• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Gaming Laptop

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
*EDIT* This is extremely edited so Zeejay's comment won't make sense...
So I've kinda turned this into a more general thread.
Well if you know me I generally have very low fps. The max I get is around 20, even on max fps. This thread is to give out suggestions and tips for people who might want to get a new laptop (or computer if that's your sort of thing) to get better fps.
My max budget is around 800 CAD.

Here's some tips from Joshkey! Thanks for giving them!
Ok its a little bit hard because laptops are more expensive in england than america and canada so i cant really tell you what laptop whould be best for you but i can tell you what you will need to run what you need it to.

First of is the processer there are different ones so here is a list of what they are and what there best at.
# Intel@ core i7 Extreme processer = Perfect for hardcore gaming. (intels best processer)
# Intel@ core i7 Processer = multimedia creations and serious multitasking. Also very good for gaming.
# Intel@ core i5 Processor = smart performance with a speed boost for video, Photo, email and internet. (This processor or above will all run minecraft well, Bellow processors might be able to play minecraft but i wouldn't advise it.
# Intel@ core i3 Processor = good performance for common tasks like listening to music.
# Intel@ Pentium Mobile Processor = exceptional value with reliable performance.
#Intel@ Celeron Mobile Processor = very good value for basic computer needs.
These are all Intels basic processers with the top one being the best and most expensive to the bottom one being the least powerfull and cheapest.

This is a good website that i got this info of and it might be able to help you.http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html

Each Processer has an option of clock speeds obviously the faster the better. My laptop runs on a duel core ( Duel core is faster but more expensive) Intel@ core i7 Processer -2630QM cpu Running at 2.00GHZ on both prosessors. Minecraft uses only one processer unless you use a mod like optifine which i think has the option to share the load between the two which means that minecraft will run a lot better. A 2.00GHZ prosesser is not bad and will run minecraft at around 250fps which is not the best. ( I have two of these prosessors so it makes up for the average GHZ) This stuff confuses me a little lol all you really need to know is thats the faster the prosesser the bettes/ more expensive. But i think anything from and above 1.50GHZ should be fine for minecraft but dont quote me on that :)

Now You will also need a good amount of RAM (Memory) Windows 7 usually uses under 1 gb of memory and minecraft works fine with 1 gb as well although it will run faster and smoother. My laptop has 8gb of memory but i have given minecrat only 4gb and it runs amazingly. I would recomend 4gb of memory on your laptop but you can go under and if you can spend i little extra by a laptop with as much ram as you can afford.

Ok now we have that down we need to look at graphics cards, soundcards, and dedicated memory for graphics cards.
To my Knowlage i dont believe that minecraft uses a graphics card because it runs on java. This means if you are not a hardcore came or a big gamer in general you dont have to worry but if you are ill say a bit about them.

Sound cards. Most laptops sound cards are average and are usually cant be customised in the buying prosess. As of recent most laptops are being sold with BEATS audio which i persume is good. My laptop has realtek audio sound card which from my experiance is really good for a laptop. But you will have to do some digging on what sound cards are good and bad.

Graphics cards. The only two options i know for laptops is Nvidia and ATI there are others but i dont know much about them. Now which is better Nvidia or ATI. Well i think this is a personal opinion to the user. I prefer Nvidia because my laptop has it lol. They both have there perks but are very equal and you cant really go wrong with if you bought one or the other. Nvidia and ATI both have different spec cards depending on your price range and what you want them to do But remember minecraft might not use these ( If you could tell me if minecraft uses a graphis card please tell me below lol).

Also graphics cards usually come with dedicated memory. This is memory that is only used for gaming. The more the better. My Nvidia Geforce GTX has 3gb of dedicated memory and it runs crysis very well on ultra. But it all depends on what you need it for and how much you are willing to spend.

AHHHHH finally lol all the little extras like screens for example, size, resolution, 3d capability, Disk drives for example, normal disk drive, re wrighter, bluray disk drive blueray re wrighter. There are lots more options of course but again its all about cost, the more options you have the higher the cost. Also when buying look for extras like a free mouse and carry bag.

Im sorry i wrote a little essay but i hope you learnt what you needed to know from this and if you think i missed somthing or would like to ask me a question post bellow or pm me. As for places to but try dell ( Not Alienware there a rip off) asus e.t.c and use websites like http://www.prudentpanda.co.uk/ to get amazing deals. ( Obviously prudent panda is an english site to find deals in england but im sure there are simalar sites around the rest of the world. Thanks for reading and if you think this was helpfull please like this post.

If you have anymore feel free to leave them down here....
Have a nice day people! :D
And thanks to everyone that has responded to this thread post! :)

zeejayy

Career
Reaction score
I wouldn't really call that a gaming laptop, You can build a decent gaming desktop for about 800$, maybe that's worth giving a shot?

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
I wouldn't really call that a gaming laptop, You can build a decent gaming desktop for about 800$, maybe that's worth giving a shot?
I know it's not considered a "gaming" laptop I just want to be sure it will run Minecraft well. The rest doesn't matter too much, and I'm not a laptop pro so I don't know anything XD.
Also I'm going to the US this week so I might find something.
What would you suggest for that price range?
Oh, and I can't build a laptop... I can't.

zeejayy

Career
Reaction score
I know it's not considered a "gaming" laptop I just want to be sure it will run Minecraft well. The rest doesn't matter too much, and I'm not a laptop pro so I don't know anything XD.
Also I'm going to the US this week so I might find something.
What would you suggest for that price range?
Oh, and I can't build a laptop... I can't.
700-1000$ If you want something good.
I still think you should build a computer.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
700-1000$ If you want something good.
My recommendation is this bad-boy: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394582,00.asp
I've owned one myself and I could run very high end games. :D

Edit: That's probably going overboard.
Thanks for the idea, I'll take it into consideration.
But I don't want anything TOO heavy-duty gaming. I just want something that will get me good frames in Minecraft or in any other games. I don't want to go too professional because I'm not that much of a professional gamer, but anything is better than my PC. And I don't really care about the rest.

zeejayy

Career
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea, I'll take it into consideration.
But I don't want anything TOO heavy-duty gaming. I just want something that will get me good frames in Minecraft or in any other games. I don't want to go too professional because I'm not that much of a professional gamer, but anything is better than my PC. And I don't really care about the rest.
Well, minecraft hates laptops.

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
In 1.3 when Minecraft uses less ram would it have to do anything with lag?
So I guess that's all that's good? Well I'll look around...
What to look for......?

CrazyGabe

Spectator
Reaction score
Ok, so if you all read my other post you know my computer isn't very good, and it runs the servers and Minecraft in general laggy. It also crashed on me 15+ times while I was playing.
So I decided I was going to get a laptop so I can play it on.
I found one for $680.00 CAD and I want to see if it's really worth it.
It's the ASUS "15.6 X53E-RS51-BU featuring intel core i5240M processor.
I'm not a real laptop/computer expert but I want to see if it will run Minecraft smoothly and if it's an all-around good laptop.
I don't want to put too much money into this, so my max is around $700.00.
Link to specs: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...-x53e-rs51-bu-blue-x53e-rs51-bu/10210853.aspx
With that laptop you can run BF3 at low with 5-10 fps with no players on a map(trust me i have that graphic card on my M14x as a secondary GPU).Sorry dude,but with $1000 you can get a decent gaming rig,which is better than a $2500 gaming laptop ....

buy these for your rig:

GPU:nVidia GTX 560 ti from EVGA(it has some nice feautures compared to the standard one,same price)

Motherboard:ASUS Maximus V Gene

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K(always buy the intel CPU that has a K at the end)

Case: CoolerMaster Eliter 334 nVidia Edition

Power Supply: ATX PS2 power supply

RAM:Kingston Hyper-X 8,00GB RAM

1 TB SATA 3gb/s 7200 RPM
-----------------------------------------------------
Total Price: $1259

And BTW,it beats the hell crap of an Alienware Aurora which would cost almost $3000

Mamiamato24

Diamond
Reaction score
With that laptop you can run BF3 at low with 5-10 fps with no players on a map(trust me i have that graphic card on my M14x as a secondary GPU).Sorry dude,but with $1000 you can get a decent gaming rig,which is better than a $2500 gaming laptop ....

buy these for your rig:

GPU:nVidia GTX 560 ti from EVGA(it has some nice feautures compared to the standard one,same price)

Motherboard:ASUS Maximus V Gene

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K(always buy the intel CPU that has a K at the end)

Case: CoolerMaster Eliter 334 nVidia Edition

Power Supply: ATX PS2 power supply

RAM:Kingston Hyper-X 8,00GB RAM

1 TB SATA 3gb/s 7200 RPM
-----------------------------------------------------
Total Price: $1259

And BTW,it beats the hell crap of an Alienware Aurora which would cost almost $3000
Oh, well I can't build anything for life.
And that's a little too expensive. Will keep looking around...

Doomd12

Survivor
Reaction score
ASUS A43SA

Intel core 15 2450M 2.5G hz
RAM 4GB
HDD 500GB
Nvidia Geforce GT 630M 2GB

CrazyGabe

Spectator
Reaction score
Samsung WriteMaster SH-S222BB/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12x DVD±R, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, SATA, Black, OEM

£13.18

1GB Asus GTX 550 Ti, 4104MHz GDDR5, GPU 900MHz, Shader 1800MHz, 192 Cores, Dual Link DVI-I/ D-Sub/ HDMI

£89.86

1TB Hitachi 0F13180, Deskstar 7K1000.D, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 32MB Cache, 8ms, OEM

£76.92

Intel Core i5 2380P, S 1155, Sandy Bridge, Quad Core 3.1GHz, 6MB Smart Cache, 31x Ratio, 95W, Retail

£142.98

4GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.65V

£19.68

Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2-B3, Intel H61, S 1155, DDR3, SATA II - 3Gb/s, PCIe 2.0 (x16), VGA On Board, Micro ATX

£39.13

430W PSU, Corsair Builder Series CMPSU-430CX, 80% Eff', Uncertified, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3

£36.52

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1, Operating System, Single, - OEM

£72.08

InWin EN036 X-Rider Micro-ATX Black Minitower Performance Case

£26.38

Total: $827,52,sorry mate,there's no way you can get a gaming rig for $700,neither for $827,52,but at least it can run most games on high,well BF3 gor example medium/high 1920x1080

BikerboyAJC

Tribute
Reaction score
sorry mate,there's no way you can get a gaming rig for $700,neither for $827,52,but at least it can run most games on high,well BF3 gor example medium/high 1920x1080​

Are you talking about a desktop rig? because my rig cost $550 and it runs BF3 better than your rig you just posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci