• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Can online friends last forever?

What do you guys think?

• Yes they can (explain why)

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • No (explain why)

Votes: 9 39.1%

• Total voters

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
As I get into minor fights with my IRL friends, go through hard times, or just need to smile my online friends have always been there fore me...The thing is almost all of them seem to come and go or loose interest in gaming and im left in the dust. When I came back all of my friends had moved on, just didn't seem to like me anymore,or had no time to play with me. At this point I had one online friend left Cenalock54 he doesn't play MCSG anymore but he is still my friend. I started talking to him less and less to a point where I havent spoken to him in a month or 2. Near the time I started playing again I met yannr00s we became really good friends but when I got on my old skype and saw all my old friends I asked myself can online friendships last as long as IRL ones or even forever? What do you guys think? This has been bothering me for some time now.

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
As I get into minor fights with my IRL friends, go through hard times, or just need to smile my online friends have always been there fore me...The thing is almost all of them seem to come and go or loose interest in gaming and im left in the dust. When I came back all of my friends had moved on, just didn't seem to like me anymore,or had no time to play with me. At this point I had one online friend left Cenalock54 he doesn't play MCSG anymore but he is still my friend. I started talking to him less and less to a point where I havent spoken to him in a month or 2. Near the time I started playing again I met yannr00s we became really good friends but when I got on my old skype and saw all my old friends I asked myself can online friendships last as long as IRL ones or even forever? What do you guys think? This has been bothering me for some time now.
Our friendship will last as long as you will be online and want to be my friend. I will always be there for you and have you as a friend on my Skype. :)

Edit: I think online friendships end, not because the people get bored of each other, they get bored of the game. Like you said, your old friendships ended because they don't play MCSG anymore. Than your last friend that you don't talk to anymore, you stopped talking to him when you quit. I think that once you take a break, or stop playing the game that you guys met on, the friendship will break.

ImTheNarwhal

District 13
Reaction score
The likely-hood is no. Although you may make stronger bonds with people online, it gets highly impractical when your on the other side of the world from them and have to move on. In comparison, IRL relationships are more fixed. You can't really drop out of an IRL relationship and there isn't something you need to rely on to keep that relationship up

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
Our friendship will last as long as you will be online and want to be my friend. I will always be there for you and have you as a friend on my Skype. :)
<3 Ill try to get on more when I get back...I also wish u had xbone then we could play ESO when it comes out on console :(. I just fear the days MCSG goes down...then what? but...I bet that won't be for a longgggg time :)

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
<3 Ill try to get on more when I get back...I also wish u had xbone then we could play ESO when it comes out on console :(. I just fear the days MCSG goes down...then what? but...I bet that won't be for a longgggg time :)
ye, read my edit..

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score

Edit: I think online friendships end, not because the people get bored of each other, they get bored of the game. Like you said, your old friendships ended because they don't play MCSG anymore. Than your last friend that you don't talk to anymore, you stopped talking to him when you quit. I think that once you take a break, or stop playing the game that you guys met on, the friendship will break.
Its sad but true :(
The likely-hood is no. Although you may make stronger bonds with people online, it gets highly impractical when your on the other side of the world from them and have to move on. In comparison, IRL relationships are more fixed. You can't really drop out of an IRL relationship and there isn't something you need to rely on to keep that relationship up
Very good point!
Friends are people that stick with you until the very end. :)
Best quote ever!

Yannick

District 13
Reaction score
I feel like I can be myself in an online friendship. I can say whatever I want. Because if something happens I can just abandon that friendship.
I feel that with IRL friends you try your best to fit in and be someone that you are not.
Because if something happens and you don't wanna talk to them, you'll probably see them again.
I hope you get what I mean..

Beardy

District 13
Reaction score
No they can't, the same way real life friendships can't last forever. People will eventually get bored of a game, the person, anything. Like in real life, people move and you may start off staying close, but eventually you will fade out. All it takes is a broken computer and somebody to move on and that friendship may be lost forever.

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
I feel like I can be myself in an online friendship. I can say whatever I want. Because if something happens I can just abandon that friendship.
I feel that with IRL friends you try your best to fit in and be someone that you are not.
Because if something happens and you don't wanna talk to them, you'll probably see them again.
I hope you get what I mean..
Ya totally! Maybe that is why my online friendships seem to go better over my IRL ones. What ive always wondered is if I met one of my online friends IRL would i act the same?

smashmaster

Platinum
Reaction score
No they can't, the same way real life friendships can't last forever. People will eventually get bored of a game, the person, anything. Like in real life, people move and you may start off staying close, but eventually you will fade out. All it takes is a broken computer and somebody to move on and that friendship may be lost forever.
Ye, I guess life is life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci