• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Hierarchical Forums

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
I think it's quite rude when people tag Mooclan every time there is a controversial thread, as he often doesn't want to reply.
I can definitely see where you're coming from, but as a young padawan forumite I dreamed of being tagged and asked to make a post. :3 I guess I'm okay with it.

Zaex

Diamond
Reaction score
(To start this off, this is a very well made thread, and I agree w/ most that you have said.)

Now, IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION, I do believe in this Hierarchical Forums. In most instances, I do see how popular forumers get more attention, discussion, and thought into their threads. (Of course, if it is well-made out, has a claim and a counterclaim to support whatever it is arguing, and whatnot, then of course, it's gonna be a good thread.) Even if it is not the most relevant discussion out there, and there is a better one to discuss by said less-popular user, more than likely the bigger forumer is still going to take some of the fame, even if it isn't
Something interesting, whether it be funny, serious, or emotional.
Just people seeing that said forumer is making a post, then they are in the discussion.

I feel as though really popular forumers almost feel the need to post long responses since that's what they're well known for, and whenever they do make these walls of text, it's well received by the community when they could have talked about nonsense the whole time.
As a friend of Mooclan, who is constantly bombarded most of the time to be expected to do this, I can feel his pain (School.. .-.) Even though it is really cool to see a well-thought out post by these people often, we shouldn't expect a post like that ALL THE TIME.
As a responce to Mooclan's post earlier:
So true. If you expect someone to write about something they don't want to, then they will ultimately produce a low quality post. I think it's quite rude when people tag Mooclan every time there is a controversial thread, as he often doesn't want to reply.
This, which I agree wholeheartedly. Even if he makes a few posts not so long, people might bash on it due to it not being up to their expectations of a person they usually see threads and posts worth of information all the time.

(Sorry of it doesn't make much sense, homework and 11 o'clock PM can do a lot for someone who doesn't make long posts often..)

J

Joel/MadDawg

Wow what a good thread. Although I do understand why a long post might get more recognition than a one-liner (usually does a better job of showing and explaining reasons behind post), I completely agree with your commentary about the class system of the forums.

I fell like I fit into the second category you have described. Since I first started on the forums one of my goals was to be well recognized and respected on the forums. This has led me over time to try to make my posts longer and longer, because nowadays you are practically forced to make lengthy posts if you want to gain recognition. After a week or so of all out foruming I will get burned out and disappear completely from the forums for a few weeks. I have gone through this cycle many times now.

I want to be recognized for my posts (who doesn't honestly), but I hate how you are forced to write an essay often to get any sort of attention. Naturally I tend to write posts that are brief, but what's the point of posting something short when it is likely to not be aknowledged...

I guess the point of this is that the forums have almost gotten too good for themselves. The standard for a "good post" is absurdly high and difficult to reach for many people. The result of this is that many people don't share their opinions on the forums because they almost feel inferior if they are unable to express them in a multi-paragraph post.

Ephizav2

Diamond
Reaction score
i skip long posts and skim. i actually take the time to read posts that are short, and concise to the topic, instead of going on and rambling for 10 paragraphs. ez way to forum

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
Though I do agree that the phenomena you are commenting on occurs, I think it does so for good reason.

Typically, a longer post includes more reasoning to back up your opinion; it has examples, a logical progression of ideas and, ultimately, a stronger case. Though in some cases a single line response is more concise and appropriate, and some long posts contain little to no actual substance (including posts by popular forummers), as a GENERAL rule, long posts are more likely to be of a higher quality.

If you are reading a post by a forummer who you have seen make many insightful comments in the past, you ARE more likely to pay attention to it, but that does not mean that a popular forummer cannot have a bad idea that can be criticized/ignored, nor does it mean an unknown forummer can't have a great idea that is celebrated and discussed.

People follow patterns, and if someone presents a pattern of making high quality posts, then, by basic human social behavior, they will be recognized for that fact.

jtmboy

Diamond
Reaction score
This thread is amazing and puts out a good amount of realistic and true information:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci