• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Report Abuse Response Changes (And Future Rewards?)

Yin

Discord: prettyyinpink
Reaction score
Oh, my reports have been an absolute lie for a while now? I don't know if I should feel ashamed for submitting weak evidence, or sad that I've been lied to all these years. Eh, I thought that was the case. Glad we're coming to an "honesty is the best policy" state now. On the other hand, free candy from strangers, who tend to lie and may or may not be in a white van? /s but to be completely serious, hype for improvements and honesty.

K

KiDD

This should increase efficiency in the Report Abuse area of things. Awesome! :)

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Truthfully, I'm more excited about what this is building up to: Rewards for Report Abuses.
We'll let the Report Abuse Response Changes simmer on a 2 week trial to see if they're effective and to ensure that the staff is responding correctly. After that, we can start the lottery for Report Abuse Rewards.

Stay Tuned!
-1 for me, people will frame others with fake hacker if this is added, and no one will know if it's an actual player who is hacking or just someone framing someone else for the "Reward"

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
What Moderator responses say:

"Thank you for the report, the user has been dealt with. Have a nice day"

What Moderator responses feel like:

"Thank you for doing all the hard work in the ban process, let me add this one to my list of people I banned by typing stuff in and pressing enter. This will help me in my effort to be rewarded for # of bans with platinum donor.

Have a nice day"

What Moderator responses should be:

1. "Thank you for putting up with this rule-breaker. I am very happy to tell you his/her punishment was _______ for ______ reason. Thank you for gathering the evidence for the punishment, it will be marked you were the reason this person was banned/muted. And of course, Thank you, and have a great day"

2. "I appreciate the time it took to get this evidence, but the evidence is not clear enough to _______ this player for _______. If you can specify any part of the evidence I may missed (message me), I will double check the evidence. I will keep an eye on this player, because it was reported that they have broken rules. I apologize I couldn't ban/mute this person, but continue to report rule-breakers in the future, because moderators can't ban as many people as we could without your help. Thank you for your help, and have a great day."

Thanks for reading.
c:

bcfcAnt

Platinum
Reaction score
I'm glad to see this change because when I report someone and I say "User has been dealt with" it makes it seem as they have been punished. Then I go in-game and see the user again, that's disappointing and I feel lied to. I think this is a needed change and reward-based report abuses sounds absolutely perfect, maybe MCGamer credit could be awarded?

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It kind of feels pretty convenient to know that we're actually going to be more frank with the users, because it sometimes does pain me to say "They have been dealt with appropriately", without actually having done much in the situation. Furthermore, allowing the user to know on whether or not their evidence is sufficient enough to actually justify a ban. However, what I do worry on such circumstances is that if, hypothetically speaking, I close a report without accepting it, knowing full well that the evidence was insufficient; the user would come message me with something along the lines: "Omg, why didn't you ban him, he totally was hacking!" "You're the worst mod evaar, I totally think u don't know how to ban ppl". But in reality, they would simply make themselves seem as if they were individuals who were too blinded in their frustration to actually understand that the user may potentially be a legitimate player, and not a hacker.

Therefore, meaning that I worry people would actually pester staff about whether or not their evidence was sufficient, and I feel as if it may potentially cause a few issues within the staff team's side, as it would mean people would begin to grow more curious on what occurs with the suspect. Also, as previously mentioned by some other users, people may go ahead and begin bragging as hard as to the extent where it seems like they slew Cthulhu, just because they got a single hacker banned. In some cases, this could cause people to spam or flood chat with unnecessary information about how they got a hacker banned.

Ultimately, I would still believe that this change will definitely be something I would love to see. I just hope that users don't cause too many issues regarding this change, as that will make too much of a hassle to deal with. So perhaps we could enforce a strict encouragement that users mustn't cause a massive disruption over a hacker report. If the evidence was sufficient/insufficient, then the report will be dealt with, and that's all there is to it. Nothing too significant. But still, hopefully it goes decently, as this change is something I would like to have.

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
What Moderator responses say:

"Thank you for the report, the user has been dealt with. Have a nice day"

What Moderator responses feel like:

"Thank you for doing all the hard work in the ban process, let me add this one to my list of people I banned by typing stuff in and pressing enter. This will help me in my effort to be rewarded for # of bans with platinum donor.

Have a nice day"

What Moderator responses should be:

1. "Thank you for putting up with this rule-breaker. I am very happy to tell you his/her punishment was _______ for ______ reason. Thank you for gathering the evidence for the punishment, it will be marked you were the reason this person was banned/muted. And of course, Thank you, and have a great day"

2. "I appreciate the time it took to get this evidence, but the evidence is not clear enough to _______ this player for _______. If you can specify any part of the evidence I may missed (message me), I will double check the evidence. I will keep an eye on this player, because it was reported that they have broken rules. I apologize I couldn't ban/mute this person, but continue to report rule-breakers in the future, because moderators can't ban as many people as we could without your help. Thank you for your help, and have a great day."

Thanks for reading.
c:
The reason we don't do that is because ban information is confidential to the staff and to the user being punished. It's sensitive information that we don't want getting around publicly. While the responses to report abuse could use some improvement, I'll grant you that, it's unlikely we will ever reply with the full details of the result of your report. If everyone were to submit clear, unquestionable evidence then there would be no need for us to even tell you they were banned, as you would know it yourself. Also, there are a lot of report abuses to do, and report abuse aren't the only thing staff have to do, which I'm sure you're already aware of. Typing a long, personalized response to a report abuse often times just isn't within our time-frame. Also, "Thank you for doing all the hard work in the ban process, let me add this one to my list of people I banned by typing stuff in and pressing enter".... I'm not sure what you meant by this and I'm struggling to see any alternative, other than letting regular players ban other players? That is after all the whole idea of report abuse.

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
Maybe ill start to report people again now that ill know if they are banned...I used to feel like the player never got banned so I just quit :/

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score
The reason we don't do that is because ban information is confidential to the staff and to the user being punished. It's sensitive information that we don't want getting around publicly.
No offense but that isn't a very good reason. I feel if someone breaks the rules, people should be aware of it. How is it sensitive information? Someone breaks the rules, and we should make them feel as comfortable as possible? That doesn't make any sense.
Typing a long, personalized response to a report abuse often times just isn't within our time-frame.
I never said they had to be essays, but a simple sentence won't kill you. Especially when mods are just sitting in teamspeak rooms, not doing anything. Been there done that. If someone goes to all the trouble of recording a hacker, and they aren't told if they're banned, let alone a thanks, then people won't report anymore, it won't be worth THEIR time.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score

Pretty much what we do now that this was passed xD

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
No offense but that isn't a very good reason. I feel if someone breaks the rules, people should be aware of it. How is it sensitive information? Someone breaks the rules, and we should make them feel as comfortable as possible? That doesn't make any sense.

I never said they had to be essays, but a simple sentence won't kill you. Especially when mods are just sitting in teamspeak rooms, not doing anything. Been there done that. If someone goes to all the trouble of recording a hacker, and they aren't told if they're banned, let alone a thanks, then people won't report anymore, it won't be worth THEIR time.
We found a lot of people were getting abused about their bans. For example, if you posted a report abuse and it was accepted and told they were banned, people used to go onto said users profile, or find them in game and abuse them about it. But like Ceroria said, we're trialing a middle-ground right now ^_^
I also agreed with you on the response, I wasn't disagreeing. I was just shedding some light on why it doesn't often happen. And in all honesty, this is a huge improvement to what it used to be like. In late 2012/early 2013, a response to report abuse would often just be 'Banned' or 'dealt with'. So today's responses are quite an improvement comparatively. Like I said though, I'm not disagreeing with you, it certainly is within our ability to show some more appreciation for a report abuse, just sometimes isn't within our timeline.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
We found a lot of people were getting abused about their bans. For example, if you posted a report abuse and it was accepted and told they were banned, people used to go onto said users profile, or find them in game and abuse them about it. But like Ceroria said, we're trialing a middle-ground right now ^_^
But doesn't that happen even if the user was only "dealt with?"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci