• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

A way to stop spambots: Thread Making requirements.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
So I've thought of a way to stop a lot of the spam on the forums.

Idea:
  • Have it so new users need to make X (I suggest between 5-10) amount of posts on the forums before they are allowed to make threads.
    (Excluding the Report abuse, Ban Appeal, General Support, and Introduce Yourself Sections.)
  • Status Updates, Comments on statuses and wall posts don't count towards fulfilling the requirement.
I got this idea from XDA-Developers, you can't post in the Android Development sections of a device until you have made 5 posts somewhere else.
I'm sure other forums have a similar system too.

How this could be implemented:
  • Have it setup similar to the whole, "New Member". "Member", "Active Member" thing. The rank could still be displayed as "New Member", but they won't have permissions to make threads until they reach X posts.
Yes the spambots post spam status updates sometimes, but the bulk of the spam is in the form of threads being made.

Bonus':
  • It would also stop new people who don't know the rules and haven't gotten accustomed to the forums from making those annoying threads we see all the time. You know the ones. ;)
So what do you guys think? If it's possible to implement, would you like this?

I'll add more to this as I think of them and receive ideas/feedback.

Shroom_Agent_27

Tribute
Reaction score
I like this idea. Great concept. I'm sure even the introverts can make 5 posts, even if it's just like this one. ;)

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
Would profile posts count as posts? Because I see many spambots post their spam as status updates.

Toast

District 13
Reaction score
Don't think so, a simple captcha would be good for making treads to reduce spam-bots, or maybe a "click if you're a human" button.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I like this idea. Great concept. I'm sure even the introverts can make 5 posts, even if it's just like this one. ;);)
Ya I'm one of those introverts. But I've gotten comfortable with this community now so I can manage posting more now.

Do profile posts count as posts? Because I see many spambots post their spam as status updates.
I'd say no to that. Anyone could just go and make 5 random derpy status updates and get around this system.

So Status updates, comments on them and walls probably shouldn't count. I'll add that.
Don't think so, a simple captcha would be good for making treads to reduce spam-bots, or maybe a "click if you're a human" button.
There is captcha for making accounts, the spambots can get around that too.

5Life

crafter extraordinaire
Reaction score
I just go on the General Support section.
And then that report button is hit more than one time.

Erisyuka

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Revised the Initial post. Let me know what you guys think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci