• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Helios - Kingdom of the Sky

Do you like it so far? Explain in the comments. ;)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperxAndrew

District 13
Reaction score
In the wake of all the excitement over the past few days (my map got accepted and stuff), I thought it was about time to share my newest project, Helios. The term Helios refers to something that has to do with the Greek God of the sky. It sounded cool. Anyway, the whole idea behind this map was to create a skylands map that not only looked good, but was good for pvp. I'll elaborate more on that later. For now you guys can see some screenshots and let me know what you think. Keep in mind that the map is barely half way done, if that.

^This is the picture of the farm island. It is complete with a windmill, a barn, and a farm house; it also showcases plenty of flat land for pvp.

^This picture also shows the backside of the barn as well as one of the sky bridges and a hot air balloon landing pad.

^This shows a new sky bridge and the other sky bridge from the last screenshot. But the main thing here is the air ship and the sky dock.

^This is the "hot air balloon island". It showcases a couple of hot air balloons along with their landing pads. There is also a cool tower.

^This is the beginning of the residential district. Much of it still has to be built. the paths and land offers some terrain variation, but nothing that hinders pvp.

^Here is a view of the corn. It is very flat and open, but it does have the obstacle in the middle. There are 8 corn chests and 1 crafting table. The castle is also visible in the background.

^This is a side view of the castle, there is still a lot of work to be done. However, it is going to be one of the cooler features of the map.

Ok, that is it, now let me elaborate on some points that I know will come up:

1. This may remind of you of Mortal Skies, but the theme and concept are actually much different. The only thing the two maps actually have in common is the sky part. Mortal Skies is a floating platform above the Earth, while this map is actual floating earth, or skylands. Mortal Skies is a floating town, but this map is a kingdom. And lastly, mortal skies is modern (air planes, etc.) while this build is full-on medieval. (Just wanted to stress this because this is the most common comment I have gotten when I have showed people the map.)

2. The first thing I think of when I hear Skylands is "lag" and "bad pvp". On this map we made sure to leave out the laggy blocks (particularly item frames) while making sure that fps was maximized. The void left without a floor also lags, so we put a layer of glass at the bottom to get rid of this. There are also invisible blocks to prevent people from enderpearling down. The pvp on this map is actually pretty good. (A couple of people and I have battled a time or two on it, and it is actually fun.) Sure, there is always the obstacle of falling off, but that is a fun challenge if you ask me. Also, the islands and bridges offer open spaces and flat ground for pvp. There are also balanced routes and secrets to be discovered. Of course it is up to opinion, but this map doesn't add the common struggles that are generally found in a Skylands map.

That is about it, I hope you guys like it. Be sure to leave feedback in the comments below and vote in the poll! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci