• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Wild-Western Plague Map W.I.P.

Chasn555

Tribute
Reaction score
For one thing, I grew up in a desert, and they are just my favorite biome both in Minecraft and out. I was thinking of building a map that wasn't just a desert biome, it would be a lot like the Mid-Western States of America, back in the timeperiod of the late 1800's / early 1900's. For example, Utah's vast open landscape with mountains at the edge of the map... Arizona's deep Grand Canyon taking up one extreme space in the map, but the canyon would have more shape, a lot like Canyon Lands, Utah... Northern Arizona's gallent monuments in Monument Valley... etc.

The Cornucopia would be a lot like the "Lone Ranger" setting (hope you saw the film btw), with several monuments here and there, big and small, some easy to climb, some requiring parkour. A large chunk of the map would contain a vast canyon land with pinnacles and such within them. All across the map is promised to contain both big and small, long, and short, thin, and thick arches. These arches would be a lot like the ones in Arches Park in Moab, Utah. The canyon will have a narrow river running all the way through it with some vegetation here and there (remember this is a desert, not much plants grow, but many types of them do). Some scattered areas of the map would have vast landscapes with some rural structures in them, including redstone puzzles, parkour, chests, and I plan on integrating a riddle set up with the storyline in the map. The riddle's source of start would be in some sort of a hidden location in the map, with clues, facts, and so on. The riddle would bring you to several areas of the map, until you finally solve it by finding the bounty (maybe 2 Tier II chests including a crafting table, etc. This would be one of the "hotspots" in the map. Now as the map would get used more for playing, some people will already know where that riddle is and get more pro at the map, just like all the PvPers on MCSG.

I haven't yet got a plot or proper storyline for the map, and what the war means, but basically I picture the setting to be like the early midwestern days when cowboys roamed the lands trying to track down Indians. Well all the players would be a representative of a clan of cowboys, because those days were rough, and not all the cowboys were acting as one society. Perhaps it became an infamous event back in those days, and not only cowboys, but Indians, and even pirates would attend. The motivation behind them attending this last man standing game would be that the secret organization that planned this event, would reward them lots of treasures, money, and luxury. Whoever won proved to their clan that they were the most superior of them all.

I plan on sizing the map to about 400-500 blocks in diameter, and I don't plan to go too big because the map will have lots of action-packed stuff in it, but with lots of open areas for PvP. Currently I just started this MCSG Map Development project yesterday on a private bukkit server, that has WorldEdit, VoxelSniper, etc. At this stage, I have an 800x800 block square of stone with a mid point, and I plan to start laying out on paper where everything will be located. I do have terraforming skills from the past, but I am still quite a rookie due to the endless possibilities. And don't worry, the map wont be as big as the canvas I am working on, but some high-tec players will have mods like Optifine installed, and they would have extreme render distance on, so I plan to build outside the dome. The dome will be one of the very last things I'll do.

Comments? Suggestions? Any creative ideas for the storyline? Tweaks? Let me know! I can take constructive criticism :)

WIP Photos:
2013-08-04_15.15.32.png

MAP UPDATE 9/29/13:

A lot of work has been done since I last posted this thread!

I am excited to share with you a couple screenshots of how the map is progressing in its early stages of terraforming!

Here are 2 screenshots of some of the examples of the basic terrain, which will be messed around with later:
2013-09-29_18.29.14.png

2013-09-29_18.29.55.png

MAP UPDATE 10/21/13: (REPOSTED THREAD)

And once again, a lot more work has been done last since September 29th! I am seeing the map coming together well... slowly, but steady...

Well I knew it, the Canyon... WHEW! It was not easy! Endless minutes of observation to my sketch of the original, following the exact shape of the canyon that lies in the upper right portion of the map...

I am proud to share just the basic layout of this canyon. Of coarse though, this is not finished! The terrain is not even stone, no detail atm, and nothing else really... THIS IS PROJECT IS STILL IN ALPHA STAGE.

Well here is a picture of the canyon as it looks right now!
Canyon_Overlook.png

The monuments... I have never made these before in Minecraft, so this was quite a challenge also! I only consider this half done due to the lack of detail and map elements incorporated...

Here is a picture of the monument from the center!
Monument_fromCorn.png

And now the monument more unclose...
Monument_General.png

From the canyon:
Monument_fromCanyon.png

Last edited:

EvermoreHD

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Cool idea but be sure to differentiate this between Teweran 2.

Chasn555

Tribute
Reaction score
Yes, it may be a little similar, but it will look different :)

CthruME

Spectator
Reaction score
Would if you mind if I help? I am a experienced map maker. I have already submitted a SG map for MCSG. (Link) I would be very eager to help and build!

This map has a LOT of potential. Just by seeing the cornucopia, this map has TONS of potential.

TotalDramaTony

District 13
Reaction score
Thread Status: Locked

This thread is being moved and locked due to the map/idea not having any progression in a large span of time. If you need your thread to be reopened, PM a Staff member if this map/idea is still in the works.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci