• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

FRDM: An interesting, useful, yet highly impractical strategy/concept

D

Damien // Teepwn

Hi there,
This thread is to showcase an interesting concept I thought of using fishing rods and the way Minecraft registers hits.

F: Fishing
R: Rod
D: Damage
M: Masking

The basis of this takes advantage on the way Minecraft registers hits. When you take damage in any shape, or form you turn red and have a short period of invincibility where you cannot be hit. By using this concept, you can mask the damage of a bow, for example with that of a fishing rod.

Example: Your game has four people left, you and your teammate are extremely under-geared and all of a sudden a stacked full iron guy comes after you. To make luck worse, you guys are both in the water and he has tons of arrows. He's targeting your teammate. You start fishing rodding your teammate as the arrows fly at him. He takes no damage as the fishing rod hits him first and gives him the temporary invincibility.

If you still don't understand I made a video showcasing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
OH MY GOSH THATS GENIUS >_> +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Has anyone ever thought of this before?
Wow, that's really clever, using the Minecraft mechanics like this.

Edit: One question. What happens when the geared guy just goes for the person using the fishing rod, and they die? :p
Edit 2: Also, this is impractical IMO. Really awesome, but impractical.

Last edited:

C0nsole

Diamond
Reaction score
Seems really cool!
This probably requires a lot of coordination between you and your teammate, but if you can pull it off that's really helpful!

Thanks for this!

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I've thought about the concept before, but this is the first time I've seen an actual plan with somewhat practical applications. Nice thinking!

D

Damien // Teepwn

OH MY GOSH THATS GENIUS >_> +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Has anyone ever thought of this before?
Wow, that's really clever, using the Minecraft mechanics like this.

Edit: One question. What happens when the geared guy just goes for the person using the fishing rod, and they die? :p
Edit 2: Also, this is impractical IMO. Really awesome, but impractical.
Well, your teammate could start rodding you instead. If he doesn't have a rod... I don't know, that example is more just for theory. I'm sure there are more practical uses for it (I just can't currently think of any..).

SniperSnakez

District 13
Reaction score
Or you could just dodge the arrows and get behind something... anywas, cool!

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Well, your teammate could start rodding you instead. If he doesn't have a rod... I don't know, that example is more just for theory. I'm sure there are more practical uses for it (I just can't currently think of any..).
I came up with this idea a while ago, but never publicised it. I never thought of using it for arrows, I more so thought of it for negating fall damage. It's a brilliant concept, however requires perfect timing which makes it hard to do. I never perfected it and just raged at it so I have up. xD

D

Damien // Teepwn

Or you could just dodge the arrows and get behind something... anywas, cool!
I never said it was practical. :p
And if you're in water and the person is a good shot, it can be extremely hard to dodge their arrows.
I came up with this idea a while ago, but never publicised it. I never thought of using it for arrows, I more so thought of it for negating fall damage. It's a brilliant concept, however requires perfect timing which makes it hard to do. I never perfected it and just raged at it so I have up. xD
Hahah, that's honestly a really good use for it. Like you said it'll need precise timing but I can imagine it'll be extremely effective if pulled off correctly.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
An easy substitution: Punching with fist or non-damaging items. It might do half a heart of damage once in a while, but overall it would be much less damaging, and wouldn't wear down your fishing rod.

Cartercraft99

Experienced
Reaction score
So are you saying that if you are falling to your death, and fishing rod yourself at the perfect time right when you are about to hit the ground, you won't die?

RC_4777

Mockingjay
Reaction score
An easy substitution: Punching with fist or non-damaging items. It might do half a heart of damage once in a while, but overall it would be much less damaging, and wouldn't wear down your fishing rod.
Fishing rod has range and an extremely easy to use and not illegal way to give it infinite durability.

darkai202

Mockingjay
Reaction score
So are you saying that if you are falling to your death, and fishing rod yourself at the perfect time right when you are about to hit the ground, you won't die?
Yeah, that was my philosophy. I got it to work ONCE. I had a team-mate on the ground and when I jumped off he had to rod me a split second before I hit the ground.

Hahah, that's honestly a really good use for it. Like you said it'll need precise timing but I can imagine it'll be extremely effective if pulled off correctly.
It's incredibly hard though, not really a tactic to rely on but a very interesting theory. I'd love to see someone perfect it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci