• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

PSA: Your Account and You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
General Rules: ....
10. Do not use alternate accounts to benefit you: Using alternate accounts to benefit yourself is unfair to those who do not have alternate accounts.
  • Using an alternate account to avoid or get around a ban is not allowed and the alternate account will be banned as well as the IP address being banned.
  • If you were banned for an inappropriate name, you are allowed to use an alternate account.
  • Using an alternate forum account to like your posts so you can get active member is not allowed.
An issue that has been prevalent problem in both moderator applications and player bans is the matter of account accountability. It's become so much of a hassle that we're posting about it now.

Who is at the Keyboard?

Until I invent a computer that requires biometric input and information to confirm a user's identity and then punch them in the teeth on demand, there is no sure-fire way for us to know the identity of the person behind the keyboard. However, we are always certain of accounts being used, so we treat them as identities for the players themselves. We cannot ban specific human beings from accessing the servers, but we can ban the accounts that they own that allow them to access our servers. For the most part, this is the case, and there is no issue.

The rare issue is when the user playing on your account is not you, but someone else be they a sibling, friend, or neighbor. That's what I'm here to talk about today.

On Account Borrowing

Letting someone else use your account for whatever reason is a risky undertaking for you (the account holder) and no one else unfortunately. Because we associate individuals with their accounts, malicious behavior on your account will be seen as malicious behavior from you and only you. So if you let your friend play some MCSG on your account, and he does something to get your account banned, now you won't be able to play MCSG (because he/she got your account banned).

You can post a ban-dispute about it, but it is very difficult to prove a case of mistaken identity. We've all heard of, or perhaps even tried to convince someone of, the story about how, "my brother/sister did it"; next you'll be telling us about how your dog ate your homework. On your side, you most likely don't have any definite evidence to prove you weren't at the computer that your account was logged into. On the staff's side, they don't have many solid ways to prove who was. The only constant in cases like this is that someone who deserves to be banned owns an account, and that account is now banned.

The Senior Staff has already received a saddening number of ban disputes that use the above story. Most of them do not get unbanned, because it's difficult to physically prove otherwise.

The general rule? If it's your account, only you should use it.

On Alternate Accounts

Alternate accounts are fine, so long as they're being used properly. People can have multiple accounts for any number of reasons, and we don't have a problem with that. But having multiple accounts is not an excuse to cause trouble or evade punishment.

If Person A has Accounts A, B, and C, and Account A gets banned, Accounts B and C are still unbanned. Furthermore, Person A will not receive a punishment properly, as they are still able to access our servers (and cause potential problems). As described in our philosophy above, we ban accounts with the intention of banning certain people from accessing our servers. If we are trying to ban a certain person, we must then ban any and every account that they may have access to in order to prevent them from accessing our servers. Furthermore, the simple act of evading justice is a criminal act on its own, thus increasing the punishment for individuals who'd do such things.

If you are banned on our servers, and you use an alternate account to circumvent the ban, you (and any alternate account you may own) will be permanently banned without warning nor question. We have our ways of knowing, so don't even try it.

On Account Sharing

Now let's put the two together. If Person A and Person B share a single account (even if they have their own independent accounts), they are putting each other at risk. The shared account may be considered an alternate account owned by two people, and is thus at risk of being banned if either Person A or Person B is banned. Even if they are banned on their own independent accounts the shared account could still be seen as an alternate, and is thus likely to be banned should either player appear on our servers.

Conclusion
  • Don't let anyone use your account except for you.
  • Lend your account at your own risk and discretion.
  • Alternate accounts are fine if used legitimately.
  • Use of alternate accounts to cause trouble or circumvent bans will result in immediate permabanning.
  • Don't share accounts, as it puts you all at risk.
  • Be accountable with your accounts.
  • Have fun!

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Who knew that one rule could have so much backed up behind it! :eek:
Very informative thread, now you must cover all the other rules! :D

Lively

District 13
Reaction score
Why people let others use their accounts never ceases to baffle me. I mean, you're humans, give into your human desires and be selfish. :p

All joking aside, this is a great guide.

DaPieHD

Career
Reaction score
What if our siblings used a different account and got banned on MCSG? It would show the same ip. (Hasn't happened to me, neither anyone i know.)

Pixelatorx2

Platinum
Reaction score
What if our siblings used a different account and got banned on MCSG? It would show the same ip. (Hasn't happened to me, neither anyone i know.)
This is what i was going to say, i have a sibling on the same internet, so if someone IP bans me, he gets banned too.. Not very good lol.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what i was going to say, i have a sibling on the same internet, so if someone IP bans me, he gets banned too.. Not very good lol.
Our methodology to bans and such goes through user accounts first, and proceeds into IP bans when necessary. For the most part, banning accounts is all that's needed. It's pretty rare for us to ban IPs anyways, since that shows the user either has a staggering number of accounts or they are considered such a threat that we can't risk the possibility of them using another account; think of banning an account as removing a weed from a field, while banning an IP is burning the field because of the weeds. So unless your sibling with whom you share an IP with has 10+ accounts or causes a dramatic amount of trouble, you don't need to worry.

Regarding WHY people share accounts, I can see the reasons behind it. It's definitely not logical nor practical, but it appeals to the ethical and emotional aspect of people. When people share accounts, they always do so with people whom they care about and trust, usually friends or family. They will even overlook bad histories and pasts of behavior problems or hacking because, "they're my friend, and I want to play with them." I can understand that. Anyone who's had a good enough friend that you shared your toys/games with them should understand that. But as law-abiding members of our community, we must also understand the risks associated with such acts as well. And as members of staff, we must uphold those laws for the benefit of everyone.

Also... please don't make empty posts like, "FIRST!" because it's annoying, pointless, and takes space and attention away from valid posts (like the ones above). Heck, the person who wrote FIRST in this one didn't even bother to read the thread before they posted; you know who you are, and so do we.

5Life

crafter extraordinaire
Reaction score
When someone gets banned (perma)
I do not see any reason not to IP ban them-then again there could be others using that computer.

LeafyBlueTea

Survivor
Reaction score
When someone gets banned (perma)
I do not see any reason not to IP ban them-then again there could be others using that computer.
IP bans don't ban computers, IP bans, will ban every computer using that internet connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci