• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

1 year Helix: The story of Helix Build Team

Do you look forward to the future content helix will be creating?

• Yes!

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • No im blind from reading this whole thread...

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanders

Team Helix
Reaction score

Hello forumers!

Exactly 1 year ago, on the 10th of May, Helix was created. I am going to take you on a journey of 1 year Helix, with all the extra information and background stories you have most likely never heard of! Please note that this is going to be a long thread. After all, you can't put a whole year in just a few lines right?

On the 10th of may 2014, the very first project Helix has built was started; Sunflower street. The map was a 3V3 map originally build for MCSwish (a PvP server). It all began when WagtailDP, Our first owner, made a thread on the forums asking people to help him with a map. niek , TheBlueFlygon and OverLord547 joined Wagtail building this map which turned out better than first expected. After many positive reactions from the Forumers, the 4 members decided to officially start the build team. They came up with the name Helix, Based on the Helix Fossil from the Pokemon franchise, and together they started working on their second map; Archibald's mansion.

One week after Sunflower Street, Archibald's Mansion was finished. Again, People we're very positive about the map created by Helix. While working on this project, WagtailDP decided to lead the team together with Niekrm (aka Niek). When archibald's Mansion was finished, the fifth member of Helix joined, MCGamerzism | Gizm , and I am glad to say that he is still with us to this date! Gizm (thats what we like to call him) supported many people to join the team. And as the team grew, they were working on a parkour-like map. It was finished, but it never ended up being used by any server. But basing on what I have heard of it, it must have been a good map.

The summer season of 2014 started;
Slowly more members started joining; xextrememcx, iamrandy69, thornfire, GhostRider_RS, xCiicoHD,
BrandonStorm1, Ice_Man1, Obitofan123, Flames1128, Tommychef123, Carson252, Wyz_Guy,
Unknown_HD, vincent37200, GhananBoy & Otto101 all helped out on our First SG map: SG California. It was a long-term project, and right before it being finished, it got posted to MCG.
Many people we're not so positive about the map. Some said that it did not represent California good enough. But the majority of the people liked it for being very PvP based.

At this point in time, WagtailDP had decided to leave the build team and continue as a solo builder. And as you have probably already guessed; Niek became our second Owner. The team started making small PvP maps for the Cove network (which you can see above). The turned out fairly nice but I believe none of them we're ever used on the actual server. The team then finished California, which was posted to the MCGamer network by the end of the summer season.

No comes the part we're I start to be involved with the team!

After sometime the Quarter Quell Contest came along! At the time, I personally had finished Rebellions District, so I participated too. Every map had to be made within 2 weeks. I started working on a map only to realize that I would never get it done on my own. I had already talked a few times to MCGamerzism om skype, so I asked him if I could help working on their QQ map, with the indev name of: Iceage Aftermath. I started working with them, but I wasn't an official member at the time (That's why my name is separate on the thread). After 2 weeks Dave Announced that all contestants would get 1 more week to make a map, this was huge to us! We added even more detail to the map, and one week later we made the thread.

We won. We won the contest, with Sean 's District 7 on second place! We we're unbelievably happy. We were allowed to distribute 3 VIP ranks to our builders; That being niek , MCGamerzism | Gizm and Me. I was overwhelmed that I got the 3rd VIP, and since I felt like I wasnt actually part of the team. I decided to pass it over to someone else. This eventually became TheBlueFlygon (I remember playing on moonbase 9 with him when he noticed that he got a purple name, it was awesome!). I felt, and still do not feel like I needed a rank Like VIP. Which is why these 3 awesome guys are walking around today with these fancy names :) .

With the adrenaline from the QQ contest in our mind, we started working on 2 new maps; CyberWars & Ctyptic Ridge. The 2 maps we're a MCTF2 map and a Zedchase map respectively, and are still submitted to these forums! The maps we're pretty cool, but have not been used as of yet due to MCGamer not accepting none-sg community submissions (of course with exceptions like we will stumble upon soon!). This is we're I felt as if the team was truly coming to life. We had many applications coming in from many builders! And at this point in time we started working on a map that is still very relevant; Alvarian.

Alvarian; Our first and currently only 48p SG map. It took about 3 to 4 months to complete with some of the nicest people I have even known; Niekrm, TheBlueFlygon, MCGamerzism, Ice_Man1, redikus, TheArcaWhale, Cannedca, Aviva,
nomad01, xTumblr, ItsAndy, ItzThunder, Piggeh, Optics, VegsMC, Pokeys, TSnipers, Tudor0alb, Gulemann, TheRedSock, Zainnyyy, Cmelvard, Ghananboy and I believe SuperxAndrew has helped us out a bit too!
The project was amazing to work on and It is probably my favorite map I worked on with a team!

Then a little bit of a silent period kicked in; we started working on a Mario Deadly decent map for the DD GameMode Spotlights. But we ended up never finishing it. Same story for an new SG map of which the theme is so great it will probably be stolen if I tell you, we never finished it because nobody felt like working on it.

At this point in time, I personally started building little thingys for fun; one of those things was a Holiday Resort revamp. Me and MCGamerzism | Gizm thought that this would be a good project for the team. So it became an Helix project as soon as we got permission from Simey.

While working on this map, we did two other projects; Lapiz Island & Porte Orange. Both maps Created for the MCGamer GameMode spotlights ( I believe hosted by Vanicle and Kyle, but dont quote me on that). Although it was mainly me and Gizm working on Lapiz Island, almost everyone in the team had worked on Porte orange! We we're very happy when it had won the Contest (somehow we have only gotten maps accepted through contests so far).

While working on these projects, some of the Hardcore-members started to no longer feel like building anymore. niek and TheBlueFlygon have both worked their (red) Socks of to get this team to where it is today. I would like to personally thank them for that, again!
Niek decided to pick a new owner to keep the team going; This was me. I became the 3rd and current owner of Helix Build Team! I was extremely happy (this means more to me than VIP) and I promised to keep working as hard as I was doing already!

And here we are! May 2015. Helix is officially 1 year old! My english just not advanced enough to describe how I feel about this. The Team and all the members mean so much to me (I sometimes consider them as a family). All current members (and of course those who have left us on the journey) have worked us upto the point where we are now. I would like to personally congratulate every (Ex) member from the team with us achieving 1 year! Not many build teams get this old, and we won't stop here! each and every one of us learn everyday! We help each other out when needed and the overall atmosphere is very positive!

Will you be next?
Do you want to have a great time with us? Create maps together, learn from each other and above all have a ton of fun? Apply now! Together with you we could make even better maps and strive to create the absolute best!

I would, again, personally like to thank everyone for their hard work! Lets go for another awesome year together guys! I have never believed more in us than now!

WOW? Did you read all of that? I am speechless!
(I literally am, I just gave one)

Hope you guys have yourselves a great day!
- Sanders
A proud Helix Owner

TheParrot

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I've already applied for a build team, but if I get declined, I believe I see you in my future....

BluePixels

Platinum
Reaction score
Im a decent builder and Ive always wanted to be a part of a build team but I dont know if Im suppose to apply or something but I can add little details here and there so yeah anyways grats on 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci