• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Back to School.

Tuatara

District 13
Reaction score
At least 2,500 of my messages have come from my phone when I'm in the car/truck/on a bus (we travel... a lot...) or on my small breaks I have within my post-school day and on weekends. I can really only play Minecraft itself on Wednesdays, Fridays and most weekend days (when we're actually at home).

This isn't even the half of it, it was much worse during Marching Band season. I had the same amount of homework, plus practice Monday-Thursday from 6-9, football games were on Friday nights so we stayed through to practice/preform, then we had competitions on Saturdays. Sundays I had church in the morning meaning that I basically crammed all my homework in on Sunday afternoons c:
You are a extremely busy person, if I was you I would be dead!! I can't believe you can do all that. That is AWESOME! Keep it up! c:

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
Honestly, I just hate school.
I hate my classmates
I hate my teachers
I hate waking up for school
I hate eating at school
I hate walking at school
I hate homework
I hate grades

School isn't that bad, but I still hate it.

Scott

District 13
Reaction score
The reason I don't like school is because work. Too much work, that is.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
Wow! Great thread here Crisp! I actually enjoyed this read, which is a rare thing around here at times.

It's awesome that you have such a positive attitude toward school, even though it sucks sometimes. Your approach of isolating what you don't like about school seems effective. A good rule in general is: If you can't change
school should not give homework
This is an interesting topic. I know France is currently trying out a no-homework system, but students there have to go to school six days a week. I don't know how effective it has been, though. I suppose students get the practice they need during school.

In regards to the homework-or-not debate, think back to the classes you took last year, assuming you are in middle/high school. Think of the one that had the most homework. Did you not learn the most from that class? I don't usually like homework, but you can't deny that just sitting in class half asleep all day won't teach you much. It's when you actually figure things out for yourself that you actually learn.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
I have to say, though, teachers go overboard a lot. Particularly in the early years of education, they give you pointless busy work that honestly seems to have no purpose but to shut you up and keep you out of trouble. What exactly do I learn from sitting there, coloring a freaking bunny? What about those crossword puzzles, dumb flash cards, "projects", group "projects", (shudder), and other menial tasks? Curriculums need to be made more efficient, and I think teachers need to be trained on how to assign work that actually has meaning and purpose, rather than art projects that make less gifted children feel worthless and untalented.

If I ruled the world, elementary school would be only 5.5 hours long and go from 8:30 to2:00 and consist of:
  • One hour of math, interactive and matching a student's individual pace, including constant review to prevent forgetting old concepts. (Don't teach kids 50 ways to do subtraction, just show them the easiest way then have them play a game to solidify the knowledge.)
  • 1 hours of language studies, consisting mainly of reading books that kids actually like, as well as grammar, spelling, and vocabulary thrown into the mix. (Why are we still teaching kids cursive... *facepalm)
  • Half an hour of science, maybe not teaching the kids the water cycle for half the year. Get them to learn about chemistry and food/health science earlier.
  • Half an hour of history, but not the watered down crap that they tried to shove down my throat. Tell it how it is.
  • Hour and a half of lunch/recess, but make the kids sign waivers for recess so that the aids don't have to swoop in and "save" kids every time they look at the grass wrong.
  • Final hour would be the fun/personal studies time, when kids could learn a musical instrument, or develop a personal skill such as programming, art, etc... freely at their own pace
The reason I think school days should be shorter for elementary schoolers is that I simply don't think many of them are mature enough to really grow that much. How long did it take to drill multiplication tables from 1-10 into most kid's heads? About five years, and even then, only about half of them had them down by junior high. It's disgustingly inefficient, and I feel like half the reason the school day is so long for young children, who are often very antsy, is to give them a place to be while their parents are at work. However, we waste a lot of resources and time just keeping routy kids holed up in school doing busy work for far longer than they want to be. There could be more after school clubs/groups added for kids to study while their parents are away at work.

Of course that might reduce teacher's pay, but it shouldn't. Teachers should still have a 40-hour week and if we want teachers to do their jobs better, they need more pay. They deal with bratty kids all day, have to have a degree, and still get more criticism than almost anyone. At least in the US, I think teachers need to earn more like $45,000-55,000 per year rather than $30,000.

Finally, there needs to be more incentive to learn. In high school, graduation and getting accepted into colleges is looming ahead, so many students really step up their game and start doing a lot better in school when high school hits. I don't think candy and trinkets are enough to motivate anyone to change their ways.

There are a lot of things screwed up about the education system, but I'm still grateful that I have a good school to go to, and so does much of the world. In the future, I hope we can change our ways so that we can get a lot more out of our young people.

SonicSplit

Career
Reaction score
Honestly great thread ^_^ also since homework seems to be a popular controversy I believe homework should be given weekly-every 2 weeks. I personally think homework is more of an annoyance then learning(or at least for my school. Bright side only 2 classes at my school give homework daily ^_____________________________________^

AGFire2013

District 13
Reaction score
Personally, I love school (yes I'm sane), but I know what it feels like to hate it. My old school was pretty awful and this thread is going to help those people a lot c:

zCrits_

Career
Reaction score
Wow! Great thread here Crisp! I actually enjoyed this read, which is a rare thing around here at times.

It's awesome that you have such a positive attitude toward school, even though it sucks sometimes. Your approach of isolating what you don't like about school seems effective. A good rule in general is: If you can't change

This is an interesting topic. I know France is currently trying out a no-homework system, but students there have to go to school six days a week. I don't know how effective it has been, though. I suppose students get the practice they need during school.

In regards to the homework-or-not debate, think back to the classes you took last year, assuming you are in middle/high school. Think of the one that had the most homework. Did you not learn the most from that class? I don't usually like homework, but you can't deny that just sitting in class half asleep all day won't teach you much. It's when you actually figure things out for yourself that you actually learn.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
I have to say, though, teachers go overboard a lot. Particularly in the early years of education, they give you pointless busy work that honestly seems to have no purpose but to shut you up and keep you out of trouble. What exactly do I learn from sitting there, coloring a freaking bunny? What about those crossword puzzles, dumb flash cards, "projects", group "projects", (shudder), and other menial tasks? Curriculums need to be made more efficient, and I think teachers need to be trained on how to assign work that actually has meaning and purpose, rather than art projects that make less gifted children feel worthless and untalented.

If I ruled the world, elementary school would be only 5.5 hours long and go from 8:30 to2:00 and consist of:
  • One hour of math, interactive and matching a student's individual pace, including constant review to prevent forgetting old concepts. (Don't teach kids 50 ways to do subtraction, just show them the easiest way then have them play a game to solidify the knowledge.)
  • 1 hours of language studies, consisting mainly of reading books that kids actually like, as well as grammar, spelling, and vocabulary thrown into the mix. (Why are we still teaching kids cursive... *facepalm)
  • Half an hour of science, maybe not teaching the kids the water cycle for half the year. Get them to learn about chemistry and food/health science earlier.
  • Half an hour of history, but not the watered down crap that they tried to shove down my throat. Tell it how it is.
  • Hour and a half of lunch/recess, but make the kids sign waivers for recess so that the aids don't have to swoop in and "save" kids every time they look at the grass wrong.
  • Final hour would be the fun/personal studies time, when kids could learn a musical instrument, or develop a personal skill such as programming, art, etc... freely at their own pace
The reason I think school days should be shorter for elementary schoolers is that I simply don't think many of them are mature enough to really grow that much. How long did it take to drill multiplication tables from 1-10 into most kid's heads? About five years, and even then, only about half of them had them down by junior high. It's disgustingly inefficient, and I feel like half the reason the school day is so long for young children, who are often very antsy, is to give them a place to be while their parents are at work. However, we waste a lot of resources and time just keeping routy kids holed up in school doing busy work for far longer than they want to be. There could be more after school clubs/groups added for kids to study while their parents are away at work.

Of course that might reduce teacher's pay, but it shouldn't. Teachers should still have a 40-hour week and if we want teachers to do their jobs better, they need more pay. They deal with bratty kids all day, have to have a degree, and still get more criticism than almost anyone. At least in the US, I think teachers need to earn more like $45,000-55,000 per year rather than $30,000.

Finally, there needs to be more incentive to learn. In high school, graduation and getting accepted into colleges is looming ahead, so many students really step up their game and start doing a lot better in school when high school hits. I don't think candy and trinkets are enough to motivate anyone to change their ways.

There are a lot of things screwed up about the education system, but I'm still grateful that I have a good school to go to, and so does much of the world. In the future, I hope we can change our ways so that we can get a lot more out of our young people.
NO HOMEWORK STILL, u understand???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci