• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A Noob's Guide to Winning SG

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
Hey Guys, and Welcome to "A Noobs Guide to Winning in SG".
All Written by Zacharoutio (Zacha)

So, I was recently playing on a SG game a I realized, I have so many rules. Like, in the large amount of games I have played, I seemed to develop my own personal rules and tips. And, I'd like to share them with everyone. This thread is here so people can share their own little tips and tricks and help teach people all over the world. I understand that most people don't want to share their secrets and would like to keep it to themselves. That is fine, this for people to learn new things, share their ideas and overall have more fun when playing MCSG.
[NOTE: This isn't just for new players. It is also for experienced players to learn new things, hence it isn't in the beginners tutorials section.]

So, here is the layout if you want to comment your strategy. I WILL CREDIT YOU!

Example: "Section - PvP (Feel free to create a new section)

Title - Flint n Steel (You can say a title already listed and I will add it to that.)

I.F [Importance Factor] - Medium [Please choose from High/Medium/Low.]

Information - "Setting yourself on fire is the best way to win. "

So, that would be the ideal comment. But I'd take them anyway they come.

So, now we covered the boring part now let's get on to the Tips, Strategies and Guides!

Topic 1 - Your Items
Please note these are the basics. Anyone that has played a lot will probably not benefit from these parts. But they are hidden with helpful tips.

This is a large subject in the matter of SG. Ultimately, a large factor of winning is the loot you have. When you see someone who is in iron armor and a diamond take on someone who is in leather armor and has a wooden sword you can easily predict the outcome. The person with iron should win. Why? Because of his items? So in this topic I will go over, why are these items better? What items should you try to get? And how do I get them?

1. Your Main Weapon (Sword/Axe) - I.F - [High]

- This is along with the next factor (Armor) is what almost always settles a battle. If there is a battle with 2 people of equal armor, one has an iron sword, the other has a wooden axe. You can have a pretty good guess and say the iron is gonna win. Why? Because an iron sword does a lot more damage than the wooden axe. Here, are the damage statistics.

[Please note in this image it refers to half an heart as 1.]
This is also eliminates some myths of minecraft. Some people say "Stone Axes" do more damage than wooden swords. But, as you can see from the image they do the same damage. So, as you can see from the image the ideal weapon you want is an diamond or iron sword. You can not get these two weapons in chests. But, you can get diamonds and iron ingots and sticks in chests. So, when you have two diamonds or iron ingots and a stick. Find your closest crafting table and craft ahoy. You will then have a weapon that can kill better than Jason. (Don't look it up if you don't know it.) One last thing about weapons. Sword or Axe?
Sword - I always pick sword over axe. As you can see from the image above, swords do more damage than the axe in the equal tier. (Tier meaning diamond>iron>stone>wood.) And does equal damage to the axe in the tier below. Also with a sword, you are able to block hit and block arrows.
Axe - There is only 2 reasons that I can think of when picking an axe over a sword. 1. It will last longer, but I rarely see weapons break in a SG. And, 2. If it is 2 tiers above the sword. So, a iron axe should be picked over a wooden sword. And, a diamond axe should be picked over a stone sword. You can't block with an axe.

2. Your Armor - I.F [High]

- This along with your sword is the most important part of your items. Your armor changes the amount damage you take when hit. In here, I will try provide the basic information and a helpful tip. Here are the armor statistics.

You can note from this that actually an iron, chain or gold helmet have the same protection. Also, both chain and gold boots have the same protection. So dedicate too much time chasing a guy for armor that won't change your protection a single bit. This is mainly what I would say about armor in general. Always wear as much armor as you can. Even if you have full iron apart from no boots. If you see those leather boots on the floor. PICK THEM UP! I have countless times won a PvP battle by half a heart. Any armor can mean the difference from winning and losing.

3. Helpful Objects - I.F [Medium]
- Some objects people may throw away without knowing their great uses. These items are bows, fishing rods, flint n steels and boats. Their uses are quite simple and will gone through more detail in the PvP section, but here is the basis.
Bow: Easy this one, you shoot the player to damage them.
Fishing Rods: You can hit a teammate in front of you to boost them closer to an enemy. Or knock the enemy into something to stop his sprint. Most advanced players use them.
Flint n Steels: Light a player on fire. Damage them, stop them sprinting and put them off in a fight.
Boats: Get away from a player when near/in water.

4. Food - I.F [Low]
- Food is something that isn't really thought about too much during games. But, there is quite a lot behind it. The main part of food is saturation. The higher your food is the slower time it will take for you to lose hunger. And vice versa. So for this try to keep to high saturated foods.
_Zombie made a create thread about it. Check it out. -> CLICK ME LIKE ONE OF YOUR FRENCH GIRLS <-
But, the basic factors are that cooked foods like: steak, cooked fish, porkchops are good.
Bad foods are the raw things like Raw Fish, Raw Porkchop, Raw Beef. They aren't that good.

That is about it for food.
5. Your Materials - I.F [Low]
- Another not very important or thought about topic, but it does have some relevance. The main part of this is never leave items. In games the only items I will leave in chests is weapons that are worse than my current one and the same with armor. And sometimes food if I already have a lot. The materials you always want to keep are and why are here.
- Sticks (Swords, Arrows)
- Flint (Flint and Steels, Arrows)
- Feathers (Arrows)
- Iron Ingots (Iron Sword, Flint and Steels)
- Diamonds (Diamond Sword)
- Gold Ingots (Golden Apples - Although hard to find 8 of them, you can try.)

So that is it for the "Your Items" section, but you are probably all asking quite a big question after reading that.

Zach, how do I get this gear?
Most of you will probably know this by now but MCSG servers have two sets of chests. Tier 1's and Tier 2's. Tier 1's are effectively worse than Tier 2's. In Tier 1's you will mostly find some of the materials like Flint, Feathers, Sticks, maybe an Iron Ingot. Then maybe a wooden sword/axe or a stone axe. And to add probably some leather armor. These things are better than nothing, but not what you want to win a game. Tier 2's have gold/chain/iron armor. It often has diamonds/iron ingots and stone swords. Then, some of the helpful objects. Boats, bows and flint and steels are common.

So, then you ask. How do I get these tier 2 chests. Now, tier 2 chests are obviously quite rare. The experienced players often learn to memorize where a lot of the tier 2's on a map are. The best way thought to get tier 2's is to have a chest routes. These are routes around maps that try to include a lot of chests. You should always try to have chest routes for the most common maps. You can either download the maps and I find a route yourself. Or you can be the lazy one and look them up. In fact, I'm so nice I'm gonna look them up for you. -> CLICK ME LIKE ONE OF YOUR FRENCH GIRLS <-

So, now you have all your amazing loot. You have full iron but what use is it all if you come to death match and get destroyed by some PvP Masters. In this section I will be going over the basis of PvP and some helpful tips. There are some great threads out there. Like this one -> CLICK ME LIKE ONE- that is getting old now. <-

Topic 2 - PvP (Player vs Player)
PvP is essential in any SG. Without there would be no such thing as SG, so if it is so important you will want to be good at it, or at least know the tricks. Just to say that I am more or less a PvP noob, but what can you do. I will try give you some advice and tips to not be as dreadful as me.

Swords - Techniques and Tips - I.F [High]
1. Strafing - This is probably the most common tactic. You basically jump around a player while hitting them. This makes hard for them to hit you while you are landing lots of hits on them. You simply sprint jump while running around a player. I personally stafe anti-clockwise around people it is completely up to you. This tactic is normally used when both players are about to jump into a 1v1 fight.

2. Getting behind a player. - This is another common technique. It is similar to strafing, but has its differences. This technique is best when playing against inexperienced players. So the technique is quite simple you hit a player then run behind them and hit again. Players get confused and struggle to hit you.

3. Block Hitting - This is when you right click and left click at the same time. When you block you recieve less damage, however you can't move as well. You could try combining this with either of the other two techniques, but they both require high amounts of movement.

Bows - Techniques and Tips - I.F [Medium]
1. The Jump-Shot - This is a good tactic for a medium distance shoot-out. The basic aim is as soon as you shoot you jump to left or right. This means that when the other player fires back they miss. If you get into a good rhythm you can completely demolish with a bow. However, watch out this is a tactic used my many players.

2. The Spam-Shot - This is my favorite tactic. You basically fire quick shots into a player. They don't have to be at full power. This is great for when you are on the run. Find a narrow gap 1 or 2 blocks wide. Turn around and let a rip. The player will get knocked back each shot and not be able to get at you or escape.

TIP: Try to judge where people are gonna go. If someone is running away don't shoot at the spot where they are at the point in time. Shoot to where they are about to run to.

Fishing Rods - I.F - [Low]
Fishing Rods are a very helpful item often ignored by players. You can use them in many ways. The main way they are used is as a boost in a water fight. You boost your teammate or even yourself towards your victim. It does minimal damage but gives knockback. Another way they are used is in a 1v1 onland fight. Hitting someone with a fishing rod can knock them of their stride. They may hit a block lose their sprint and you can sweep and get the final shot. However, watch out for the backfire, if used wrongly they will boost your enemy further away from you. It is good for d-match when someone is running around in a circle. You can push them out, they could get struck by lightning or just known them off their line.
CREDIT Chiller4 You can also use the fishing rod to in a way stun people. They will lose valuable time and you can run in and get some valuable shots on them.

Flint and Steels - I.F - [Low]
Flint and Steels are a very helpful item. Try to keep them in a hotbar slot next to your sword. Try to lure a player into a narrow space similar to the spam shot space. Either turn and place down the fire or place the fire down below you and jump over it. (This is risky, only do it with practice.) Once a player is on fire always try to go for the kill. Fire is disorientating espcially with certain texture packs. It also can stop you sprinting well, so if they try run away you can pounce on them easily.

Topic 3 - Any Other Tips/Strategies
This is the topic most experienced players will want to see. Hopefully, this will fill up with helpful tips from all over the community. Some you will probably already know others you won't.

Teams - I.F - [Medium]
MCSG is filled with teams. Most people have probably played game where they were with a friend or just a random stranger and teamed with them. So, here is some good situations with tips on what to do.
2 v 1 - N o matter what a outnumbered fight is always going to be hard. I aim to kill the just 1 player. Put all your force into one person. When they die run. You could then try a spam-shot technique or a flint and steel. Or just run until you regen. No one likes runners, but in a 2 v 1 you can't complain. The other tactic when you see a team of two as a solo player is run. Wait for someone else to take them on then scumbag on them. Take them out while they are low.
2 v 2 - I use a similar tactic for this aswell. Aim for a single player. Once when is dead, that is one less sword you have to worry about. You can run if you are both low or just risk it and turn around and double team them. Often when a teammate dies, they try to avenge them or they run. When taking out that targeted player if you are in the water use a fishing rod to keep their teammate away from the fight.

Get Organized - I.F - [High]
You are probably thinking why is this rated HIGH. Well, I am someone who deeply suffers "Minecraft OCD". And it SG it is good. This is my typical inventory during a survival game. I will explain why.

I have my sword at slot 1. Followed by my rod. Then my bow. This is because I find that I need to use the fishing rod in situations right after using the sword more than the bow. I then have my flint and steels at slots 9 and 8. This is so I can get to them quickly with my sword. Everyone will have their own favorite hotbar layout, but if you don't have one at all this could be something to get ideas from.

Know the Map - I.F - [Medium]
This is another key to winning in SG. This comes hand in hand with chest routes. It is all about knowledge of the map. But this can mean more than just chest routes. It means you are are able to get to spawn easily. You know where the crafting tables or enchantment tables are. Getting to know a map isn't something that can be learnt really. Yes, you can download the map and look around a bit. But, the best way to really start to know a map is simply practice. Practice, Practice, PRACTICE! That is the key for a lot of things.

Your Ping - I.F - [High]
CREDIT Tartanian
This is a big part of MCSG. your ping in a way is your connection to the server. To boost your ping try to play on the server hosted in the same region as you. So if you are in EU play on eu.mcgamer.net. If you are in the US play on us.mcgamer.net. Other than that it is hard to boost your ping without going into your router and mgbs. Bad ping can result in - Ghosting (Getting tp'd back to a certain spot). - Other players seem laggy. - and more bad things that I just forgot. <- That one is important.

Your FPS - I.F - [Medium]
You have most likely heard the term FPS before. If you don't know what it means it stands for "Frames per Second". Your FPS is another reason for the phrase "Lagggggggggg". It is when your minecraft seems slow or choppy. It is hard to describe, but no one likes low FPS. There are numerous ways to boost your FPS best listed here. -> CLICK ME <-

Minties Pro Guide Mint_Sibs - I.F - [Varies]
I quote.
"
Listen up here minties gonna tell you his now god secrets. Don't go back and forth. You will loose every single fight. Also don't do that pattern crap. Just fricking move one way and another randomly because it's soooo easy to predict a pattern by just watching. And when all fails stand still. It works trust me. Especially if you were moving before.
Another tip for dodging is lengthening your dodging distance. Sometimes you can just step. Other times sprint jump , just mix it up.
Those were my godly secrets.
And don't EVER GO BACK AND FORTH I SWEAR IT SO ANNOYINGLY EASY TO HIT.
"

Overlord's Hacker Advice OverLord547 - I.F - [Medium]

"What about the hackers?

Set a hacker on fire if he burns it straight out he is a regen hacker either poke a mod on TS or just leave.
Hit a hacker if he doesn't move and doesn't have sprint particles he has anti-knockback and is likely to have other hacks such as aimbot. Again poke a mod on TS or just leave.
TS=TeamSpeak3
IP for the TeamSpeak - ts.mcgamer.net
Hoped this helped baby!" - Overlord

So as you can tell these sections seem a little empty. So, comment some of your tips and tricks you are willing to share with the public. I will credit you. There is an ideal template at the top, but do what you want. I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this, or at least some of it.

Thanks, Zach.

Attachments

Last edited:

Chiller4

District 13
Reaction score
Wow, nice guide! In the fishing rod, I would also add something about the infinite fishing rod, and using it to stun it get extra hits.

Tartanian

Experienced
Reaction score
Very nice guide :D! It's great that you spent your time to write this ! Maybe another important factor would be to get good ping?:p

Mint_Sibs

District 13
Reaction score
Listen up here minties gonna tell you his now god secrets. Don't go back and forth. You will loose every single fight. Also don't do that pattern crap. Just fricking move one way and another randomly because it's soooo easy to predict a pattern by just watching. And when all fails stand still. It works trust me. Especially if you were moving before.
Another tip for dodging is lengthening your dodging distance. Sometimes you can just step. Other times sprint jump , just mix it up.
Those were my godly secrets.
And don't EVER GO BACK AND FORTH I SWEAR IT SO ANNOYINGLY EASY TO HIT.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci