• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

[Discussion] Does the Internet change our personalities?

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
So this is something we have all seen happen: someone (maybe even you!) can be different than they are in real life. So what changes occur? Do people use the web to make themselves look good? If so, why is there so much flame?

Share your thoughts.

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
I believe so.

Due to the fact that the people we meet on the internet are likely a large distance away and will usually never have any contact with our real-world peers, we're more honest with them. It's simply the truth. I'm sure several players reading this post can agree that they are more honest with their online friends. They may not consciously think about their friend not being able to permanently ruin the real-world reputation, but it's subconsciously residing in the back of their minds at all times.

Another factor may be the fact that there's hundreds of thousands of communities online. If anything goes wrong in one community, said user can simply hop on another one. The internet is a great place, and one of the things that makes it a great place is the ability to completely make yourself disappear, and resurrect as an entirely "different" person.
Take Harmonicat (Arena) for example - he ban evaded on the forums for a significant time before admitting to his true identity.

As for competitive trash talk, and we've all seen it (eZ, rekt, etc), I believe the primary reason is the fact that it isn't immediately apparent that you're talking to an actual human being with a life of their own and very, VERY delicate emotions. When you trash-talk someone in-game, you think no more of it minutes after. However, if you get into a verbal argument in the real world, it's much more memorable and life-changing. Keep in mind that you can't immediately escape drama IRL, which makes being a mean person online much easier.

People do indeed use the internet to make themselves look good as well. I won't call names or point fingers, but there are members in this community that attempt to hold a very distinct image. This happens for the same reason it happens in the real world - to be unique. To stand out. To give people a reason to befriend you. The popular clique online is like the popular clique in real life.

Primeval

Diamond
Reaction score
I'm a lot more outgoing on the internet than in real life to be honest, it's kinda sad but yeah xD

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
Ya im pretty insecure my social skills have plummeted and im really depressed but when I get online I have some insane social skills and feel like I could make so many friends :) but in real life I have no hope...:/

4non

Platinum
Reaction score
Ya im pretty insecure my social skills have plummeted and im really depressed but when I get online I have some insane social skills and feel like I could make so many friends :) but in real life I have no hope...:/
It's all a matter of perspective. Simply try to stop caring about how others think of you, and speak to them like they're your friends on TeamSpeak.
It worked for me at least.

K

KiDD

Ehh, it depends. Most likely yes. Mostly social media- I refrain from it mostly because it's kind of pointless (in my honest opinion), (forums aren't social media), but how you act and what you experience on the internet can definitely change you.

Teh interweb is powerful.

w0wmonkey

Career
Reaction score
I don't agree when people say they has no social skill.. its our nature.. you just need to try, you will always find people like you, and in my opinion, most of us are here, cause most of us has the same personality(you know what I mean)

Twee

District 13
Reaction score
I honestly think it does, for some people it can be hard to be yourself in real life, but the internet can be easier to express yourself

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci