• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Absolution V2 | AU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
1) You both left?
2) The old clan disbanded 1 year ago. You can't call copyright either since this is a no profit organisation. This means clans have no sway toward law or copyright. This clan is perfectly legal with its name.
The clan name is perfectly legal, but is being used in a way that is referencing the old clan but without credit for the original creators. No reference, no need for credit.

FadeAU

Experienced
Reaction score
The clan name is perfectly legal, but is being used in a way that is referencing the old clan but without credit for the original creators. No reference, no need for credit.
dude who cares absolution (old clan) was bad anyway lmao we 5-0 them in scrim

T

TACOSAURUS

Hello.
I am GamerChappy, one of the original owners of #Absolution. I've decided to post here to clear up some problems and hopefully provide a solution. Ownership was given to me by trevor1641 and I managed the clan until it went dark (again). Click here to view the old thread.

For easier reading, I will point out things in this post that you need to consider.

Here are some answers:

1. TeeeNTeee a.k.a Taine IS trevor1641. Contact me via PM and I can provide you with his old Skype and past conversations. Listen to what he says.

2. 'Copyright law protects "original works of authorship," fixed in a tangible medium including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and other intellectual works.' This includes the name.

3. 'There are six basic rights protected by copyright. The owner of copyright has the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do the following:
  • To reproduce;
  • To prepare derivative works based upon;
  • To distribute copies of;
  • To publicly perform;
  • To publicly display;
  • To digitally transmit;
A violation of any of the exclusive rights of the copyright holder is a copyright infringement, unless fair use (or a similar affirmative defense) applies.

4. Fair use states that "the fair use of a copyrighted work ... is not an infringement of copyright." Some notes to consider about fair use:
  • Purpose and character of use, including whether the use is of commercial or nonprofit.
  • Nature of the copyrighted work.
  • Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole.
  • Effect of the use upon the value of the copyrighted work.
"The justification of the fair use turns primarily on whether the challenged use is transformative. "The use must be productive and must employ the quoted matter in a different manner or for a different purpose from the original. Material that merely repackages or republishes the original is unlikely to pass".

5. To sum up;
  • trevor1641 and GamerChappy are the original owners of the intellectual property "Absolution", which was used as a name for a Minecraft PvP clan for MCSG, a group of 'Hunger-Games-style" Minecraft servers, specifically, Australian servers. The nature of both 'yours' and 'ours' is identical. Fair use can now no longer be applied as a dispute.
  • According to the six basic rights, you can not reproduce, publicly display, or digitally transmit this property without the owner's authorization.
  • Not only have you not been given permission to use this work, but you are acting like you own this property. Even then, you have denied to comply with the owners of this property (TeeeNTeee) after they have asked you to take it down.
6. As a final statement;
According to Copyright law, you have infringed multiple rights which protect this property. As an owner 'Absolution', I will give you a few options that--if followed--will fix this problem.
a) Acknowledge the original owners, by giving them credit in your promotional title and in the information tab of your clan. It should look like this:

Not only are you crediting the original owners, but you are referencing veterans of MCSG which is sure to boost your reputation. It's a win-win.

If you do not comply with these simple terms you will have to:

b) Change the name of your clan, meaning you can no longer reference the past reputation of Absolution.

c) Disband the clan (willingly or by force).

Regards,
Daniel.
I'll choose 'A' please.

GamerChappy

Experienced
Reaction score
I'll choose 'A' please.
EDIT: My bad.
Thank you very much for respecting us, I wish you good luck in future battles and that Absolution grows beyond what it used to be. Respect.

Last edited:
T

TACOSAURUS

Very smart, modifying the quote. ;P
I hoped you guys wouldn't act like this but I don't want to start a war. You say you're from V1 and I'm pretty sure I know who you are, and this makes me even sadder that you choose to not credit your old friends. Still, good luck in future battles, I hope Absolution grows.
I wasn't in Absolution V1, and I didn't make this thread (Xeption was). I'm sorry that this occurred and you had to waste your time on this :/ Xeption must have forgotten. Try to enjoy the rest of your day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci