• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

[Guide] How to debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

WookiePack101

Experienced
Reaction score
Want to post a debate here on the forums? Here's a quick guide on how to avoid turning it into a spam-fest.
So, whether you are making a new thread or posting on an already existing debate, here's how to avoid getting an infraction and help keep interesting threads alive.

Remember that these aren't forum rules but rather suggestions on how to keep your debates on-topic and civilized.
Ergo I suggest linking to this thread whenever you make a new debate.

Starting off I'll list some topics you will want to avoid like the plague:
  • Extreme religious content.
  • The Holocaust/Antisemitism
  • Conspiracy Theories
  • Racism
  • Discrimination
  • Necrophilia, pedophilia etc.
(A bunch of those topics are also against the forum rules).

Some general guidelines that you should at least pay attention to when you post:
1) If you quote a news source, it should at least be a respectable source, not some guy's blog.

2) Having a debate is fine, blindly arguing for your side isn't.

3) Always keep an open mind, things change, and you may have only seen one aspect of the subject.

4) Propaganda should not be posted, unless you are making fun of it or discussing something about it. It should never be used as a way to prove a point or incite anger. Generally i suggest avoiding it like the plague.

5) Debates should be kept strictly on-topic. I encourage debate amongst users as long as it is within the subject of the thread and civilized. Never start discussing the believes of a user that is not strictly within the topic of the thread.

Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement:
Graham's guide to disagreement can be found here:
http://www.paulgraham.com/disagree.html

Short version:
The picture bellow shows the "pyramid of disagreement".
The general idea is that the further down on the pyramid you are, the worse your argument is.

You want to strive towards at least making a counter-argument or higher.
If you are writing a contradiction, stop for a few second and think about how you could implement some proof into your argument. An argument without proof or a good reasoning doesn't help anyone.

The worst you could possibly do is the three lowest points on the pyramid.
"name-calling", "ad-hominem", and "responding to tone".
Generally these often make you sound like an internet troll or hater.

Last edited:

Niall

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
Fantastic and mature guide!

Thread moved to Community Guides forum.

Miner9823

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
The guide is incredible! Hopefully people will follow it if there are to be debate competitions on the forums! :D

jtmboy

Diamond
Reaction score
TL due to necro posting

PM me with any further questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members