• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Do you want Friend rank back?

Do you want Friend back?

• Ya, I do!

• Nah. Begone with that!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
I'd like to see it back under a few simple and more controllable conditions. In the past, friend rank was given to friends of Sr. Staff, these mostly consisted of ex-moderators (or mod's alt accounts) who showed solid qualities of their moderator duties, and were staff members for a solid amount of time (5 months at the least in most cases). This rank had access to staff areas, and was held in a high position. Friend ranks had a lot of influence. Some people abused said power of their friend rank. That, the fact that the distribution and control of it was rather disorganized, on top of the fact that Chad never approved it anyway led to its removal.

If we were to set more strict requirements for the friend rank, I think things would work out just fine.

examples include..
For ex-staff:
- Hold a staff position for a certain amount of time (say somewhere between 6 to 9 months)
- Be on good terms with the Sr. Staff and administration upon your resignation.
- Have made a significant impact and influence on the community
- Performed your duties as a moderator well (including the way you treated others, and the amount of moderator actions you made)

For other cases:
- Be close friends with the majority of the administration and Sr. Staff
- Be on good standing with the rules and regulations of MCGamer
- Be a respectable, active, supporive, and influential member of the community
- Be mature and responsible with the rank

This may be true. Moderators spend hundreds, even thousands of hours on their job, while overall builders may spend 20-50 on one map. However our maps are held to incredibly high standards, which is why we give VIP to the creators of these. The builders of these maps would have had to be very skilled in their trade, including things like project management, the aspects of building, and presenting their map in a formal way.

If you think about it statistically, yes it is slightly lopsided that map makers get VIP while moderators get our second highest donor rank, however it's better to have something compared to just going back to being a greenbean c: (unless you previously had a lifetime donor rank :p)
these requirements are almost VIP-like. Might as well give them VIP rather than Friend Rank.
I think that if a moderator is helpful in-game or on the forums and is very active, he should deserve friend rank. Whether he goes on MCGamer's Teamspeak, or even if he does most of his moderating on a browser and not in-game, as long as he is doing something that shows dedication, within that context anyone could deserve Friend Rank. However, at some point, anyone who was mod for a month could resign and get pretty much VIP, so a certain span of time wouldn't be a bad idea.

Really, whether you put the time each of these actions take, map making and moderating can't really be compared.

"but it's just placing blocks. lol" To each its own. I have made multiple maps, and the hardest is to keep the motivation. They're very energy-consuming and stressing.
And we could say that I have more or less moderated to some extent on this community. Not claiming I was ever a moderator, but I can say I moderated on my behalf without committing to any position.

Meh, after seeing all these comments, it's all very biased when it comes to this rank. At first I up-voted this idea, but now I'm skeptic about it.

N

Nikola

these requirements are almost VIP-like. Might as well give them VIP rather than Friend Rank.
I think that if a moderator is helpful in-game or on the forums and is very active, he should deserve friend rank. Whether he goes on MCGamer's Teamspeak, or even if he does most of his moderating on a browser and not in-game, as long as he is doing something that shows dedication, within that context anyone could deserve Friend Rank. However, at some point, anyone who was mod for a month could resign and get pretty much VIP, so a certain span of time wouldn't be a bad idea.

Really, whether you put the time each of these actions take, map making and moderating can't really be compared.

"but it's just placing blocks. lol" To each its own. I have made multiple maps, and the hardest is to keep the motivation. They're very energy-consuming and stressing.
And we could say that I have more or less moderated to some extent on this community. Not claiming I was ever a moderator, but I can say I moderated on my behalf without committing to any position.

Meh, after seeing all these comments, it's all very biased when it comes to this rank. At first I up-voted this idea, but now I'm skeptic about it.
True, I tried making a map a couple of times, it gets stressed and boring after a while. That's why I stopped doing it. But since I am a Moderator on other known server, I need to say that Moderating is way harder than it looks like. I'm not going to judge straight away and say Moderating is harder than building a map. Building a map is challenging your patience and will. Most of the map makers give up after they see how much work they should put into. But that work is temporary, after you make a map it's gone. When you're a moderator you need to work all the time. Looking for new report abuses, helping people out on teamspeak, moderating in-game since #UnbaNNed became known and it's really annoying when you see it. (Specially on EU hub chat) Most people of this community think that Moderating is easy and Moderators just chill in hub-chat. Which is completely false. Going to be honest here, there are some Moderators that are inactive, but that doesn't mean the whole Staff Team is bad, for god sake... Anyways let's stay on the topic and personally I would like to see Friend rank back. Because it shows that (players name) was a great ex-staff member. The only thing that annoyed me is that Friend rank was given to people who are close to owners.

Zacharoutio

Moderator | Mapping Team
Reaction score
I agree that the friend rank should come back as an reward for ex-moderators, and that there should be be requirements. Not going to go into much detail, but I do agree with Fox here in that, they should have gone through the rank again, instead of just scrapping it.

However, what I don't agree with is that "being friends with the senior staff" can earn you are rank of such quality.
The excuse before was something like, "It is so that the Senior Staff can play with their friends." To me it shows a little part of favouritism even corruption with the fact that simply being friends with an important character in the community can earn you a rank for free that would cost over $75. If you want to play with your friends, and they keep getting kicked from games, buy them iron donor or something.

If it does come back I am highly vouching for that element of the rank to go.

Last edited:

BaccaBoy1999

Platinum
Reaction score

Can't you build a map on your own time? Moderating is going on when hackers go on, getting ddossed on the teamspeak for simply doing your job, and getting asked the same question over and over, but answering it anyways.

This isn't a thread comparing the two jobs, it should just be about friend rank, and if we want it back. I want it back to thank ex-mods for putting up with the extra crap you don't know about when signing up for the job. I am not greedy, it isn't to make anyone seem "higher up" than everyone else. It is simply so we aren't forgotten. Because, you will be forgotten, without that red name.

Fox

Diamond
Reaction score
True, I tried making a map a couple of times, it gets stressed and boring after a while. That's why I stopped doing it. But since I am a Moderator on other known server, I need to say that Moderating is way harder than it looks like. I'm not going to judge straight away and say Moderating is harder than building a map. Building a map is challenging your patience and will. Most of the map makers give up after they see how much work they should put into. But that work is temporary, after you make a map it's gone. When you're a moderator you need to work all the time. Looking for new report abuses, helping people out on teamspeak, moderating in-game since #UnbaNNed became known and it's really annoying when you see it. (Specially on EU hub chat) Most people of this community think that Moderating is easy and Moderators just chill in hub-chat. Which is completely false. Going to be honest here, there are some Moderators that are inactive, but that doesn't mean the whole Staff Team is bad, for god sake... Anyways let's stay on the topic and personally I would like to see Friend rank back. Because it shows that (players name) was a great ex-staff member. The only thing that annoyed me is that Friend rank was given to people who are close to owners.
The only thing that annoyed me is that Friend rank was given to people who are close to owners.
The only thing that annoyed me is that Friend rank was given to people who are close to owners.
Really, now? That was the goddamn purpose of the rank...
More like: The only thing that annoyed me is that for those who were friends with staff got VIP instead, some of them got that amazing deal.

Zeff

Survivor
Reaction score
That rank seems kind of childish.

Reaction score
What MCSG did with the Friend rank was a bit irresponsible in my opinion. I mean, instead of scrapping a perfectly legible rank, couldn't they like tidy it up?

MooseOnTheLoose

Spectator
Reaction score
I disagree with this, because everyday you see people with plat and don't know why. In the sense that did they buy it, get it by resigning, et cetera. The friend rank distinguishes that, Hey! I worked as mod and resigned. Its like a "a rank for a tribute to the resigned person. But when you have plat, nowadays, its just another rank.

True, it had 1 more vote, but take this into consideration. Does just ONE vote matter. Maybe it can make a difference when voting but still. And another thing is, the rank system that MCSG uses (Buycraft and I think PermissionsEx <--Not sure), its not like the things they applied cannot be changed ever. They can make it to that Friend has more votes than Plat. Its really simple.
But you see platinum is better than freind rank. Chad has to get a whole new rank and he doesn't get paid for it. Platinum is a common rank that is already set up. There isn't a need from a freind rank. Platinum is good for ex-mods. The peole that have freind rank actually got a favour because they got more perks. You say that freind rank was Hi I am a mod and I did hard work or it could mean
Hi I am a person that talked with the staff for 30 minutes every day and I got this rank!

Patrified

Career
Reaction score
Honestly I didn't see the point in Friend rank. It was really a rank for Chad's irl friends and former staff when really Chad's irl friends could just have the VIP rank. I could see a rank like "Former Staff" or something to that effect to honor those who have served on staff and have had to quit for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But you see platinum is better than freind rank. Chad has to get a whole new rank and he doesn't get paid for it. Platinum is a common rank that is already set up. There isn't a need from a freind rank. Platinum is good for ex-mods. The peole that have freind rank actually got a favour because they got more perks. You say that freind rank was Hi I am a mod and I did hard work or it could mean
Hi I am a person that talked with the staff for 30 minutes every day and I got this rank!
If you read closely, you would see the point that its not like the things they apply to ranks cannot be changed. Its not perm. It can be changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci