• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Community Poll: Leaderboards Reset with Newest Update?

Assuming your old statistics would be saved separately, would you like the leaderboards to be reset?

• Yes. I support Legacy Leaderboards, new statistics to track, and a global leaderboards reset.

Votes: 883 53.7%
  • No. I don't want a global leaderboards reset nor new statistics to track. Keep everything as it is.

Votes: 761 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
We were all under the impression that it was as easy as when we changed from regional stats (EU US AU) to a combined 1 place leaderboards(the current leaderoboards). I don't think anyone of us imagined that we would have to sacrifice all of our stats for a new leaderboards....

...I recall Col_star saying something about not being able to have seperate leaderboards because of the cost? Hell, sell some more quantnum donors to pay for it -.- ...
Truthfully, there are a lot of ideas that sound easy to do yet are highly difficult to do on paper. Part of the reason that is is because none of us are Developers nor do we fully comprehend how technical things truly are behind the scenes. Plus, people forget the sheer scale of things we have to do, data included. Our stats are so large that we need multiple servers just to track them; I feel there's a Yo' Mama joke somewhere in there.

I'm an Administrator who's been here for a while, and I like to think of myself as proficient in technical matters. But I understand that, by talking with the Developers on matters such as this, that things are far from as easy as they seem. I also know that we've explored other options for figuring this out, but it just isn't realistic for us to do the alternatives at this current point in time. Lastly, a lot of this stems from the fact that the current code that we've been on for the longest time is simply old and outdated. "Don't fix what isn't broken?" How about, "improving what deserves to have been improved for years" on top of being flat-out broken in some elements.

In regards to the selling Quantums to fund the additional stats servers... interesting idea. I don't if Chad's considered fundraising, but that might be a worthwhile proposition. That being said, I still see how it doesn't address some issues, and merely delays the decision (especially if a time comes where community fundraising doesn't meet the funding requirements. Since we'd no longer be able to fund that server, we'd lose that leaderboards). It also doesn't address the competitiveness aspect nor offer a fresh restart, thus turning away some newer players who would be enticed to join. But it would reduce this risk, so long as the proper funds could be raised.

I don't know about Quantum ranks, since those were pretty exclusive by intention and the number of potential buyers was diminished due to the high price. Instead, we should do a crowd-funding gig, where people can voluntarily give a lump sum of money to pay for the stats servers for a year or so. We could make it a charity event too: if the fundraiser fails to meet its goals, or if we meet the goal and have an excess of donations, we'll donate the money to charity.
Chad'll make the final decision on whether this is a worthwhile venture or not. I love this idea and applaud you for your creativity, but even I have some reservations. I'll get back to you after I talk with him about this.

E

Ephiza

It also doesn't address the competitiveness aspect nor offer a fresh restart, thus turning away some newer players who would be enticed to join. But it would reduce this risk, so long as the proper funds could be raised.
It won't add any competitiveness just saying. All it'll do is add hackers, large teams, and things that are anti-competitive. Hope you realize this. Since you don't really play much, it probably doesn't affect you, but to people it does affect, it would be really stupid.

The teaming and hackers are at an all time high all-ready, a LB reset will only add on top of that.

And to all you lil noobs thinking you can get number 1 fast, here's a shocker, you won't.

People will be tryharding their ass off, using macro's etc etc. And you won't be able to win at all if you have school.

Ian

Career
Reaction score
The amount of hackers on US isn't as high as it used to be... Anybody saying "There WILL be more hackers!!!" is speculating. Besides, have more faith in the staff that runs this network. I assume that with a reset more mods would decide to be active as it would be a high-traffic point in MCSG's history.

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score
I feel there's a Yo' Mama joke somewhere in there.
Don't you dare talk about my momma D: lol <3

Truthfully, there are a lot of ideas that sound easy to do yet are highly difficult to do on paper. Part of the reason that is is because none of us are Developers nor do we fully comprehend how technical things truly are behind the scenes. Plus, people forget the sheer scale of things we have to do, data included. Our stats are so large that we need multiple servers just to track them; I feel there's a Yo' Mama joke somewhere in there.

I'm an Administrator who's been here for a while, and I like to think of myself as proficient in technical matters. But I understand that, by talking with the Developers on matters such as this, that things are far from as easy as they seem. I also know that we've explored other options for figuring this out, but it just isn't realistic for us to do the alternatives at this current point in time. Lastly, a lot of this stems from the fact that the current code that we've been on for the longest time is simply old and outdated. "Don't fix what isn't broken?" How about, "improving what deserves to have been improved for years" on top of being flat-out broken in some elements.
I never really said it was easy or anything. I'm sure if it was, it would of already been done :p I just said we were under the impression that it was since we had a change in leaderboards in the past from the EU US AU to ONE leaderboard like there is now, not including classics and QQ. But yeah.

In regards to the selling Quantums to fund the additional stats servers... interesting idea. I don't if Chad's considered fundraising, but that might be a worthwhile proposition. That being said, I still see how it doesn't address some issues, and merely delays the decision (especially if a time comes where community fundraising doesn't meet the funding requirements. Since we'd no longer be able to fund that server, we'd lose that leaderboards). It also doesn't address the competitiveness aspect nor offer a fresh restart, thus turning away some newer players who would be enticed to join. But it would reduce this risk, so long as the proper funds could be raised.

I don't know about Quantum ranks, since those were pretty exclusive by intention and the number of potential buyers was diminished due to the high price. Instead, we should do a crowd-funding gig, where people can voluntarily give a lump sum of money to pay for the stats servers for a year or so. We could make it a charity event too: if the fundraiser fails to meet its goals, or if we meet the goal and have an excess of donations, we'll donate the money to charity.
Chad'll make the final decision on whether this is a worthwhile venture or not. I love this idea and applaud you for your creativity, but even I have some reservations. I'll get back to you after I talk with him about this.
I am not sure how much a leaderboards cost per year, but I'm assuming it's not gonna cost more than 24 $200 quantums like we did last time? If so that is a bit crazy xD. The only problem I see with a sort of fund-raiser, is the fact that I can't see many people donating if they don't get something special in return. Like, if chad would of taken up a donation for the last huge network upgrade(the one for the quantums), I don't think he would of got the funds without giving out the ranks. Yeah sure, we are getting to keep the leaderboards, but that's something we feel that we shouldn't lose in the first place.

That is why I suggested Quantums. We used them last time to upgrade our servers, and apparently this is supposed to be the start of a huge update on our servers by adding these new leaderboards etc etc. I would think that the occasion calls for the Quantums to be called back out :p. If not tho, if Chad feels like it shouldn't be, then I guess a lil fundraising/charity work would be the best option, I'm just not entirely who would do it for no benefit to them personally :l. At least this way it gives us hope or a chance.

MMolloy18

Platinum
Reaction score
The amount of hackers on US isn't as high as it used to be... Anybody saying "There WILL be more hackers!!!" is speculating. Besides, have more faith in the staff that runs this network. I assume that with a reset more mods would decide to be active as it would be a high-traffic point in MCSG's history.
Looks like somebody's never played on EU. Try playing 10-20 games on there, and see what people mean about hacker

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. I've mentioned the idea that Reven86 suggested to Chad, and Chad seemed receptive to the idea. We are currently planning to brainstorm ideas later tonight to flesh out the details and see if this is a worthwhile venture. We'll post an official decision regarding this idea later.

Just for reference's sake, though, let's say that we did offer a fund-raiser for a two leaderboard system, where we would offer an Overall Leaderboard (New + Old stats) along with a New Leaderboard. We would probably have a Premium Upgrade drive, where users can purchase items from our webstore with a special coupon and the proceeds from the purchase go to the Leaderboards fund, or we could do a straight fundraiser, where people donate any amount of money to build up the fund.

In return, we would probably give some little thank-you perks to players who donate. These could include
  • Forum medals
  • A special badge on the new Leaderboards that notes you donated
  • Rank lottery (we would automatically upgrade any rank purchased to one random player)
  • Your name on a special thank you page on the Leaderboards.
Any more ideas for potential perks can be suggested here. Please note that extraneous perks (a special in-game rank or special Premium-specific perks) or anything that costs money (like shipping for T-shirts) cannot be done.

This might be a worthwhile venture to help fund the best-case alternative. If you'd be willing to help donate to the Leaderboards fund, go ahead and make a post here that says, "I'd be willing to donate to the Leaderboards fund!"

Westlake40

Career
Reaction score
Just a heads up. I've mentioned the idea that Reven86 suggested to Chad, and Chad seemed receptive to the idea. We are currently planning to brainstorm ideas later tonight to flesh out the details and see if this is a worthwhile venture. We'll post an official decision regarding this idea later.

Just for reference's sake, though, let's say that we did offer a fund-raiser for a two leaderboard system, where we would offer an Overall Leaderboard (New + Old stats) along with a New Leaderboard. We would probably have a Premium Upgrade drive, where users can purchase items from our webstore with a special coupon and the proceeds from the purchase go to the Leaderboards fund, or we could do a straight fundraiser, where people donate any amount of money to build up the fund.

In return, we would probably give some little thank-you perks to players who donate. These could include
  • Forum medals
  • Rank lottery (we would automatically upgrade any rank purchased to one random player)
Any more ideas for potential perks can be suggested here. Please note that extraneous perks (a special in-game rank or special Premium-specific perks) or anything that costs money (like shipping for T-shirts) cannot be done.

This might be a worthwhile venture to help fund the best-case alternative. If you'd be willing to help donate to the Leaderboards fund, go ahead and make a post here that says, "I'd be willing to donate to the Leaderboards fund!"
Kool

MMolloy18

Platinum
Reaction score
And I quote:

"US"
You literally were talking about people exaggerating the amount of hackers going up when stats reset.. Nobody ever said the amount of hackers on 'US' would be going up. Most are talking about EU. Which is why I said that :) so sh

Last edited:

reven86

Platinum
Reaction score

• Forum medals

Col_StaR

If this is something that is offical, you might wanna make a thread over it so people will know about it. Seems like not many ppl are posting on here anymore and don't know about this suggestion. Can't get many people knowing about asking for donations, if they don't know the idea exist. Also I'm guessing chad said no to the quantum donor thing?

I am also curious on how much money exactly would need to be raised per year? I would love to donate for this, but i'd like to know how much our goal here is.

Also as a perk I like the silent join idea :3 doing a fund raiser with silent join purchase would be an INSTANT hit. Only the ones who donate b4 our goal is made gets the silent join purchase :D. I'm sure I could think of some more, but I really need to go to work right now :p.

Normnn

Platinum
Reaction score
These days new people joining MCSG community are thought to be good just basing on their ratio.. The number of wins does matter but anyways, the rank really doesn't matter... I mean it's better to have 200/400 than 2000/12000 and be on top... This is only my opinion and all my friends would stop playing mcsg, like goggles447 (almost 1000 wins), bakbogdy (730 wins) and the list goes on... And I have also spoken to my friends about it. Imagine, all the hackers now use hack just to improve their stats... Imagine a hacker with 0/0, every server will be full of hackers, everyone will play in team just to be sure not to have a bad stats... It's really a bad thing and I say NO to resetting stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci