• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Flame vs Debate The fine line of the forums

Cameron

Diamond
Reaction score
During my long time of being on the forums. I have seen a lot of flame on the forums yet sometimes questioned why it was deleted. When I became staff, I almost felt obliged to delete posts or lock threads that seemed like flame, but after being a moderator for longer, I realised that there is a fine line that is to be expected, but that's not the problem. The problem lies is that the staff have a different perspective on what is flame than the community, leading to hatred of the staff and making that river between staff and the community seem a lot bigger than expected.

So I would like to hear what people have to say while I procrastinate some more. Where should we, as a whole community, draw that fine line when both the staff and community agree that a post, a whole page or even the thread, should be removed.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Personally, the line becomes clear once someone is attacking another person instead of adding a discussion. When two people are on different sides of an argument and are debating with facts and valid points, there is nothing wrong, but when things turn personal or offensive we should take action c:

Reaction score
Saying something how it is if it offends anyone it's perceived as flame.
There is a line though if you start individually attacking someone its clearly flame

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninetales

Survivor
Reaction score
I think as soon as it becomes personal, and you a starting to throw in some derogatory words like: Idiot etc. Debate and banter is good, but there is a fine line between Flame and Debate.

Divining

Platinum
Reaction score
When you clearly just attack the server, the staff, random people, or even your closest of friends.

In my opinion, stating your opinion on the server, forums etc is fine with me. I've never once punished someone in game for sharing their opinions about our games, moderators etc unless they take it too far.

It's about time a thread like this was made to ensure the community can give back their thoughts on what "flame" really means. I think we need to begin instructing our staff team a little more on how to handle forum situations, and hopefully with these "In Depth Forum Training Sessions" being required now, that'll happen.

Great thread, although it's been locked for flame.

jk <3

IceCarbonDiabloX

Experienced
Reaction score
flame is when people start adding things like swearing and personal attacks like (you are a Ultimate Fishing Rod Of Doom son of a Ultimate Fishing Rod Of Doom asshole)

AquaTechMC

Staffing Team Representative
Reaction score
Personally, I would say that any topic deemed to be controversial in which it reached the point of hatred or discrimination would be what the main stream agrees with. Who defines what would be considered hatred or discrimination is merely society. After working for two very known communities for quite a bit of time between the two, I would say that common sense is one of the most useful tools in determining what is okay to say. Although, there are many specifics that get involved since there are far more than one way to cause flame or just general controversy. Even though I could talk about the subject almost endlessly, I guess you could say that is my little piece of experience in a nutshell with flame whether it be on the forums, In-game, or Teamspeak.

Giggity69Goo

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Flame: Someone denies your opinions or goes against what you say and makes fun of you or harasses you for the way you think.

Debate: Kindly giving your opposing opinion without bashing on the other person and back it up with some facts or evidence.

At least that's my opinion

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci