glasses on a dome, or a circular colored glass border. I want to make my map as playable as I can for all players, so I ask (for myself and the wider community) what do you prefer. Vote in the poll above.

I will do into some detail about this here on why each one has it's advantages.

Traditional 'Dome':

The dome border is shared by all of the older maps, Holiday Resort, the original Survival Games maps by Vareide and a lot of others. It can cause some FPS lag due to the sheer amount of glass blocks rendered in for players with bad PC's. But it does give the nostalgic feel of a closed off Survival Games map.

New 'Circular' Border:

It can cause a lot less FPS lag for clients due to the glass blocks only being rendered near walls. In my opinion it looks better for the map, wince you don't have a huge dome flowing over the top of the map. But it is possible (I hear) with some hacked clients you can simply fly over the wall and out of the map. This is usually stopped by the no cheat, but on rare cases it can happen.

Your opinions?
For the second one just make the wall hit the world height -256 I believe? and no cheat will definately catch them if they go up that high

FusionDeck

Career
Reaction score
For the second one just make the wall hit the world height -256 I believe? and no cheat will definately catch them if they go up that high
Ah, ok. Did you mean to say +256, because I don't think the world height is at -256 xD

Dashbog

Spectator
Reaction score
I would say colored glass cylinder, but make it something like gray stained glass, or something darker.

benji_r

Career
Reaction score
I prefer the traditional glass dome, but another idea i have seen recently is the new 1.8 barrier blocks being used as well which i think is really cool.

Dashbog

Spectator
Reaction score
Actually, I like the idea of the barrier blocks as the border. I had actually been thinking about that type of border, I just don't know if people would like it, or if it look too good or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci