• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

/chat off command

Reaction score
Hey people! This thread/suggestion sort of came to me when I was responding to ElectrixMC 's thread about not seeing player chat. Found here: http://www.minecraftsurvivalgames.com/threads/turning-off-player-chat-only.147588/

The idea: A command that allows you to block all messages sent by other players(except the ones sent by the staff members.), and the alert/messages sent by the server (Map voting, deathmatch countdown, announcements, etc.)

Pros: It's simple, nothing much too it but a lot of people might like it. Youtubers might not want to see their name constantly spammed, and other players might not want to read what other people have to say or constant spamming. This can be helpful, especially for the younger players on MCSG. Let's face it, tons of player spam inappropriate messages in the chat, and even if a moderator ends up banning a player, the little kid has already read the message. There could possibly be a "announcement" every few minutes or so that would recommend that players younger the age of 13 to use /chat off, so they won't receive any chat messages but the ones that staff send. Well Imaboss, there is a disable chat in multi-player settings! Why use this? Well the answer is simple: You won't get the announcements sent by the server saying DM is starting, you won't be able to vote for any maps, and you won't see the staff's chat messages. If you can't see the staff's chat messages, you might mess your self up without knowing about it. If your block glitching, and you don't know it's wrong, a staff member will send you a warning. If your chat is off, you won't get that message. So you might continue, not knowing the staff has sent you a warning. This will cause the staff to think you are ignoring them, when in reality, your chat is off, which will eventually result in a punishment.[it depends which rule the player broke]

What are the cons? Nothing to be honest! If you want to use it you can, if you don't want to you don't have to :) This will give players an option, and it could be really useful in a few situations as stated in the "Pros" This might be just me, but I really can't think of a negative.

What do you guys think? Any feedback on this idea is appreciated!

Electrix

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
This is what I was trying to say, I wasn't suggesting forcing all players' chat to be removed. However, this goes more in detail, so I am requesting a lock on my thread.

NuJaan

Diamond
Reaction score
I've wanted this for a while. Maybe the command came back /chatoff and an alias can be /zen.

Twee

District 13
Reaction score
I've brought this idea up so many times. I really want this back. But whenever I post something about it, they just say: "you can turn your chat to commands only." But that doesn't solve the problem, that just makes it so only you can post commands, it still shows other players chat. There really is no reason it shouldn't be implemented imo.
EDIT: Also, do you mean that you don't want to see the server messages?

Reaction score
I've brought this idea up so many times. I really want this back. But whenever I post something about it, they just say: "you can turn your chat to commands only." But that doesn't solve the problem, that just makes it so only you can post commands, it still shows other players chat. There really is no reason it shouldn't be implemented imo.
EDIT: Also, do you mean that you don't want to see the server messages?
No, I mean that I want to be able to see the messages sent by server and staff :p I kinda liked the messages sent by the server. This is just to block all chats sent by everyone but the staff, and the server.

Reaction score
So this is basically like BadLions /messages? Good idea.

To everyone that's going to say to just change it to hidden, don't post anything of that sort. When you do that, you can't see server messages either, which is a huge disadvantage.

Twee

District 13
Reaction score
No, I mean that I want to be able to see the messages sent by server and staff :p I kinda liked the messages sent by the server. This is just to block all chats sent by everyone but the staff, and the server.
Good, I was just checking. And I know what the command does, it was in v1.

Reaction score
Good idea but what if they are teaming against you and you want to say Ffa? What would happen then?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci