• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Guide Forum Tips/Etiquette

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is a sort of guide thing on what to do and what to avoid doing on our amazing MCSG forums. I wrote this because in recent times I have seen far too many people that do these simple however silly things, and they bother many of us forumers. So I wrote this so that new forumers, or even veterans of these forums, would know what is expected of you (at least from me) on these great forums.

1. Double posting
For those of you who don't know, double posting is when you post messages twice in a row, and no one posted in between your two posts. It's often used to get your post count up. If you want to do that, go into Off Topic Discussions and at the top there are Forum Games.
It's completely unnecessary. If you missed something in your original post, please just go back and edit it in. I've seen many people make a post and then in the next post put something like "And oh yeah, blah blah blah" or "Grammar fix, their*". The edit button is at the bottom of your post, closer to the left side.
People also double post when replying to a different person. It's unnecessary. You press the Reply button to quote something, and then you put whatever you wanted to say after it. Then you press enter, press the Reply button on the post you wanna quote next and reply to that one too. You don't need to make several different posts just to reply to different people.
Worst of all, don't double post just to annoy me. That's just harassing me, and I believe it's punishable. I've seen people get completely off topic and post multiple times just after I told them not do double post. Some (iMightTroll... Of course, it comes with his name) have even just gone in the thread after I told them not to double post and posted 4 times in a row, saying "Post, Double Post, Triple Post, Quadruple Post".

There are, however, occasions where I will accept double posting, or just not consider it to be a problem. The first one is a glitch where it doesn't show that you posted something, so you think you didn't post it at all and press the post button again. It's an accident, and you can delete the second post, but I won't pester you to.
The second occasion is if you posted something, then a long while later (a couple hours, couple days, couple weeks, just more than a few minutes) you want to add something separate. Like in an art making thread, you post telling people they were added to the queue. Then the next day, you finished one of the avatars or whatever you're doing, and you make another post with the completed work in it. It gives people the alert again if they viewed the thread after your previous post.
The third and final situation where I allow double posting in is if a post is too long to fit into one post (I believe the max is 10 000 characters). It has happened to me on multiple occasions, such as with this thread.

Double posting is now against the rules! A quote directly from the rules thread, you can press the up arrow to see that it's true.
2. Do not multipost: Posting more than one post in a row is not allowed since it makes it take longer for others to view posts below yours.

• If there is an update to a topic, and no one has yet mentioned it, you are allowed to post more than once in a row.
  • We have an edit button for a reason, please use that instead of multiposting.
  • We understand that accidents happen sometimes, so don’t worry about being in trouble for multiposting the same message due to phone/internet issues.
2. Proper grammar
There are many people on the forums that use improper grammar, or just don't follow the normal rules of writing. Here are some for you to remember.

• Always start a sentence with a capital letter. This is simple, you hold the shift key before typing the letter.
  • End a sentence with a ".", or a face (like :p, :eek:, :)). I will accept ending a sentence with a face, because I do it quite often myself. But don't end a sentence blankly.
  • Difference between There, Their and They're: There is used when talking about a place. For example, "You can find a rock over there". Their is used when talking about the possession of multiple people. "That rock is theirs". They're is used instead of "They are", as an abbreviation. "They are playing with that rock" will become "They're playing with that rock".
  • Difference between Your and You're: Your is used when talking to someone about their possession. For example, "That rock is yours". You're, like they're, is used instead of "You are", as an abbreviation. "You are like a rock" can be replaced by "You're like a rock".
  • Spell things like they are supposed to be spelt, and don’t use shortenings/abbreviations. For example, saying “plz” instead of “please”, or “thx/ty” instead of “thanks/thank you”.
A good link for you all :) http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

If you’re just joking around on occasion (I do it myself sometimes), using bad grammar is acceptable. Especially if I know you normally have fine grammar. *Note: All word explanation/definition things I came up with myself, I didn’t use the internet. So if anyone has any replacements for those that they would prefer I used, if I got anything wrong, or if they have anymore tips they would like me to add, say so please :)

3. ‘Necro’-ing old threads
‘Necro’-ing is when you find a thread that hasn’t been replied to in a long time, and then post on it yourself.
There are occasions when it’s alright, like if you want to add to the discussion with something new, but otherwise it’s just useless and brings back an old dead thread. And do not in any case necro a thread that was last replied to in 2012, for the sake of all of us.

4. Useless posts
This is something that nearly everyone does. By useless post, I mean a post that doesn’t really give your opinion on something.
A post where you’re quoting what someone said, or just replying to a thread, saying something like “Good Idea” or “I agree”. If you think it’s a good idea, or you agree, then just like the post that you agree with instead of making a useless post that really just brings your post count up.

HalfSquirrel

Diamond
Reaction score
5. Repeating what other people say
Often I will reply to a thread with help to what the person needs, or my opinion on a topic, then someone else will come along and say the exact same thing, in different words (I find it’s more commonly done by staff members, but it may not be on purpose).
I understand not wanting to read a bunch of long posts about what other people said, and I’m not even going to ask you to do it in big threads of several pages, but please at least roughly skim all the posts. That way, if you have something to say that someone already else said and you want to add to it, you can at least give credit to the person who originally said it. I know I don’t always do this, but I try my best to. It’s just annoying when I write something on the subject, then someone else comes along and says the same thing using different words (and it’s even happened with all the same words..), then they get all the credit. It’s not a big deal, but it’s one of those small things that annoys me and I’m sure it annoys others too.
I find it’s more commonly done by staff members, like I said above, and they normally get more noticed because they are staff members. Sometimes it’s nice to know that a staff member, or even anyone, acknowledges that you said it before them.

6. Flame wars
Flame wars are arguments that can be on or off topic, and normally involve being rude to each other. It's fine to have different opinions, just avoid calling other peoples' opinions wrong or bad.
Flame wars can be started over anything, and when a flame war is going on in a thread the thread is normally locked unless it is resolved quickly and peacefully. So don't ruin peoples' threads by starting an argument and possibly forcing them to remake the thread.

7. Quoting large posts
It takes up a lot of space that other people have to scroll through to get to your response and is a waste of space.
If you want to reply to one of these large posts, quote it and replace the inside of the quote with -Snip- or something like that, or you can just quote the specific part you're replying to by removing the rest from the inside of the quote.

8. Being mean to people that make posts that have been repeated before
There are a ton of people on these forums that have been here for a while, yet whenever someone comes to the forums to make a thread that has been made before, they decide to get mad at that person and be rude for making a thread already there.
It's not hard to answer them politely, and be nice to them. Someone came on here less than a week ago and made a thread suggesting something to change the donor kicking thing. There were at least 3 people there that started raging at him, and then the new forumer said he was leaving the forums because he hated the community. Would you like it if you were treated like that, to the point where you hated the forums? I doubt it. And if you do want that, then you might be a bit crazy. Check with a doctor for that. :p

9. Read the thread before posting.
Far too often as of late I've been going through my alerts and people would reply to suggestions. I would then proceed to point out that they misunderstood the suggestion because they only read the title, and that the thread maker already said something about that in the original thread.
It's not completely necessary to read every word, but at least read a bit of the thread or skim it all to get the gist of what the OP is trying to say! It's silly to disagree with an opinion before even reading why he thinks like that.

Of course guys, follow the normal forum rules too. These are just things that will prevent a Squirrel rage on you. And I remember there being a thread like this before, but I don’t know what happened to it. So whoever made that (I think it was eshan), kudos to you. If you would like to add anything to this, just tell me and I will gladly add it in :)
Sorry for double posting, like I said above it was necessary.
Made it colourful for duckluv321 :p

Reaction score
5. Repeating what other people say
Often I will reply to a thread with help to what the person needs, or my opinion on a topic, then someone else will come along and say the exact same thing, in different words (I find it’s more commonly done by staff members, but it may not be on purpose).
I understand not wanting to read a bunch of long posts about what other people said, and I’m not even going to ask you to do it in big threads of several pages, but please at least roughly skim all the posts. That way, if you have something to say that someone already else said and you want to add to it, you can at least give credit to the person who originally said it. I know I don’t always do this, but I try my best to. It’s just annoying when I write something on the subject, then someone else comes along and says the same thing using different words (and it’s even happened with all the same words..), then they get all the credit. It’s not a big deal, but it’s one of those small things that annoys me and I’m sure it annoys others too.
I find it’s more commonly done by staff members, like I said above, and they normally get more noticed because they are staff members. Sometimes it’s nice to know that a staff member, or even anyone, acknowledges that you said it before them.

6. Flame wars
Flame wars are arguments that can be on or off topic, and normally involve being rude to each other. It's fine to have different opinions, just avoid calling other peoples' opinions wrong or bad.
Flame wars can be started over anything, and when a flame war is going on in a thread the thread is normally locked unless it is resolved quickly and peacefully. So don't ruin peoples' threads by starting an argument and possibly forcing them to remake the thread.

Of course guys, follow the normal forum rules too. These are just things that will prevent a Squirrel rage on you. And I remember there being a thread like this before, but I don’t know what happened to it. So whoever made that (I think it was eshan), kudos to you. If you would like to add anything to this, just tell me and I will gladly add it in :)
Sorry for double posting, like I said above it was necessary.
Made it colourful for duckluv321 :p
I like the colors, but at least make it readable... my eyes...

Hystericallify

District 13
Reaction score
Lol'd at Shaun's post. By the way, using colours to make your post more fancy is a no-no. It hurts the eye to see awkward colours next to each other.

Tozzaa

Tribute
Reaction score
Thanks for this list and hopefully it gets further developed as time goes on. Although I do agree that the colours may need to be revised.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci