• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

SURVIVAL GAMES Blazing Dunes | A Survival Games Map by Team Blaze

Why aren't you voting for this map?

• yes

• no

• wat

• cheese?

• I'd Love too!

• This isn't supposed to be a conversation

• I do what I want

Results are only viewable after voting.

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I like it, but a few things I think need to change before it becomes MCGamer-worthy:
1) The detail varies. It seems like you ignored areas of the map and put all your focus into a few main areas. To fix this, simply add detail to less interesting parts of the map.
2) Make sure traveling through caves and underground areas isn't too much of a pain.
3) Fire creates lag. Try to use it as little as possible.
4) More paths to split up large areas of sand.
5) Maybe build a deathmatch arena?

However, I think the exteriors, caves, and terraforming looks aesthetically pleasing.
Dismissing criticism? I was just addressing their suggestions. I appreciate their criticism, but I'm not going to automatically change everything that anyone suggests. I was just telling them my point of view. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be posting here in the first place.
If you want to assure to people that you are okay with their feelings, try to only give the facts. Just thank people for their constructive criticism and time. If you feel like something was intentional, say so, but don't elaborate a lot.
There's a lot of detail in most areas. We've put an incredible amount of detail into every corner of the map, making all area full of secrets, traps, and new ideas to explore.
Detail is VITAL in a map, and if you see part of the map sloppily built, it will play the "ghetto" role of the map.
Also, just secrets, traps, and ideas don't define detail. You have to make sure your interiors, exteriors, and surfaces are all detailed.
There are some builds with little detail, sure, but they're basically just filler builds, and they're vastly outnumbered by the detailed ones.
MCSG is not going to accept "mediocre" detail in some areas. 90% of the popular maps on the servers have been drowned in detail, and that impresses people. You have to build to amaze, to go beyond "it's good enough."
Maybe you should download the map and take a closer look before posting something as harsh as that. We try to be fair here on Team Blaze.
Funny, I've never seen someone be so rash to a person who has offered their time and opinion to the other's cause.

RedTieCreeper

Spectator
Reaction score
Great map, but IMO no desert map could ever compare to Eye of Horus. Good luck though!
We actually started this map before the eye of Horus, which I know is a great map I agree. However, we tried to pick the perfect combination of pvp optimization and game-play to create the ultimate experience, instead of putting too many details, which can sometimes annoy the players and even cause lag, as I'm sure another experienced builder such as yourself knows very well. Thanks Again for your greatly appreciated feedback, RTC

Giver

Experienced
Reaction score
We actually started this map before the eye of Horus, which I know is a great map I agree. However, we tried to pick the perfect combination of pvp optimization and game-play to create the ultimate experience, instead of putting too many details, which can sometimes annoy the players and even cause lag, as I'm sure another experienced builder such as yourself knows very well. Thanks Again for your greatly appreciated feedback, RTC
I completely understand what you mean by the balance of detail and the pvp aspect, Take SG4 for example.. Doesn't have a ton of detail, but still is very well built and has a great pvp aspect. Same with a lot of other maps. So I think you have the right mindset when it comes to that. But if I were you, I would really take into consideration the community's critiques because after all, they are the ones that will be playing the map the most. I can't even count the amount of times I went back and changed major or minor things on my map because the community had such great constructive criticism. And when you take the time to incorporate their suggestions it makes for a great map that will leave everyone happy!
I really think MCGamer could use a desert themed map. It's a great concept and there also isn't a 24 player one at the moment. Just keep in mind it takes a lot to get a map accepted that will also do well with voting and gameplay. Good luck to you and Team Blaze! :)

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Take SG4 for example.. Doesn't have a ton of detail, but still is very well built and has a great pvp aspect.
They used a simple style, and they stayed consistent with that. It's either some detail or tons of it, so that's something to take in mind while editing this map, guys.

BAGHRB

Career
Reaction score
Dismissing criticism? I was just addressing their suggestions. I appreciate their criticism, but I'm not going to automatically change everything that anyone suggests. I was just telling them my point of view. If you can't understand that, you shouldn't be posting here in the first place.

It's true that areas with a little terraforming can be good for PvP, but what's wrong with no terraforming in some areas? As long as it's not a giant flat plain of bland nothingness.

There's a lot of detail in most areas. We've put an incredible amount of detail into every corner of the map, making all area full of secrets, traps, and new ideas to explore. There are some builds with little detail, sure, but they're basically just filler builds, and they're vastly outnumbered by the detailed ones. Could you please tell us what aspects of the map could be improved with more details?

Maybe you should download the map and take a closer look before posting something as harsh as that. We try to be fair here on Team Blaze.
I personally think that the area around the sphinx is flat, and you tried to replace terraforming with more structures. That gives the area an overcrowded feel. Maybe widen the space between structures and make some hills, a river, or huts?

benji_r

Career
Reaction score
Eye of horus was almost too cluttered and too dark. But I feel this does still need some work, varying the blocks used in the terraforming and detailing the builds some more. Other than that it looks not too bad :)

RedTieCreeper

Spectator
Reaction score
Eye of horus was almost too cluttered and too dark. But I feel this does still need some work, varying the blocks used in the terraforming and detailing the builds some more. Other than that it looks not too bad :)
Thank you for your consideration, and its especially valuable to us at Team Blaze that you've shared your consideration, knowing you've had one of your maps accepted. We've decided as a Team to let things play out, see what people like and don't like and then we may eventually go back and revamp the map. Thanks again, RTC

DragonWizard373737

Spectator
Reaction score
I like it, but a few things I think need to change before it becomes MCGamer-worthy:
1) The detail varies. It seems like you ignored areas of the map and put all your focus into a few main areas. To fix this, simply add detail to less interesting parts of the map.
2) Make sure traveling through caves and underground areas isn't too much of a pain.
3) Fire creates lag. Try to use it as little as possible.
4) More paths to split up large areas of sand.
5) Maybe build a deathmatch arena?
1. Alright, I see what you mean, and I'll try to fix this if we decide to update the map.
2. I think the caves are decently easy to travel through. Maybe not completely effortless (there's one cave where you need to go up vines to progress) but since you're basically cutting through mountains, it's not an incredible amount of effort.
3. There's some places where I think fire could probably be removed. Does lava cause the same issue though?
4. This could work for one part of the map, but I don't think we could actually do this for the other parts because they are too hilly.
5. We actually already have one, but it's not in the screenshots at the moment. The cords are on the main post.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I personally think that the area around the sphinx is flat, and you tried to replace terraforming with more structures. That gives the area an overcrowded feel. Maybe widen the space between structures and make some hills, a river, or huts?
Thanks for your input. As Red said, we're going to wait for things to play out. If we decide to go back and revamp it, I'll definitely keep this in mind and try to improve the area you're referring to.

I completely understand what you mean by the balance of detail and the pvp aspect, Take SG4 for example.. Doesn't have a ton of detail, but still is very well built and has a great pvp aspect. Same with a lot of other maps. So I think you have the right mindset when it comes to that. But if I were you, I would really take into consideration the community's critiques because after all, they are the ones that will be playing the map the most. I can't even count the amount of times I went back and changed major or minor things on my map because the community had such great constructive criticism. And when you take the time to incorporate their suggestions it makes for a great map that will leave everyone happy!
I really think MCGamer could use a desert themed map. It's a great concept and there also isn't a 24 player one at the moment. Just keep in mind it takes a lot to get a map accepted that will also do well with voting and gameplay. Good luck to you and Team Blaze! :)
Thanks for your comment! If we decide to update this map, I'll listen to the what the community has to say so far as you suggested. :)

For those of you that are wondering, non-shaders screenshots should be up later today. I'm about to go take them right now.

Edit: Here are some non-shaders screenshots. RTC should post them on the main topic soon:

Last edited:

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
1. Alright, I see what you mean, and I'll try to fix this if we decide to update the map.
2. I think the caves are decently easy to travel through. Maybe not completely effortless (there's one cave where you need to go up vines to progress) but since you're basically cutting through mountains, it's not an incredible amount of effort.
3. There's some places where I think fire could probably be removed. Does lava cause the same issue though?
4. This could work for one part of the map, but I don't think we could actually do this for the other parts because they are too hilly.
5. We actually already have one, but it's not in the screenshots at the moment. The cords are on the main post.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Ok, thanks!
Lava can create similar issues (this is why some people hate Demon's Breeze). However, lava acts very similar to water, which doesn't really cause lag, even in large amounts. The main issue with lava lag is lighting. Deathmatches on DB suffer from glass over lava, an ineffective way of lighting the map that can really kill laptops.

I feel like fire is important to the map, and I have an idea to make it more impressive. Stained Glass Panes encasing Glowstone add variety, and they still work as "fake, lagless fire." Things like the deathmatch's hanging cages could really interest players and attract their attention to detail.

As for the lava bordering the deathmatch arena, I think it's fine, as long as you don't use any more blocks than necessary. Try to make sure that the surroundings of the arena is not air.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci