• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Captain Dak retirement letter/minecraft story

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
Retirement Letter

It’d normally be called resigning, but for me I like to think that retirement is a better word. As some of you may know; and I’m sure at this point many of you don’t know that I’ve been a mod for a pretty long time. The total run has been exactly 1 year and 256 days, for anyone who’s keeping track. To my knowledge I’ve held my rank for the longest of anyone active. (That information came to me from an admin several months ago). I’ve been pretty proud of the achievement, of myself for sticking it out, but more so for having been able to help out here for so long. I love these servers and no other server would ever have the same meaning to me as MCGamer does. In fact, MCGamer has been the only reason I’ve even played Minecraft from the very moment I decided to apply for staff here and until now. Nothing else does it for me quite the same, or even close for that matter.

I hoped I would reach my two-year anniversary, and have struggled to put in my due time here to remain active, but unfortunately, that time is just becoming less and less in what’s slowly but surely became an incredibly busy (instead of just busy) IRL life for me, to the point where if I remained a mod I would not be spending enough time to be doing my job the way I should be. It’s also with some regret that I must admit, I have probably been very near the bottom of the list in level of activity among the staff for quite some time. I went through phases as an active SG player where I just could not stand playing the game, and would go on semi-long to long breaks from playing; but I would still go on to moderate. Unfortunately, as more time passed, these breaks ended up turning into breaks from MCGamer altogether, and definitely were longer than they should have been. For this I feel like I should sincerely apologize.

Now keep in mind the main reason I am resigning is due to the fact that I have finally just accepted the fact that I can’t be a good staff member anymore. I prolonged the inevitable for a long time, probably too long, but what’s done is done. I’m 20 years old with a full time job and busy social life, and have no long term goals in gaming or Minecraft. Hours and hours a week of Minecraft time just isn’t realistic for me at this point, and pretty much hasn’t for a long time.

Alas, I will no longer be an MCGamer moderator, and never again. Thanks for the time I’ve had, it’s been fun, and trust me, extremely satisfying. I’ve even helped a few others become staff here by giving them pointers on the whole interview and application process. Now please know, having to do this resigning isn’t easy. It’s obvious that with just about anything in life, whether positive or negative, the longer it’s a part of your life the harder it is to let it go. I never would have thought that was the case with a silly online computer game server, but my time here has proven that it is. And I’m so grateful to have had this experience. Thank you, MCGamer, for giving me this experience. I will miss my moderating duties.

My Minecraft Story

So my minecraft story. Where do I begin? Well, I think I should begin around the summer of 2010. Yes, 2010. I didn’t even take the controls of the game until May of 2012. Well I had this friend who started playing it somehow, and he constantly nagged on me and another friend of mine to play. That other friend, I think some of you know, Codered1218. Some point shortly after Codered finally started playing, but not me. I didn’t really play any video games. I had played them when I was a young kid, but for some reason they just stopped appealing to me. Well this brings us to May 2012. I’d finished high school in January, and I had lots of free time on my hands. I believe it was the last day of that month, I was talking to Codered and he sent me a link. It was a link to download a cracked minecraft account. (We were so bad right?) So I decided why not and downloaded the game. The minecraft version was 1.2.5. There’s where it all began.

We just played on Codered’s vanilla server, mostly doing building. Eventually my other good friend IRL, Xeno_toxin joined our little group. We spent hours a day just building. Not even very well, but just for the sake of building. The cracked account I played on allowed me to change my name, and for a while it was Dak_Iz_Awesome. Pretty terrible.. One day I decided to build a pirate ship. I think I’ve posted screenshots of it before. Well, there’s where my Captain_Dak name came from! But for months I played on that cracked account, and we actually made a video series of a survival map called the lava islands that summer. Those were some fun times, especially for me since I was still in the process of learning the game at the time we recorded those so it was pretty interesting. The videos were horrible though. The quality, the gameplay, the commentary… everything. We never ended up uploading all the videos, even though we finished recording them all. A long time ago we removed those videos from public view, and for good reason! But they were nonetheless fun to make and still bring back some good memories and laughs now.

Shortly after finishing that video series, we planned on making a new one of a different survival map, but that never happened. Right around the time school was starting for Codered and Xeno we started a huge medieval castle/town building project. It was on the same original map on that server, we just traveled far away and started building it in a new area. Let me tell you, I’m actually still proud of that build. We spent countless days and hours on it, every block laid by hand. No world edit, voxel sniper, or anything. Naturally, it wasn’t to the quality you’d see on builds on here, but it was still pretty good for a bunch of noobs. We had a gated town, a battle training school thing, and a creepy path through the woods to a big castle, complete with an underground dungeon guarded by iron golems. For the record, I was the king of that kingdom. Truth be told, my IGN was so close to becoming King_Dak. Glad I went with the Captain instead. It was during the building of that castle that I purchased my premium minecraft account, and boy was I happy to get to have a skin that wasn’t Steve! Around the same time I started watching some minecraft videos because I was really enjoying the game. (And keep in mind, this was still before any of us had ever even tried PVP). My favorite youtuber was PaulSoaresJr. I loved his tale of kingdoms mod series with mo creatures. Somewhere on down the line, I finally figured out how to install the mo creatures mod and we had some fun on the server with that. Codered’s young brother also got his own minecraft account around that time and he started playing with us.

I think it was sometime in September 2013, but suddenly, out of nowhere, Codered wanted to do PVP. So we did some on our server, which was fun. We didn’t know what we were doing. I’m guessing if we’d recorded those battles on our server they’d be pretty funny to watch now. Then we wanted to go on public PVP servers. The first one we tried was some archery battle one with exploding arrows. I wish I could remember what it was called. Unfortunately, I lagged too much on that server so we experimented with several others. One of these servers we tried was: MCSG. I didn’t really like it, so I didn’t go on much. My memory of MCSG at that stage is very foggy, mainly because we didn’t go on it much.We kept looking for a server to play regularly on, and we finally settled on one called Pure PVP. It was a faction survival server with a big pvp arena at spawn. We spent most of our time in that arena. That’s where we learned real pvp. We played in there for hours, teaming up on guys in full diamond to try to get their stuff. We got good. Really good. We were getting accused of hacking constantly, even by mods. I can’t imagine what those people would have done if we’d gone in during the peak of our MCSG pvp skills! We’d have probably been falsely banned for sure.

We eventually got tired of Pure PVP, mainly because of the way faction servers are. It was getting less about “pure pvp” and more about who had the best stuff. The raiding of bases was getting ridiculous. So we left that server. Not too sure how it came about, but Codered kind of decided that MCSG would be our new home. He started playing regularly on there and I’d watch him, but rarely play. When I did start regularly playing, boy was it embarrassing. It took both of us forever to get our first wins even though we were doing nothing but teaming. And if I went solo, I pretty much just skipped corn and ran off in some random direction, often hiding in a tree for most of the game. I made it to deathmatch pretty often, but as you can imagine, I didn’t have much in the way of gear so I never had any chance of winning. However, once we started making chest routes, everything changed. I can remember Codered’s first win; it was on SG4, which was brand spanking new back then. I am not certain but I have a feeling we first logged into an MCSG server maybe a week or even just a few days after SG4 came out. During the first months of our playing, it was all that was played. It was horrible. Any other maps being played was an absolute miracle. This makes it even crazier that I got my first ever win on MCSG Ruins, a map I know a lot of you remember as being terrible, so much so that they removed it ages ago. And, I remember specifically my first ever solo win, it was on SG3, and I remember it so well because it felt like in that game, a bolt of lightning hit me (not literally xD), and I became a good player. I took out 3 guys in full iron when I myself started with something like full leather. I was so proud of that game.

So it came to November, and on December 1st, I decided to make my MCSG forum account. My main reason for doing this was to suggest an idea I had, which was to make the lobby waiting time less. It was 5 minutes, and it was terrible waiting in those lobbies for 5 minutes with just barely not enough players for the game to start, and then wait another 5 for another few people to join. Obviously, that 5 minute waiting would eventually be shortened, although I doubt it was my particular suggestion that pushed them to make the change. After that, I began posting a bit more on the forums, but I definitely wasn’t well known at all. I also posted a few report abuses.

By late January, Codered and I decided to do YouTube again, but we needed to start fresh from that channel we uploaded the lava islands videos on. We needed a new account, and a new name. After many debates over what our channel name should be, we ended up going with the “Ferox Gamers”, the word “ferox” meaning fierce. We obviously never got popular at all with that channel either. But we definitely had fun recording at first, however over time it got to be a chore and ultimately led to our basically shutting it down.

Now for the bulk of my history on MCSG: my time as a moderator.

Sometime in February 2013, I was curious about whether or not I could be accepted as a mod. I was loving the servers more than ever, and I felt like doing a few report abuses just wasn’t helping enough. So I applied. I can’t remember the exact timeline, but all I know is my application was set to “pending” by slasherxtreme within just a few days. My interview was then set. The story of that interview is quite a blur to say the least. I just know it was a Tuesday, which must be right because I’ve been told my anniversary of becoming a mod was February 26. I don’t even remember if I was nervous at all. I wasn’t even really taking the whole thing very seriously, I mainly just wanted to try to see what would happen. While I was in the waiting room, I remember P.hilly67 came in and we talked for a little while. He was the first ever person I spoke to on teamspeak. Then it was time for the interview. I only remember 3 of the people that were in it: the admin Bessemer led it, slasher co-led it, and I just remember the then-Sr. Mod Gibbo was in there. They basically just asked all the questions I’d already answered on my application, and that was that. I was moved out of the channel while they talked, and immediately I was put back in and Bessmer said this: “I’ve got some bad news… you’ve been accepted.” At that moment a new era in MCSG began for me. I got a few pokes of congratulations, and was even surprised to see a lot of people congratulated me on my forum profile, many of them people who are still here. You can go to the early pages on my profile to check out some of them, if you’re really feeling that bored.

Now for my first ban. I actually remember it distinctly, because it was an inappropriate name that Xeno found and told me about. He’d played a couple games, and then we found him. The SG career of penisnballs ended almost before it began. xD There then came a time when the moderator ban panel actually had a leaderboard. How bad of an idea was that? I would often “compete” with fellow new moderator Zenocrafter, who I’m pretty sure more people have heard of than have heard of me. I have a feeling that “ban race” between us was part of the reason they removed that leaderboard. But this still didn’t take the fun away from banning people. The feeling of putting a rulebreaker in their place was… fantastic. I was finally making a difference without having to rely on anyone else. I was all in control. Codered1218, who has recently resigned as the second-longest server moderator behind myself (and for the same reasons), joined me in March to create possibly the greatest duo in the history of MCSG moderators. We had some great times. Also, Xeno_toxin was kind of like our “assistant”. He was the one who found many hackers and spammers we had to deal with. Nobody knew it besides us, but he probably deserved to receive friend rank for his help.

Here are a couple screenshots from my final game ever as a mod, just a little while ago as of the time I'm posting this. (And yes, this game took place during the staff meeting. Sorry, Sr. Staff. :() But a great ending to what's been an amazing time as a staff member here. Thanks again guys.

Well, I’ve written a lot here, and I think the rest of my Minecraft story pretty much tells itself, the rest is just my MCGamer story, which I think is pretty obvious has been quite an adventure. I could probably write about it for hours, but I really don’t want to. Anyhow, I once again want to express my appreciation for all of the support I’ve received here, it’s really incredible that someone like me could become so popular in a place like this. There are so many awesome people here, and it’s because of all of you that this place continues to run. Additionally, for anyone who wants to know, I’m probably never going to leave this community for good. I just won’t be on very often, but I’ll still be here, checking in on things. There’s nothing that will ever stop me from checking these forums. You all rock! (Well at least a lot of you do) ;)

~Captain_Dak

*salutes*

Last edited:

Kraken

Mapping Team Lead
Reaction score
We haven't spoken much, but it's sad to see a fellow 1st generation staff member leave. Farewell, and best of luck wherever your future endeavors may lead you!

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
We haven't spoken much, but it's sad to see a fellow 1st generation staff member leave. Farewell, and best of luck wherever your future endeavors may lead you!
Thanks man. It was an awesome time and you've always seemed like one of the cooler people. :)

Tal_Pal

Platinum
Reaction score
I honestly think besides maybe one or 2 inactive mods, I don't really know, you were the only mod who has been here longer then me. You will be missed. When I was a sr. mod, I remember talking about how you were a really good mod but your activity on teamspeak could improve lol. It's been fun. good luck on whatever you do, you will be missed

Dzbs

Iron
Reaction score
I remember back in the days last year when I needed help from every single mod about something. Though you may not remember me from back then, you helped me out a lot and I thank you for it! :) It's been a pleasure seeing you helping out the community and it will be unfortunate of losing one of the greatest mods here. Thank you again! :)

Last edited:

Tal_Pal

Platinum
Reaction score
Going to edit after reading.
You can read the post then post your comment, you don't need post first saying your going to edit after reading, Its not the end of the world if you don't end up on the first page

Captain Dak

Platinum
Reaction score
I honestly think besides maybe one or 2 inactive mods, I don't really know, you were the only mod who has been here longer then me. You will be missed. When I was a sr. mod, I remember talking about how you were a really good mod but your activity on teamspeak could improve lol. It's been fun. good luck on whatever you do, you will be missed
Haha! Sad thing is it was only toward the very end I started moderating on teamspeak.
Edit: Also, I totally remember you as an iron donor while I was a mod. xD

Last edited:

Diar

District 13
Reaction score
You were easily one of the top moderators ever, it'll suck to see you go man. Good luck with everything <3

Avesu

Career
Reaction score
Awwwww, a great staff member is leaving!

This sounded weird when I re-read it. This is said in a sad tone, not a sarcastic one. :)

ViolentKitten

Platinum
Reaction score
We only met a few days ago, but the time that we did talk was nice :) I used to see you around quite a bit during v1, and I'm sad we never met earlier.

It's great that you are taking control and making the right decision, but I know you are going to be missed around here.

Best of luck, man.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci