• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Are Referees Famous?

Are referees famous?

• Yes

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters

JennoKoala

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
First of all, by famous I do not necessarily mean they're recognised around the world, however, Spike11 suggested that refereeing is boring so in my defence I had to argue. I mentioned that referees featured in newspapers (for the wrong reasons) and they were on TV! Obviously Spike argued otherwise stating that they weren't. Good referees are surrounded by world famous soccer/football players they travel round the country and maybe even the world! They visit stadiums that hold 50,000+ people and they get paid thousands. So, are referees famous? Also, is the job of referee a boring one?

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
It's probably not boring, but they get little to no attention. If they get a bunch of attention it's probably because they did something wrong.

ScrewYouGumby2

Diamond
Reaction score
Ok, well you are going to have to tell us what you mean by famous then.

fa·mous
ˈfāməs/
adjective
adjective: famous
  1. 1.
    known about by many people.
    "the country is famous for its natural beauty"
    synonyms:well known, prominent, famed, popular;More
    renowned, noted, eminent, distinguished, esteemed, celebrated, respected;
    of distinction, of repute;
    illustrious, acclaimed, great, legendary, lionized;
    having one's name in lights;
    notorious, infamous
    "an exhibit featuring the artwork of famous actors"
    antonyms:unknown

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
First of all, by famous I do not necessarily mean they're recognised around the world, however, Spike11 suggested that refereeing is boring so in my defence I had to argue. I mentioned that referees featured in newspapers (for the wrong reasons) and they were on TV! Obviously Spike argued otherwise stating that they weren't. Good referees are surrounded by world famous soccer/football players they travel round the country and maybe even the world! They visit stadiums that hold 50,000+ people and they get paid thousands. So, are referees famous? Also, is the job of referee a boring one?
I know that you want to be a soccer referee when you grow up. The thing is no matter what anybody says you should just do what you want to do and have a hell of a time!

JennoKoala

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's probably not boring, but they get little to no attention. If they get a bunch of attention it's probably because they did something wrong.
Well, as I told spike, England must publicise referees more as there's endless articles in newspapers and pictures on the Internet. Go type Howard Webb in on Google.

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Well, as I told spike, England must publicise referees more as there's endless articles in newspapers and pictures on the Internet. Go type Howard Webb in on Google.
Yeah they are probably more popular over in England than here in Australia America

JennoKoala

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Ok, well you are going to have to tell us what you mean by famous then.

fa·mous
ˈfāməs/
adjective
adjective: famous
  1. 1.
    known about by many people.
    "the country is famous for its natural beauty"
    synonyms:well known, prominent, famed, popular;More
    renowned, noted, eminent, distinguished, esteemed, celebrated, respected;
    of distinction, of repute;
    illustrious, acclaimed, great, legendary, lionized;
    having one's name in lights;
    notorious, infamous
    "an exhibit featuring the artwork of famous actors"
    antonyms:unknown
Alright, do you take into account the referees name if you watch sport of course... If so if you was waking down the street would you recognise him?

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
My ultimate umpire goal in baseball:

Step 1: Have player be one pitch away from a perfect game.
Step 2: Have the runner attempt to run to first base, but he gets out before he touches base by like 30 feet.
Step 3: Call it safe.
Step 4: Be the most hated umpire in existence, but at least become famous.

(I know there's a news story pretty similar to this, but I want to make the last run so stupidly obvious he was out that'd I'd have no choice but to be on national broadcasts everywhere.)

billyguy1

Mockingjay
Reaction score
My ultimate umpire goal in baseball:

Step 1: Have player be one pitch away from a perfect game.
Step 2: Have the runner attempt to run to first base, but he gets out before he touches base by like 30 feet.
Step 3: Call it safe.
Step 4: Be the most hated umpire in existence, but at least become famous.

(I know there's a news story pretty similar to this, but I want to make the last run so stupidly obvious he was out that'd I'd have no choice but to be on national broadcasts everywhere.)
A fellow ump :D
Step two(especially) would get you killed by the fans in a second xD

ScrewYouGumby2

Diamond
Reaction score
Alright, do you take into account the referees name if you watch sport of course... If so if you was waking down the street would you recognised him?
No, since I watch hockey and the broadcasters usually talk about the players. When I think about referees there are about two names that I know of, neither of which I would recognize.

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
A fellow ump :D
Step two(especially) would get you killed by the fans in a second xD
I'm actually not an umpire, and nor do I play baseball, but if I ever do I'd definitely try out my plan on somebody.

But I'd be famous. c:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci