• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

My Thoughts for the MCG Build Contest.

Should the build contest be solo?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jusser

Career
Reaction score
I've been on vacation the past while so I've had time to think about the contest that MCG will be hosting. I know it hasn't been announced and I don't know any more about the contest than any of you do, but I thought I would share my ideas and thoughts on it anyhow. This isn't for the MCG Gamemode map contest, it's the "make whatever you want" contest that MCG has yet to formally announce.

First off, I think this contest would be best to be a solo contest. The reason why I would think this would make the contest better is to truly see the talent of each builder, compared to hiding behind the shell of a team. I know there's more good builders out there that aren't a part of teams. Having build teams enter into a contest makes it extremely unfair in terms of what teams can create compared to a solo entry; five people can do much more than one. Plus, if you have a team enter, who knows who is really good in the team? You could have a "team" of 7 people where only two of them are really the good builders. This leads to five other builders looking better than they are, which also removes the credit from the truly skilled builders. There are many great builders who aren't in a team (and have no desire to join one) who won't make MCG maps because of the time required to make a high quality map.

By having every entrant be solo, we get to see the true talent of every builder as it is deserved.
I'm aware that some people who join teams are only able to do certain types of building, such as interior, terraforming or the likes. For this reason it would make sense to have a team join the contest so that each person can show their skills more effectively. However, since the purpose of the contest is to show skill in all areas of building, I still think it makes more sense to make every entrant be solo. I would argue that the best builders should be able to build in all styles and types of building, since the fundamental building concepts overlap each other regardless of what you're making (things like shaping and atmosphere).

If making too big of a build is an issue, just make the build contest size restricted, such as a plot. I know some people hate them, but if you have worldedit + voxel sniper then this shouldn't really be an issue; I actually quite like plots.

My second thought is much shorter: We should still be able to make them with access to our own builds, unlike the Team Elite contest. Whether we do it on our own servers or have access to download it ourselves, having access to a copy of our build is essential to motivate someone. Nobody likes to build for nothing.

r/rant

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the build contest that was announced already is not for an MCSG map, but it involves building something based on a certain theme that is to be voted for by the community. The contest that hasn't been announced yet, "officially" hosted by McGamer, is a mapping contest, which involves actually building a map.

And to respond to your complaint about some people having less skill than others, this is why teams usually include a list of a few people that did the most work on the map, but state that some others helped as well. It's why not entire build teams have the map-maker rank.

Jusser

Career
Reaction score
Mamiamato24
I get what you're saying, but there was two contests announced by MCG. One was for game mode maps and one was for non game mode maps. This post relates directly to the non game mode maps (though to some extent both contests as well).

I also understand how only the most contributing builders get ranks, I really do. The problem I see with this though is when you get to the point of having more than one map,
there's extra ranks for the team to just "give away" to the next available active member. Because of this, the mapper rank (and teams in general) don't really represent skill of each individual member accurately. This is why I think the contest should be solo.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
Mamiamato24
I get what you're saying, but there was two contests announced by MCG. One was for game mode maps and one was for non game mode maps. This post relates directly to the non game mode maps (though to some extent both contests as well).

I also understand how only the most contributing builders get ranks, I really do. The problem I see with this though is when you get to the point of having more than one map,
there's extra ranks for the team to just "give away" to the next available active member. Because of this, the mapper rank (and teams in general) don't really represent skill of each individual member accurately. This is why I think the contest should be solo.
Also, making an entire map solo takes a pretty long time, and people also specialize in different sectors. If you know how to build but can't terraform for your life then it's not going to work out. While I'd definitely like to see a solo build contest in the future, I just think that this one wouldn't be suitable.

Azorces

Career
Reaction score
Considering I'll be participating solo would be a great idea

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci