• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Affect vs Effect

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Whats the difference?
I've seen them both used in the same context and idk if it's people that are making mistakes or idek.

Burningcupcakes

Platinum
Reaction score
As a verb, to affect means 'to act upon or have an influence on', as in "Sunless days affect my mood." It can also mean 'to make a show of; to put on a pretense of; to feign; to assume' as "to affect ignorance." To effect means 'to bring about or create' as in "to effect a change." If you affect something, you do to it. If you effect something, you cause it to be. Advertising might affect the sales of widgets (by causing them to increase), or it can effect sales (bring them about) if, for example, there were no sales at all to begin with. As a noun, effect means 'result, consequence, outcome'. An effect is that which is produced when you affect something: "The poem affected me deeply; it really had an effect on me." Affect as a noun is a term from the field of psychotherapy meaning 'the emotional complex associated with an idea or mental state'. Keep in mind that usually if you want a noun, the word you want is effect, but if you want a verb, the word you want is affect.

Thats what the dictionary says. If you still need help understanding this as the dictionary isn't that clear just tell me. Have a great day!

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
I never bothered to learn this; I just use "impact" :p

Reaction score
As a verb, to affect means 'to act upon or have an influence on', as in "Sunless days affect my mood." It can also mean 'to make a show of; to put on a pretense of; to feign; to assume' as "to affect ignorance." To effect means 'to bring about or create' as in "to effect a change." If you affect something, you do to it. If you effect something, you cause it to be. Advertising might affect the sales of widgets (by causing them to increase), or it can effect sales (bring them about) if, for example, there were no sales at all to begin with. As a noun, effect means 'result, consequence, outcome'. An effect is that which is produced when you affect something: "The poem affected me deeply; it really had an effect on me." Affect as a noun is a term from the field of psychotherapy meaning 'the emotional complex associated with an idea or mental state'. Keep in mind that usually if you want a noun, the word you want is effect, but if you want a verb, the word you want is affect.

Thats what the dictionary says. If you still need help understanding this as the dictionary isn't that clear just tell me. Have a great day!
This over here.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score

I just saw a lot of words, and a ton of spooky bolded words and gave up.

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
Affect is a verb.
Effect is a noun.
Ta-Da :)
ef·fect
əˈfekt/
verb
verb: effect; 3rd person present: effects; past tense:effected; past participle: effected; gerund or present participle: effecting
  1. 1.
    cause (something) to happen; bring about.
    "nature always effected a cure"
    synonyms:achieve, accomplish, carry out,realize, manage, bring off, execute,conduct, engineer, perform, do,perpetrate, discharge, complete,consummate;More
    cause, bring about, create, produce,make;
    provoke, occasion, generate,engender, actuate, initiate;
    formal effectuate
    "they effected many changes"

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
ef·fect
əˈfekt/
verb
verb: effect; 3rd person present: effects; past tense:effected; past participle: effected; gerund or present participle: effecting
  1. 1.
    cause (something) to happen; bring about.
    "nature always effected a cure"
    synonyms:achieve, accomplish, carry out,realize, manage, bring off, execute,conduct, engineer, perform, do,perpetrate, discharge, complete,consummate;More
    cause, bring about, create, produce,make;
    provoke, occasion, generate,engender, actuate, initiate;
    formal effectuate
    "they effected many changes"
I'm not sure where you got that information :p
I always think about it in terms of "Special Effects." This being a noun, the word effects is a noun.
By process of elimination, the word affect is a verb.

How does the crime rate affect hiring levels by local police forces?
What effect did the loss have on the team?

The only way that affect can be used as a noun is when it's used in the concept of an expression, like so:
The woman took the news of her husband's sudden death with little affect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci