• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How to Have a Calm Debate on the Forums

The Arena Master

Mockingjay
Reaction score
Lately, I've been seeing a lot of debates or arguments on the forums. At first they start off so light, but they can quickly escalate and turn into a insult fest. For example:

User 1: To be honest, I don't see much of a problem with BSM
User 2: It's cheating, and it's not allowed. End of story
User 1: I never said it was allowed, don't be such a prick
User 2: Prick? Yeah, right. You're the dumb *** who probably uses BSM.

As you can tell, that was a mere opinion which quickly raised into a fight. You're going to want to avoid fights like these on the forums. Firstly, if you see a fight like this just stay out of it. Now, there are some key things to do so you don't get into an argument.

#1: Look at it from both sides
Even if something or some idea annoys you, you don't necessarily need to bash their opinion. Try and keep in mind that they're entitled to their opinions just as you are to yours. You need to respect other people's opinions and not just think that their thought process is garbage.

#2: Avoid name calling
Name calling is the quickest way to rise a debate into an argument. Just stay away from it, especially swearing. Name calling adds nothing to the debate, and it only escalates it. You're allowed to tell yourself that the other user is a fool or an idiot, but you don't need to tell him.

#3: Throw in the towel
This is something that people tend not to do. If your're in an debate, and the person on the opposite side just isn't giving in, stop posting. Just tell yourself that he's a fool and he'll never learn.

#4: Don't hold grudges
Odds are, there's someone you hate on the forums. However, if you see them on a thread posting their opinion, don't just needlessly trash their opinions because you don't like them. Put aside the grudge for a moment. Hell, maybe even tell them "That's actually a pretty good idea". You might end up turning an enemy into a friend

#5: Don't argue over the little things
There are some things to debate over, and there are some things that can just be left alone. You don't need to argue over what qualifies as a necro, you don't need to argue over how tasty a food is, and you don't need to argue over phone brands.

I hope this helps everyone out a bit, and hopefully we don't see quite as many Swear-fests and caps matches on the forums :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci