• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Do you believe in free will and why?

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
I agree with the part of this comment that refers to things being lead in different paths with each decision made, I think if I started to believe my life was predetermined or that destiny or fate would choose my path for me, I would lose my mind.

So yeah I think we all have the power to decide where our life takes us, nothing is set in stone :)
I too would lose hope if I believed I technically had no control over anything. That's why I don't always take that mindset. You will accomplish more if you constantly work at your goals and try to make the best of life.

But some part of me knows that since the laws and constants of the universe are always the same, and since every object in the universe is moving in a measurable way, you could theoretically calculate every event in the universe if you had enough computing power I think. It's probably not good to think about. :p

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I choose to. Here's the way I look at it: if everything is predetermined it doesn't matter, but if there is free will I would prefer to have used it in a positive way. Might as well do what I think is right, at least I won't regret.

MisiLica

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'm kind of 50-50 on this sort of situation.

What I'd like to believe is that we are the only ones to change our path in life/faith and that our actions alone out of free will control our future, or external influences, such as decisions.

However, I do to some extent believe that some of our actions are predetermined. Building on the decisions point above, I did hear about a paradox called the "Multiverse Paradox" (saw this in a documentary one day).

What this basically is, is that every choice that you make creates an alternate parallel universe in where the other choice has been picked. Put simply, let's say you have two choices; between an apple and an orange. You pick the apple. Supposedly an alternate universe is created somewhere where you pick the apple, and with that, different actions.

There is no proof to this, but it does sound cool, albeit far fetched.

Tenebrous

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
no one here knows what they're talking about lol

Evermore

Career
Reaction score
All of our thoughts are controlled by a lump of tissue in our heads, so I suppose if we knew everything about how our brains function, we could find every decision to be predetermined.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
To put it simply; take a look at the law of attraction. What you want (realistically) and work toward achieving, you can get. Therefore you affect your own actions. Whether our actions are altered by an outside force is answered in how we act. If we can do what we want and affect the environment around us, then we do have free will.
What this basically is, is that every choice that you make creates an alternate parallel universe in where the other choice has been picked. Put simply, let's say you have two choices; between an apple and an orange. You pick the apple. Supposedly an alternate universe is created somewhere where you pick the apple, and with that, different actions.

There is no proof to this, but it does sound cool, albeit far fetched.
Watch Parallels (on Netflix), what you said reminded me of that movie since it's basically a compilation of a bunch of different worlds and parallel universes. Pretty cool but not very well put together, you could tell it was a kinda low budget movie but I still got a kick out of it :^)

beneu

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
To put it simply; take a look at the law of attraction. What you want (realistically) and work toward achieving, you can get. Therefore you affect your own actions. Whether our actions are altered by an outside force is answered in how we act. If we can do what we want and affect the environment around us, then we do have free will.

Watch Parallels (on Netflix), what you said reminded me of that movie since it's basically a compilation of a bunch of different worlds and parallel universes. Pretty cool but not very well put together, you could tell it was a kinda low budget movie but I still got a kick out of it :^)
Netflix and chill? ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci