• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Corruption

Braden

District 13
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Yes, I chose to use the corruption involved in regards to legalization of cannabis, but this thread is so much more than just some excuse to talk about weed. This is a serious topic that I want to shed some light on. Please do not denounce this thread as inappropriate or facetious just because it mentions marijuana. There is no reason we should not be mature enough to handle this.

Hey guys! Today I was in a somewhat weird mood that made me want to write a thread showing just some of the corruption that is capable and ongoing with regards to politics. Now, I'm going to be talking mainly about the legalization process of marijuana in the United States as it has many specific and terrible examples of corruption. Where to start?

First off, marijuana, despite scientific research, has not been rescheduled from a Schedule I drug. For those of you unfamiliar with the drug scheduling system, a Schedule I drug is labeled as having a "high potential for abuse and no recognized medical uses". Does that sound right to you? "No recognized medical uses". Even though the two most present chemical compounds of cannabis, THC and CBD, are both used for treating many serious illness such as (but not limited to): seizures, spasms, headaches, and so on. Also, just for reference, heroin and bath salts are Schedule I drugs. There's a reason why cannabis has not been rescheduled though. Legally, Schedule I drugs are able to be fined a lot more than, say, a Schedule III drug. So, now we have special interest groups lobbying -- or "donating" campaign funds in return for legislation that is in their best interest -- to keep cannabis as a Schedule I drug so that the police can meet their arrest quotas and bring in more revenue. Then there's the prison systems...

Back when the "War on Drugs" was launched, federal prisons started filling up faster than the government could make them. This opened the door for private sector prisons to start popping up. Basically, we allow our prison system to be privately owned and operated for the purposes of profit. When money gets involved, people will do almost anything to make a few more bucks. Obviously in this case we're talking millions and possibly billions of more dollars. As if having privately owned prisons wasn't already bad enough, these prison corporations began to lobby to keep marijuana illegal, as it is a very commonly used illicit drug. Marijuana accounted for 44.9% of all drug-related crimes in 2014, so if all of the United States decriminalized it we're talking massive loss of profits. This is one of the main faults with private sector prisons.

A lot of this corruption wouldn't be possible if lobbying wasn't legal. Let's be real here, these "campaign donations" aren't really donations at all and are only trying to persuade any political figure to vote according to the "donor's" agenda. Speaking of lobbying, big pharmaceutical companies pour billions of dollars into lobbying to keep marijuana illegal so that people can legally get hooked on painkillers that they manufacture, which increases their profits as well. And these anti-drug organizations that work to eradicate drug use? Well, they're paid off by Big Pharma to allocate the majority of their attention to marijuana while completely ignoring the most deadly abused drug: painkillers.

The scary thing is, this is probably some of the least corrupt activities going on behind the scenes. I mean after all, this is just for whether or not a plant should be legal or not, can you imagine the amount of corruption when it comes to things such as oil?

Once you wake up and realize this, you'll see that money is our god and we're all just part of the machine.

SuperMCSam

Career
Reaction score
I know that this isn't the time and place, but can I copy this for my english homework? I have to write an essay on Marijuana Legalization and my feelings about it lmao

Player8394

Survivor
Reaction score
weed has an effect on the brain which leads to paranoia and can lead to things such as schizophrenia.

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
With corruption you either fight it or ignore it. There are a lot of flaws in capitalism but most other political systems/theories went a hella a lot worse. Corruption will always exist where there is power and unfortunately right now, money is power.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Hmm, this is an interesting take on things that I haven't necessarily looked at before. Frankly, it comes as no surprise at all. Unfortunately, with our system allowing for private sectors to basically do as they please to bring in customers without regulation (as it seems) it becomes apparent that the world simply has not quite yet figured out how to govern correctly- or at least we in America haven't.

I mean, look at what happened with tobacco and cigarettes. When companies began to put nicotine and other chemicals in their product to make it more addictive for the sole reason of having their customers need to come back more often and buy more of the product, look what we have created. A whole generation of dying, lung cancer infested, suffering, addicted people. All for the sake of making money.

That is one reason I also fear the legalization of marijuana. If this is to be legalized, and marijuana becomes a regulated and taxed product, what do we deduce will be done by marijuana distributors to have their product stand out more and be purchased more than the others?

Yikes

Braden

District 13
Reaction score
I know that this isn't the time and place, but can I copy this for my english homework? I have to write an essay on Marijuana Legalization and my feelings about it lmao
go for it!
weed has an effect on the brain which leads to paranoia and can lead to things such as schizophrenia.
Heavy use in adolescence can lead to an increased risk of psychosis* and schizophrenia to those who have a predisposition to those mental problems. This pretty much means if you have a family history of schizophrenia or psychosis, heavy use during your teen years is going to increase that. Other than that, there's no direct link to the two that scientists have discovered.
Hmm, this is an interesting take on things that I haven't necessarily looked at before. Frankly, it comes as no surprise at all. Unfortunately, with our system allowing for private sectors to basically do as they please to bring in customers without regulation (as it seems) it becomes apparent that the world simply has not quite yet figured out how to govern correctly- or at least we in America haven't.

I mean, look at what happened with tobacco and cigarettes. When companies began to put nicotine and other chemicals in their product to make it more addictive for the sole reason of having their customers need to come back more often and buy more of the product, look what we have created. A whole generation of dying, lung cancer infested, suffering, addicted people. All for the sake of making money.

That is one reason I also fear the legalization of marijuana. If this is to be legalized, and marijuana becomes a regulated and taxed product, what do we deduce will be done by marijuana distributors to have their product stand out more and be purchased more than the others?

Yikes
Yes! I forgot to mention that alcohol and tobacco companies pour huge amounts of money to help prohibition. And they do it to keep profits of their very harmful products. Both alcohol and cigarettes can ruin your life very easily and lead to death.

M

Experienced
Reaction score
come to the netherlands

SnoopSean

Career
Reaction score
The sad thing is, the corruption isn't even coming from a physical object anymore, it's coming from the own will to own things, to have things, and we ignore and block out everything besides us, and it isn't corruption, it's just how our brains work. That is why we ultimately have so many problems in this world, besides the roundabout ways to try and solve our corruptions being corrupt, we don't even understand our corruption and where it stands. It's horrible to think about, and yet it's another corrupted cycles that our human corruption offers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci