• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

First Pokemon Game

GeckoGoggals

Old Timer
Reaction score
My first game was Platinum, and I've played the games in order since then, but what I would recommend is to play the games in order, but play remakes if possible. So start with Fire Red or Leaf Green, then HeartGold or SoulSilver, then Ruby/Saph/Emerald, and so on until you reach X and Y. I haven't tried any spin off games like pokemon ranger, so I can't help you there.

MixedGrene

Platinum
Reaction score
My first game was Platinum, and I've played the games in order since then, but what I would recommend is to play the games in order, but play remakes if possible. So start with Fire Red or Leaf Green, then HeartGold or SoulSilver, then Ruby/Saph/Emerald, and so on until you reach X and Y. I haven't tried any spin off games like pokemon ranger, so I can't help you there.
I did not even know it was a spin off game. Thanks for the order though, it helps quite a bit.

Pearlyyy

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I've been playing pokemon since Ruby/Sapphire came out. I've played every single one that is currently out, and got ORAS on pre-order. If you're looking to get into the games, each one has it's best points.

(I haven't played Gen 1 - 2 enough to give a good opinion on them, so I'm leaving them out.)

Gen 3 (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald)
This games are great all around. They have a decent pool of pokemon to choose from and not a bad story. The layout of the region is good as well and training isn't too bad. They're a good starting place for new trainers.

As for Firered/Leafgreen, remakes of Gen 1, they're alright games. I've mainly liked them for being able to play Gen 1 with better graphics. They're also a good start, but I wouldn't say as good as RSE.

Gen 4 (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
These games are some of my favorites. They have a good story, an average one for a pokemon game, but they have a lot of pokemon to choose from, along with training much easier to do with the Vs. Seeker. I've enjoyed these games quite a bit more than RSE, but what you pick is up to you.

As for Heartgold/SoulSilver, remakes of Gen 2, are extremely fun. You get to go to 2 regions, lots of pokemon, and an extremely good post-game (Post-game being Kanto and Red.). They're extremely good games, but on the market today they're quite pricey, $50 per game.

Gen 5 (Black/White/White2/Black2)
I didn't play these games very much. Black and White limit you do only 5th gen pokemon almost entirely, and I found it somewhat of a short playthrough. (Compared to platinum.) Black2 and White2 do fix the limitations, but there are so many places added to the map that I got lost a few times. I wouldn't say these are good for newer players, but they're worth a try later on.

Gen 6 (X/Y)
Even though these are the newest games, I found these extremely fun. You're able to catch ~600 different pokemon between the two games, giving a huge variety of pokemon. The story is alright, and horrible post-game, but it's an easier game than past games, so a newer player might enjoy these games.

It's also worth mentioning that the Mystery Dungeon games, Expectantly Explorers of Sky, are incredible games. They have a great story, a good change in pace from the normal Pokemon games, and just fun all around. If you start to get into the normal games, try looking into these games.

That's my 2 sense on each generation, I'd look into either getting Emerald or X/Y if you're a newer player, for I think you'll enjoy those as your first games much more than any other one.
We need to be best friends like now.

N0va

Survivor
Reaction score
My first game personally was Pokemon Snap! I never really was into Pokemon though until Pokemon Platinum. Clocked about 500 hours into it, and caught all of them from Gen 1 - 4!

Personally, I'd recommend X/Y or OR/AS. They're extremely easy (X/Y) IMO, as you can easily grind levels with the EXP. Share.

If you are looking for something a bit challenging, and want your moneys worth, like people have said, I'd go with Heartgold and Soulsilver. Long plots, with a lot of replay value. A con is that you can't connect to Wi-Fi and battle people, trade and such, but other than that, it's probably one of the best!

If you ever finish the games though, there's always plenty of things to do, like IV/EV train your Pokemon, and get into competitive battling, or do what I'm currently doing, and Catch Em' All.

It's a good start to try yourself out with the Spin Off Games! Other games that are good are the rest of the Ranger series, Mystery Dungeon (never was a fan of them tbh) and you could try Conquest!

Also, don't cheat (use of Action Replay), it ruins the fun :mad:

Good Luck, Hope you get into Pokemon, they're really fun and probably the only other thing I play apart from MC of course

Vanicle | Vanessa

District 13
Reaction score
My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Blue and I've played practically every single one since then. :)

P.S. I moved this into the other games section!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci