• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

The Path to a Good Feature Suggestion

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Since one of these doesn’t actually exist yet (duckluv321 I blame you), I’m going to go ahead and make a guide on how to make a good suggestion.

There are many aspects to making a suggestion good. First and foremost, think of an idea. The community will decide if it is a good one or not. Then, once you have your idea, find out whether it’s been suggested or not before. It’s pretty useless to suggest things that have been suggested before, unless you plan on bringing up some more arguments to further your idea. To find out if your idea has been suggested before, go up to the search box and search some keywords that have to do with your idea. Try using synonyms of those words to make sure no one tried those either.

I generally make my bigger threads on google docs before copy and pasting it over to the MCSG forums, but that’s not necessary. I do it just in case I don’t finish and want to work on it another day or just another time. It’s easier to save it, but if you plan on tagging people it can be annoying.

The title isn’t necessarily important, but a nice sounding title is always more interesting. Something catchy, something new, and something interesting. Maybe use a fancy word, though not necessarily an unknown word, to catch people’s attention.

Now for the actual thread. Mostly, you should want to make it as detailed as possible. Making a sentence saying “Let’s do this!” doesn’t often make people like the suggestion, if they don’t like it from the start. Have a few paragraphs branching into the different pros and cons of your suggestion, and let people decide whether it’s more of a good thing than a bad thing. Then, you can list any problems this may cause and the solutions to those problems, so that your suggestion is worth implementing.

You should have paragraphs, because in my opinion that makes reading a post more interesting, but you also shouldn’t ramble on and repeat things too much. I personally prefer reading a long suggestion rather than a short one, but that isn’t the case for everyone and continuously saying the same thing makes it a lot less interesting.

Then it’s up to the community. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so don’t get mad if someone disagrees with your suggestion. Rather than fighting with him, bring up more arguments (not fights, arguments as in points) to make him more interested in your suggestion and possibly to make him change his mind.

Well, hopefully you’ll follow this guide! I like seeing new suggestions, but I absolutely love when people make long posts about a suggestion. It’s just fun to read and fun to reply to, no matter what.

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Or you make a bad thread and get accepted because its a great idea like me :p

Not trying to brag about my idea but just saying that bad threads can get accepted if the idea works.

BlueHeron

District 13
Reaction score
It's all about the colors, bold letters, italics, center spacing, paragraphing...

My god, I'm OCD :p

Regardless of my strongly complicated thread method, awesome thread, Squirrel! :)
I have a friend that ACTUALLY has OCD. He's got a problem with accounts on the internet and makes new emails and skype accounts about every 3 days. I have about 30+ skype contacts of him...

#InternetOCD

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I have a friend that ACTUALLY has OCD. He's got a problem with accounts on the internet and makes new emails and skype accounts about every 3 days. I have about 30+ skype contacts of him...

#InternetOCD
Why does OCD make him make billions of accounts? XD

duckluv321

District 13
Reaction score

#InternetOCD
o:

I guess that's one to to brag and say you have a lot of Skype contacts ;)

Reaction score
Very informative squirrel? May I suggest making the color of text somewhat less dark, it makes it hard to read on the regular color scheme. That being said, we've needed this for a while. This will be very useful for new users making a thread, as I'm tired of seeing:
Title: "Good Suggestion"
Content: U should ban teams.
That being said, I'm going to pin this thread.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Very informative squirrel? May I suggest making the color of text somewhat less dark, it makes it hard to read on the regular color scheme. That being said, we've needed this for a while. This will be very useful for new users making a thread, as I'm tired of seeing:
Title: "Good Suggestion"
Content: U should ban teams.
That being said, I'm going to pin this thread.
Did that fix it? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci