• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Checking for Plagiarism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazza

Experienced
Reaction score
Hey there!

Provided below are a portion of steps which will hopefully assist you when consistently checking for plagiarism on your map.

<->

. Right click the image then click "Copy image URL" or as an alternative, download it onto your computer.

2. Open www.google.com and click the "Images" tab.

3. Click the little camera icon in the search bar (Located on the right).

4. Paste the image URL in or click the "Upload an image" button if you already downloaded it onto your computer.

5. Click the search button and check if it's published onto any website so you immediately know if it's been copied or stolen.

This works for Chrome 5, Internet Explorer 9, Safari 5, and Firefox 4. For a more detailed guide on searching for an image, go to..

(https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en)

<->

Additional/optional steps to perform :

1. Search for the map name (There is a 70% chance of finding it that way).

2. Search for all the maps relating to the theme of the map (For example, if someone had created a Castle SG map, go to your search engine and search for "Minecraft castle map" (since he/she might have submitted the map with a different name/alias).

3. Attempt to browse and visit all of the Minecraft community engaging websites (MinecraftForums, PlanetMinecraft, MinecraftMaps, MinecraftDL, Youtube etc, and thoroughly check those websites since the copied map may not be on Google).

There is a website that will check if content is plagiarized. It doesn't exactly partake with Minecraft maps but I will just put it here..

(http://smallseotools.com/plagiarism-checker/)

Preventing plagiarism :

A lot of people are indeed afraid of their map getting stolen. Well, lucky them - there are numerous ways to prevent that from occuring. One 'sneaky' way is that you could possibly create a secret little spot where only you know where it is. (e.g, Dig a 2 block deep hole somewhere and put a sign with your name with it). That way, when someone plagiarizes your map and in the case that it gets accepted and the world download gets sent to the map developer(s) (which I've personally never witnessed before), you can show the map developer(s) the secret little spot to prove it is yours.

Note :

Realize that plagiarism is BAD. Would you like it if you worked on a map for a long time and someone just steals it and claims it as his own? I've seen a lot of people steal a map and they have all been caught and punished. Plagiarizing greatly lowers your reputation, whether if its an essay, book, or Minecraft map. People will regard you as lazy, un-creative, and a thief.

Last edited:

GetRidaHim

Career
Reaction score
These are some steps which will help you check for Plagiarism:
1. Right Click The Image, Click Copy Image URL or Just Download it to your computer
2. Open www.google.com and click the Images tab
3. Click the little camera icon in the search bar (Its on the right)
4. Paste the image URL in or click the Upload an image button if you had downloaded it to your computer
5. Click the search button and check if its on any website so you know if its been copied or stolen. :D
(This works for Chrome 5, Internet Explorer 9, Safari 5, and Firefox 4. For a more detailed Guide on searching an image go tohttps://support.google.com/websearch/answer/1325808?hl=en)

Additional Things to do:
1. Search for the map name (there is a 70% chance of finding it that way)
2. Search for all the maps of the Theme of the map (for example if someone created a Castle SG map. Go to your search engine and search for Minecraft Castle Map (since he might have submitted the map with a different name)
3. Go on to all the Minecraft websites and check (MinecraftForums, PlanetMinecraft, MinecraftMaps, MinecraftDL, Youtube, etc since the copied map may not be on Google)

There is a website that will check if Content is plagiarized. It doesn't really have anything to do with Minecraft maps but I will just put it here.
Web Address: http://smallseotools.com/plagiarism-checker/

How to prevent Plagiarism:
A lot of people are afraid of their map getting stolen. Well you could make a secret little spot where only you know where it is. (E.G Dig a 2 block deep hole somewhere and put a sign with your name with it) That way when someone plagiarizes your map and when it gets accepted and the world download gets sent to the server owners (which I've never seen happen) you can show the owners the secret little spot to prove it is yours.

Note:
Realize that plagiarism is BAD. Would you like it if you worked on a map for a long time and someone just steals it and claims it as his own? I've seen a lot of people steal a map and they have all been caught and punished. Plagiarizing greatly lowers your reputation, whether if its an essay, book, or Minecraft map. People will regard you as lazy, un-creative, and a theif. When you grow up Plagiarism might even get you thrown in Jail.
Nice guide!

Vaangel

District 13
Reaction score
Interesting guide, have never seen a guide on this subject before.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Thank you! :) I actually never thought of searching image URLs, that's clever!

Jazza

Experienced
Reaction score
Nice guide!
Thanks! I greatly appreciate that.:)
Interesting guide, have never seen a guide on this subject before.
Well people should know when and how to check for plagiarism. So I made this thread to help the people check/find a false map. But nonetheless, thanks for the feedback!
Thank you! :) I actually never thought of searching image URLs, that's clever!
Yep, not many people knew about searching the image URL, but it works in an instant for me! It's one of my favourite ways of checking for plagiarism.
<is first>
Nice guide :3
Thanks! :)

Hect0rg

Platinum
Reaction score
This is actually really interesting.
I suggested it as a guide :D gl :)

Last edited:

Jazza

Experienced
Reaction score
This is actually really interesting.
I suggested it as a guide :D gl :)
Oh, thanks! It means alot that you took your time to suggest this for a guide, I hugely appreciate that!:)
EDIT : The thread doesn't include the "Guide" tag anymore for some reason. If you or any staff member could bring the tag back, I would greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:

OhFancy

District 13
Reaction score
Thankyou for the guide. Thanks for teaching us how to do it :3

Hect0rg

Platinum
Reaction score
Oh, thanks! It means alot that you took your time to suggest this for a guide, I hugely appreciate that!:)
EDIT : The thread doesn't include the "Guide" tag anymore for some reason. If you or any staff member could bring the tag back, I would greatly appreciate it!
The snr.staff are reviewing the thread! So be patient ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci