• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A modification to the swear filter - A Smart Filter.

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I really don't find it necessary to censor things such as GG, or GF. I guess I can see why you would want other things such as l2p and ez to get censored, but I find it highly unnecessary for some the things you listed. Why would you need to censor GG? It really isn't that bad of a thing to be quite honest. When somebody says GF, they are just saying good fight? It shouldn't really make anybody angry when people say those 2 things.
Refer to this part:
  • Abbreviations like "GG" and "GF" are changed to their polite counterparts, "Good Game" and "Good Fight". "GL" should, likewise, be changed to, "Good Luck".
It's not entire censoring it, it's changing it. What makes people mad is when someone says GG and the person takes it in an offensive way. If it was automatically changed to Good Game, then people won't read it as "Get Good." Likewise with GF - It SHOULD mean Good Fight, but some people interpret it negatively, and take it to mean, "Get f*cked". It's all a mental thing, and how a person sees it. Some people really do mean Good Game, and some don't.

Here's my 2 cents on this topic.

This can easily be implemented, its just as easy as a .replace(".", "") method. The thing is, its not the time it takes its the amount of .'s and stuff people can put in, there are way to many different things and it would take some time. If the developers take their time out and do it, it would remove things like f.*ck etc. etc.

GetRektM8 can be removed by simply blocking, "rekt". Bukkit would automatically find "rekt" and remove it. The part where you say "check for spaces" is just about impossible. I mean, it would take logging messages into arraylists and comparing etc etc.

Gotta sleep now, will update later.
Thanks for your input. I don't know the exact limitations, so I did anticipate the possibility that checking for spaces and/or punctuation would be difficult or impossible to implement.
I feel that this is important enough of an issue that the Devs should take some time and do something like this if it is approved by the staff/admins, etc., as it could do nothing but benefit MCSG. They don't have to implement all of it, but the more steps that are taken, the better.

Unfortunately theres never going to be a way to filter out things like that, humans will simply always be able to get around programmed swear filters.
But eventually, it could become annoying enough that they don't take the time to do it. If they need to do things like "p0 t.-4t0" in order to finally be able to say "potato" (just an example) then people won't really want to spend that time typing it in order to get a single word out. And it just looks absurd.

It's a great idea Moo...problem is I think I have seen threads about this already :/ But still a great thread!
I'm pretty sure I have too, but I haven't seen any gain a lot of attention. One of the things that is both a blessing and a curse about being a "recognizable" forumer (gosh that sounds so cocky ;-; ) is that things that we say gets attention, even if it's only a half-baked idea. It's like saying if a brand new Mod were to suggest MCSG V3, they wouldn't get a lot of attention within the staff, but if a Col were to say it, they'd get serious thought and consideration.
Oh, and we also make it sound fancy ;)

Thanks for all the feedback, btw c:

Chiller4

District 13
Reaction score
I always thought that the word 'damn' was allowed if not being used in an abusive way. How would that necessarily work?

Anyways, great and well thought out suggestion, as always, moo!

Dah_Hobbit

District 13
Reaction score
As chiller said, I thought you could keep it pg-13 or lower if you weren't insulting. Words like crap and damn I thought were allowed. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I always thought that the word 'damn' was allowed if not being used in an abusive way. How would that necessarily work?

Anyways, great and well thought out suggestion, as always, moo!
As chiller said, I thought you could keep it pg-13 or lower if you weren't insulting. Words like crap and damn I thought were allowed. Then again, I could be completely wrong.
It depends on your upbringing and personal opinions and thoughts. I consider d*mn a swear word, and "crap" simply a "bad" term for.. erm, feces. But that's because I was raised with a very strict non-swearing policy. Many people don't consider d*mn bad at all - and it usually isn't, considering it goes hand in hand with the word damnation, etc.

Trilexium

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
10/10 idea, my prediction, however, that given enough time, somebody out there will find workarounds which have the potential to spread.

Twee

District 13
Reaction score
Mooclan to the rescue :D
Great ideas moo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci