• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

PSA: Protect Yourself From Fake Skype Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

Platinum
Reaction score
Thank you for informing us about this situation. I will keep my look out for these " phishing " links!

Unprovided

Spectator
Reaction score
PROTECT YOURSELF FROM FAKE SKYPE ACCOUNTS
*PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*
By AlpakaWhacker

Also Available in Google Doc Form - https://bit.ly/1CNZXK0

Be wary when accepting some people on Skype. There are a number of "fake" skype accounts out there who are impersonating the people who they claim to be, in order to send you phishing links,

For example, here is one of the fake accounts (do not add him).

This is definitely not the real Vareide so if anyone get's a friend request from him on skype, don't accept.

Also do not accept any of the following skype accounts if they add you (and do not add them either) as they are all fake.

You'll notice that most of them are fake accounts of another communities staff members, chances are you won't come across them however since I do know that they are fake accounts, it is best to make you all aware of them.

Much like links shared on teamspeak, don't always immediately click on links sent to you, even from a trusted friend, as you never know, that close friend may have been compromised.

Phishing Links shared on skype tend to be sent in a similar format to those sent on teamspeak.
*EXAMPLES*
  • The user claims that you are going to be banned for an offense such as disrespecting an owner, spam, foul language etc, and tells you to login to a website with your Minecraft password to not be banned.
  • The user sends a link to the Optifine website claiming that you can claim a free optifine cape by logging in with your Minecraft password
  • The user sends a link to the Minecraft website claiming that you can claim your 1.8 username by logging in with your Minecraft password
  • The user claims to be banned on the Hive and wants you to look at their ban appeal or links you to a hive page (link having a letter such as i replaced by an l) - Yeh, that's right, they try to send fake hive links over here to trick people.... Stay on the look out however for any links which have some letters replaced by other letters.

UN-SHORTEN SHORTENED URLS

If you are ever sent a shortened URL, use this website - http://longurl.org/expand or this website - http://unshort.me/ to expand the URL to show exactly where it goes.

If you need a video tutorial for this then I've put one together...

I didn't know that stuff like this was happening... One of the main reasons why I hate giving my skype out.

ImOpal

Tribute
Reaction score
I already know all of this, but thx for letting the younger players know!

Exult

Survivor
Reaction score
Does anyone remember the guy who impersonated the hive staff member and claimed to be giving out moderator? That was hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci