• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Multiple lobbies per server!

Zoroark173

Tribute
Reaction score
Earlier today, I was trying to get on an mcsg server, but because of the restarts, as soon as it told me it was back online, it would already be full, so I was thinking that a way to do this, would be like this:

When a player logs on, they are sent to a small box, and all players are invisible in that small (probably 4x4ish) box. There, they either type /lobby1 or /lobby2, and then they are sent to the normal lobby. The two lobbies are hosted on the same server, but players from one can't interact/chat with the other, and are in completely different worlds, and can have 2 different maps running! This would allow double the amount of people to get on, while still keeping everything relatively the same!

L

Lululioness

That's pointless. Just have more servers instead of 2 servers in one. Having two worlds like that causes more lag and running to games on one server would make even more lag. Sorry, but this won't be implemented anytime soon, but I'm glad you have good grammar and you said this like a civilised mature person :)

Zoroark173

Tribute
Reaction score
Thank you! I try to have the best grammar possible when posting on forums, as it is incredibly difficult to read the people who post like "I Can Haz Teh New Feturz Plz!!!! XD I Think More Lobby Good!!!!! :DDDDD"

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
Hmm, that might cost just as much as having additional servers, so I don't think that'd be a very good idea.

Zoroark173

Tribute
Reaction score
Hmm, that might cost just as much as having additional servers, so I don't think that'd be a very good idea.
I thought that it would cost less, because let's say the server host gives you unlimited servers, but you have to pay per gig. So you could either do:
A) Multiple servers. 2.5 gigs each the server, 1 gig for each 24 player slots. That would be 7 gigs total.
B) Multiple lobbies. 2.5 gigs for the server, 2 gigs for each 24 players slots. That would be 5.5 gigs total.
SO if the server owner ahd charged them per 0.5 gigs, then it would end up being cheaper.!

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
This is actually a unique suggestion, which is interesting. I always love hearing new ideas! :)

However, I'm still against this idea. It would be laggier and would cost more, because with CubedHost I'm pretty sure you pay per slot not per gig (don't quote me on that).

kaiomann

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
That would cost and hold the same as more servers, but i would even cause more lag. So no from me.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
That would cost and hold the same as more servers, but i would even cause more lag. So no from me.
It would cost the same if we had the same amount of lobbies as we have servers. But if we keep this many servers AND do that it would cost a lot more.

BlueMoonP

Experienced
Reaction score
There is more to it then just 'gigs' of RAM. RAM is one thing, but the actual work is done by the processor. So if you have two games running at the same time, or twice as many players or whatever, the original processor (whether it's single, dual or quad core) will have to do the work for both of them. So, if we simplify it you could say that the servers can only do half of the original number of game ticks per second, meaning you'll get a lot of lag. Of course it will not be exactly half, since two games does not require two seperate servers running, as you said you can also just make two worlds. But again, the real .. 'worker' here is the CPU. RAM is important, but the CPU is the thing that does the work, in the end.

Zoroark173

Tribute
Reaction score
Ok ._. I just presumed that that would cut down on the lag, but I really know nothing on the inside workings of a server, so I had based my idea on presumptions :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci