• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How Can MCGamer Improve?

AtomiicDynamite

Quantum
Reaction score
It has been more than 4 years since MCSG(now known as MCGamer as a network whole) has been running. We can all remember the amazing memories we’ve had, like getting our first win, killing a famous youtuber, or even getting 1000 points. I personally have a lot of memories, but I still want to have more. MCGamer has brought so much happiness into my life, and I think it has done the same to many of you. Speaking for the whole community, we want this place to be a fun and enjoying server to play and interact on.

But of course as a normal part of life, things change. MCSG got more gamemodes and became a network known as MCGamer. It then developed more and became MCGamer V2. Along with the network, our desires are changing too. Although changes can be good and improve many things, it could also be bad and cause frustration. These last couple of weeks, I have noticed a large number of threads being created criticizing different aspects of the network and the changes it’s going through. Although you may think that the staff here hate these threads and will always want to delete/lock every single one, we really don’t! We absolutely respect your ideas, and love to hear them. What causes problems is the unnecessary flame and vulgar language that is used in the threads, completely defeating the purpose of wanting high staff/community attention if it’s going to get locked/deleted anyways for breaking the rules!

The reason I wanted to create this thread, was to ask what the title says, how can MCGamer improve? I want to ask you, as the community, to please post what you think needs to be added/removed/fixed/done in the server to make it better. You are able to critique/discuss/debate about any aspect of the server, but please keep in mind that your insights should not contain flame, vulgar language, or inappropriate content as it will be deleted. Please contain as much detail as possible, as it will help for the next paragraph below.

I will be listing down every question/desire that you post below, and bringing it up at the next staff meeting. Whatever non-classified answers I received, I will post them below each question. :)

List of improvement:
1. Get rid of Survival Bingo, Zed Chase, and Deadly Descent, replace it with Survival or Creative
2. Status of anticheat(pretty broad tbh)
3. Bringing back Iron donor to increase number of donations and possibly bring back Au
4. Add old maps like Wyverns Wake
5. Add 1v1's? (1v1 tourneys have happened, but in MCSG maker)
6. Switch UHC Worlds to Hosted UHC
7. Connection between high staff and community(updates of changelog needed)
Great thread, some really good points. But I think it's too late to save MCgamer, lots of people have left and they're not coming back like even if AU came back I think it would only get half of it's players back. I know if AU came back I wouldn't come back fully i'd only play for cbs.

This is just my opinion.

I also have another thing that you could add to your improvements list: Try to get Chad to listen to his community.

Jdi

Survivor
Reaction score

If you're watching the player the rest of the game, why not be a helping hand and record him? In the end, he'll get punished if he's hacking. We cannot keep up with hundreds of players across 2 different regions at all times; some help from the community is needed if we want to keep the network as low on hackers as possible.
What's the point? Many hackers just use alts from MCLeaks or private places so don't care if they are banned and will just come back + it takes hours to get a reply to a report on the forums and by then the account is already locked and gone from using again so it's a waste of time.

Preston417

Career
Reaction score
What's the point? Many hackers just use alts from MCLeaks or private places so don't care if they are banned and will just come back + it takes hours to get a reply to a report on the forums and by then the account is already locked and gone from using again so it's a waste of time.
The more you report the more public alts will be banned, so it does help. c;

Hyzo

Spectator
Reaction score
I mean...we don't. If you're permanently banned (non-hacking related), you've had a lot of warnings and you deserve the punishment. Hackers have no mercy and are permanently banned first offense; and I wouldn't say that's a little thing.
I got perma-banned for saying "#isis" Abuse #3

Dzbs

Iron
Reaction score
Questions were asked, but now they have been answered!! Go check out to see what MCGamer will be doing to improve! :)

arsenal

District 13
Reaction score
ANSWER: Chad was not present at this meeting, but many activities/events planned. I will ask him at the next meeting.
This is a problem in itself. Chad is rarely at the meetings so any issues that he needs to answer he is unavailable to do so. We all have a life, so if he can't make every single meeting that is totally understandable. However, I was staff for a year and he attended maybe three meetings in that time. Not acceptable.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Want to fix MCSG? Let's use our heads!

When were we doing the best?

Answer: Numbers were at their height from Winter 2014 - Summer 2014

When did the player count begin to decrease and the playerbase became recognizably more uneasy with the direction of the server?

Answer: After the AntVenom merge and MCGamer V2 update

What caused this widespread distaste and "rebellion"?

Answer: People did not like the fact that their network was being changed and moving in a direction conflicting with the interest of the majority of the community.

Why were these updates a conflict of interest?

Because MCSG/MCGamer has always been a community based on one thing, competitive PvP.

What has been successful in the past?

- Survival Games (obviously) and its variations over the years (SGC, QQ, SGSolo, MCSGMaker, etc.)

- KitPvP & Battlegrounds

- Factions, the server brought a lot of conflict between players, but it was popular.

- Tournaments and events such as Hell Games, Community Games, etc.

What has been unsuccessful in the past?

Quite literally anything that doesn't have to do with competitive PvP, this includes the AntVenom gamemodes and ZedChase.

What has been the focus of the administration?

The unsuccessful gamemodes, the focus was to make people play them more often through events such as Gamemode Spotlight, the overwhelming amount of time put into their promotion and upkeep, etc.

What was a result of this focus?

Anger

What caused this anger?

The clearly popular things were not being improved to keep up with the times.

Now, my friends, let's take a look at the effect of these moves throughout the course of 2015.

What became the sweeping rage of PvP in 2015?

Arena PvP and UHC.

What happened to MCSG's older population as time went on?

They strongly wished to play their favorite server, MCSG, however SG alone was not enough to maintain interest. Groups moved on to play other things.

Who capitalized on this new age of interest?

Badlion, a seemingly average server and team that excelled in two things. Giving people what they wanted and securing them from hackers.

What did MCSG do?

Not what Badlion did

Am I, Ceroria, a Badlion supporter?

The only reason I ever played Minecraft was because of MCSG, Badlion annoys me (and it has plenty of problems on its own)

What's the overarching lesson here?

Numbers and voices don't lie. MCSG has been losing players who consistently say on multiple platforms exactly what they'd like to see. It's always been the job of any staff team to hear what the players want, and do what they can to ensure satisfaction among the community.

For MCGamer, a server with one of the first large competitive player bases ever, it would only be logical from any standpoint to have an administration team that is on the same page as the community. As much as an administrator thinks their move is "better", it will fail if it does not reflect the position of the community.

Our problem has been that the people in charge were always just that, in charge. They were never immersed in the community aspect and didn't see things from the same perspective as the people they directed. As such, their ideas were perfectly well intended, just not suitable toward their audience.

At this current point in time, we have a very capable and in-tune senior staff team and administration. Every one of the higher ups has had community experience. The problem is that there are expectations of behavior among staff members that were set by the old generation of higher ups who were not in tune with the community. Despite the fact that people are now perfectly capable of making change, no one is willing to break the status quo and as a result the server will die.

As much as I don't want to say this, the thing to be fixed here is Chad's perspective. He's out of the loop, and always has been. His play style ingame reflects that of 2012-2013, and so does his personality when playing. Frankly I'm not sure if he is fully aware of all of the rules and how strictly some of them have been enforced or changed over the years because of how he seemed to act surprised over a couple of things. All of these conclusions were from watching the guy play one game of SG.

Can anything be done at this point?

Well, draw your own conclusions but if it took the removal of an entire region, the mass resignations of AU mods, and the loss of a developer, 3 admins, multiple Sr. Mods, and player base decreases of over 300% for staff members to still not say "Hey, what the heck is going on here?" publicly, there is clearly a complication.

Hyzo

Spectator
Reaction score
Want to fix MCSG? Let's use our heads!

When were we doing the best?

Answer: Numbers were at their height from Winter 2014 - Summer 2014

When did the player count begin to decrease and the playerbase became recognizably more uneasy with the direction of the server?

Answer: After the AntVenom merge and MCGamer V2 update

What caused this widespread distaste and "rebellion"?

Answer: People did not like the fact that their network was being changed and moving in a direction conflicting with the interest of the majority of the community.

Why were these updates a conflict of interest?

Because MCSG/MCGamer has always been a community based on one thing, competitive PvP.

What has been successful in the past?

- Survival Games (obviously) and its variations over the years (SGC, QQ, SGSolo, MCSGMaker, etc.)

- KitPvP & Battlegrounds

- Factions, the server brought a lot of conflict between players, but it was popular.

- Tournaments and events such as Hell Games, Community Games, etc.

What has been unsuccessful in the past?

Quite literally anything that doesn't have to do with competitive PvP, this includes the AntVenom gamemodes and ZedChase.

What has been the focus of the administration?

The unsuccessful gamemodes, the focus was to make people play them more often through events such as Gamemode Spotlight, the overwhelming amount of time put into their promotion and upkeep, etc.

What was a result of this focus?

Anger

What caused this anger?

The clearly popular things were not being improved to keep up with the times.

Now, my friends, let's take a look at the effect of these moves throughout the course of 2015.

What became the sweeping rage of PvP in 2015?

Arena PvP and UHC.

What happened to MCSG's older population as time went on?

They strongly wished to play their favorite server, MCSG, however SG alone was not enough to maintain interest. Groups moved on to play other things.

Who capitalized on this new age of interest?

Badlion, a seemingly average server and team that excelled in two things. Giving people what they wanted and securing them from hackers.

What did MCSG do?

Not what Badlion did

Am I, Ceroria, a Badlion supporter?

The only reason I ever played Minecraft was because of MCSG, Badlion annoys me (and it has plenty of problems on its own)

What's the overarching lesson here?

Numbers and voices don't lie. MCSG has been losing players who consistently say on multiple platforms exactly what they'd like to see. It's always been the job of any staff team to hear what the players want, and do what they can to ensure satisfaction among the community.

For MCGamer, a server with one of the first large competitive player bases ever, it would only be logical from any standpoint to have an administration team that is on the same page as the community. As much as an administrator thinks their move is "better", it will fail if it does not reflect the position of the community.

Our problem has been that the people in charge were always just that, in charge. They were never immersed in the community aspect and didn't see things from the same perspective as the people they directed. As such, their ideas were perfectly well intended, just not suitable toward their audience.

At this current point in time, we have a very capable and in-tune senior staff team and administration. Every one of the higher ups has had community experience. The problem is that there are expectations of behavior among staff members that were set by the old generation of higher ups who were not in tune with the community. Despite the fact that people are now perfectly capable of making change, no one is willing to break the status quo and as a result the server will die.

As much as I don't want to say this, the thing to be fixed here is Chad's perspective. He's out of the loop, and always has been. His play style ingame reflects that of 2012-2013, and so does his personality when playing. Frankly I'm not sure if he is fully aware of all of the rules and how strictly some of them have been enforced or changed over the years because of how he seemed to act surprised over a couple of things. All of these conclusions were from watching the guy play one game of SG.

Can anything be done at this point?

Well, draw your own conclusions but if it took the removal of an entire region, the mass resignations of AU mods, and the loss of a developer, 3 admins, multiple Sr. Mods, and player base decreases of over 300% for staff members to still not say "Hey, what the heck is going on here?" publicly, there is clearly a complication.
I read everything you wrote and I would like to say, WOW! Your answer is so clear. I just, can't say anything. Thanks for replying and I hope the MCSG Staff revives. :) (big fna)

Ryan

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
I read everything you wrote and I would like to say, WOW! Your answer is so clear. I just, can't say anything. Thanks for replying and I hope the MCSG Staff revives. :) (big fna)

Ryan
Hey, thanks man! Good to see the actual effort I put into a post being significant :)

Hyzo

Spectator
Reaction score
Hey, thanks man! Good to see the actual effort I put into a post being significant :)
Hah, Significant? Significant is nothing compared to the effort you put into it! More like
amazing astonishing astounding awesome breathtaking
extraordinary fabulous fantastic improbable incredible
marvelous overwhelming phenomenal remarkable spectacular
splendid staggering startling wonderful
unbelievable unforeseen unthinkable unimaginable unanticipated
unexpected unpredicted
beautiful aesthetic appealing attractive awesome
blooming bonny comely cute dazzling
dishy drawing attention elegant exquisite fine
glorious good-looking gorgeous graceful handsome
lovely magnificent marvelous nice picturesque
pleasing pretty pulchritudinous ravishing scenic