• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How to Solve the MCGamer Leadership Crisis

feminist

Career
Reaction score
I had no knowledge of Jimmer posting that thread and I would make my case but I'm not good at communicating in text so it would not do it justice.
Then my source is wrong and I apologise, I also don't mean you need to do it in text, I respect that's not your strong suite. Maybe a "make mcsg great ft. dave" Q&A on teamspeak sometime? Might allow you to convey to the community who aren't too fond of you because of your previous actions.

user5739485

Survivor
Reaction score
I don't really understand what you guys are traying to get at with this 'New Leader' idea, it doesn't seem practical.

If someone was to 'Lead' the server they would have to dedicate a lot of time to the server and unless we have someone who is that devoted to the server, they would need a significant payment. Now the whole reason AU was shut down was because it was making enough profit for it to exist, adding in this staff role would make the server even less profitable and I don't think that is going to appeal to Chad.

Also, the chances of Chad acknowledging this thread are small enough and to think that he is going to agree and take action....you must be dreaming.

Professor Nub

Platinum
Reaction score
So I haven't really responded much over the months to people requesting me to come back -- What I personally have to say might not appear popular to others. I'm just going to throw it out there, though.

Theoretically, if I were tasked with leading this community, I'd start at the core foundation of the staff team. I'd absolutely revitalize the staff team, change many mechanics and workings of the staff team, and build an extremely solid administration. I'm talking a staff team made out of steel - one that I'm proud to both lead and stand behind.

Again, I must warn you: Some of these things might sound crazy...but here goes:

Every new person hired, at every level, gets to talk to me. I don't mean that in a scary way - no, talking to me (or whoever is the leader) shouldn't be a scary thing. Anyhow, they'd personally be screened by me. Yes, I'm a firm believer in handpicking the cream of the crop hirees. I don't usually like to settle for less, so I'm aiming to have the type of staff team that other communities look up to. "Wow, look at so-and-so making a new server. I really hope their staff team is as top-notch as MCSG".

I'm absolutely serious. Top notch-staff team, handpicked. Should the need arise, trusted, competent administrators would also be granted the ability to screen hirees.

Communication and integration is next. If a staff member needs to talk to a dev, admin, or owner, then it should be possible. Absolutely. From what I've heard, it’s often hard for staff members to talk to admins/owner currently, and perhaps that's because the upper level staff don't want to constantly be bothered by useless messages. When you have a top-notch staff team like mentioned above, that sort of thing doesn't happen anyways. So again -- easy and efficient/hassle-free communicative abilities from lower level-staff to even the highest levels.

Key point: QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. I'd much rather have 50 fantastic moderators than 200 pure moderators. If a large portion of those 200 moderators don't do their duty well, and fail to work efficiently...what's the point of having them. 50 top-notch moderators will get the job done, and please the community while doing so.

I've heard from current staff that meetings are still somewhat dreadful - They take a while and there are STILL issues with timing. That needs to change. Meetings need to be 30 mins tops. That's it. Unless there is some monumental situation at hand, (leafygreentea came back and killed the entire sr. staff team) then really, 30 mins tops.

There's plenty more I've thought about regarding the staff, but those are just some more immediate and frontal thoughts/changes.

Moving On.

So this is a tricky subject, and potentially could get some people mad at me. But hey, that's going to happen when you're promoting some amount of change to the status quo. Anyhow, the development team would need to get revamped.

Like I said, this is tricky. Here's why: I don't have a full, working knowledge of the current financial operation of the server. (I have a rough idea, but its outdated and was at best a superficial understanding) I don't know exactly how money flows in and out, and what is allocated to what. Also, this is in no way bashing the current development team.

So, here's a couple things: Get a few, STRONG developers. Ava is a pretty cool gal. I've known her for a bit, met her IRL a couple times - she's a smart person who's off to do great things after college. That's for sure. But she's also not able to handle development single-handedly. Think of it like this: Let's say you have a soldier in your army. He's the best soldier you've ever trained. He's amazing. That doesn't mean you can send him out on his own to take out entire squadrons of the other army. It just doesn't work like that.

Same idea here - Ava can't just do everything. There needs to be, in my opinion, three developers that can get the job done, fully. This might be the most difficult task.

Somewhat related to development -- I'm going to perhaps be "politically incorrect" as this may appear as pure bashing of the sever (it's not, I'm purely giving my thoughts on things for the better of the server). The gamemodes. All of this stuff that came with the AntVenom merge. Stop. There are so many gamemodes that have extremely small, sometimes zero playerbase. Zero. That's not acceptable. Gamemodes shouldn't always be released just because someone else has it. There are exceptions to this - Having a creative and survival server are fine. Even other popular things are fine. It's more of "When has the last time anyone can remember playing something like Survival Bingo to the degree and extent that SG has been played"? I'm checking right now, and there's actually zero people on both the US and EU network. If I wanted to, I literally could play multiple gamemodes because no one else is playing them. Perfect what already is popular, then draft ideas for new gamemodes. The thing is, when a new gamemode is going to be released, it needs to be great from the beginning. A top-notch product needs to be made. SG was hands-down the single greatest gamemode innovation in Minecraft, and UHC is a close second now. Other communities made pretty good SG servers, and have hundreds of people playing on them. There must be a reason why very little play the UHC here.

Badlion has UHC. They just do. Everyone knows it - Mineplex staff know it, Hive staff know it. It's just a matter of fact. Don't attempt to outdo them in UHC...it just wont happen. Instead, let's get started in innovating the next big gamemode. That's what needs to happen.

That largely ties in with forging a stronger dev team, however part of this is also a shot called, or at least should be called in my opinion, by the administrative staff.

I recently heard AU was shut down. There is only one reason for this: The AU servers were simply not profitable. That shouldn't be the case -- the system should work that it's proportional to the AU playerbase. Again, I don't know the absolute specifics like numbers, and I understand AU hosting is much more expensive, but still, it was a thing many years ago, and shouldn't be going away. That's backwards progress. Not good. Should be forward progress.

I briefly read the announcement regarding AU server shutdown. I'm not at all denying that the quality to value ratio was off, but it was more often that not like that in the history of MCSG. For as long as I can remember as staff, AU has always been spotty compared to US and EU in terms of quality to value ratio. Other servers have AU, let's have AU too. Even if it's a much smaller amount of server hosting compared to US or EU, there still needs to be AU if there already was multiple years ago.

More serverwide community events. I'm talking livestreams, I'm talking tournaments. That sort of thing. Chad used to livestream back in 2012. It was awesome. Everyone in the TS back then would always get so excited when a Chad stream was coming up. It was great fun, and something everyone could enjoy. I'd certainly want to have fun livestreaming with the community.

But why stop there. Let's get some real YouTubers and Twitch streamers to realize this is the place to be when it comes to playing SG. Why not?

Anyhow, I'd probably look into reworking the donation system and introduce different in-game properties that would encourage donating. Not pay-to-win or something like that. That's lame. I'm a competitive gamer, so I know these things first hand just like everyone else.

Look at CS:GO. It's not pay-to-win, yet valve rakes in so much profit off of skins and cases. Players love the skin system. Even the operation system too. Let's look at those sorts of avenues for the server, to ensure the server is getting the money it needs to maintain AND grow.

I'd also promote the push for more competitive, organized play. Again, tournaments. Not just any tournament - Tournaments with prizes to be desired. Livestream the tournaments. Get thousands of people watching on twitch. Do it.

Full communication needs to be made between staff and players. Introducing the Dev Changelog was a great idea. Continue on that sort of path.

There are plenty of decisions made that never made sense to me. Some may disagree with me on this, but for the longest time I've always wanted to push harder bans. I wanted to do away with all of the 1 day for this, 3 day for this, 5 day for this, 7 day for this, permaban for this nonsense. You hack once, now it's time for a break. Second time, you're gone. That's it.

There's often too many uproars over bans either being unjust/unfair, or invalid.

This goes back to top-notch staff team. The staff that deal with ban disputes need to be the best hacker-spotters ever. I can look at a player, and just tell be the way he moves if he's likely a hacker. Once I actually see the portion of the video where he/she is supposedly hacking, its either they were or they weren't. I've played this game too long to not be able to spot hacks. Aeruner was an old admin, and he and I used to be some of the only sr staff that could actually reliably spot better sprint mod when that used to be banned.

Speaking of catching hackers, let’s get work started on making an absolutely phenomenal anti-cheat system. Strong, full-fledged devteam = better work production towards great anti-cheat. Remember, anti-cheat systems don’t care who they ban. They won’t hesitate to ban someone that is their friend, because they don’t have friends. They don’t ban out of anger or spite. They ban because they are programmed to under a specific, hardened set of parameters.

The forums are flooded with posts about “this server is dying” or “what happened to mcsg???”.

Honestly, yes some of this posts are not very helpful and are just angry people sharing their anger. But there is a reason why we see so many of these posts. A reason exists.

There are several other significant changes that I would bring about, but many of them escape my train of thought for now. I often put on the “I’m SixZoSeven, so let me just post witty or neat things that gets lots of likes from people.” Seriously, when I was staff I would very rarely directly speak out against other staff members. If someone said something I completely disagreed with in a meeting, I would often just stay out of the conversation or vaguely respond taking a neutral stance. That was my fault – I shouldn’t have been so afraid. As everyone can see by this post, I’m very clearly not afraid of people I used to work with disagreeing with me. It’s a good thing to have them disagree – at least it means they’re reading what I’m typing.

If I was older and wiser back when I was staff, I’d have done everything in my power to make MCSG the best server it could be.

Again, could write about more things…but many other ideas escape my current train of thought.

I completely understand how arrogant this sounds...but take a look at what I have in my signature. There's a reason I have those awards, voted by the community. And to think that was back when I was younger and didn't actually fully incorporate my personal potential for this community.
He's our hero!!! I 100% stand behind this man.

N

Nikola

But that works both ways. If you think it's wrong to judge someone for past mistakes, then why is it right to acknowledge their good moments? The only reason Dave is being considered as a potential owner is because of his past at MCGamer, but as soon as someone brings up that he's done wrong you say 'the past shouldn't matter'. It doesn't make sense.
Good point but what I was trying to say is that people look more on the bad things he did and his mistakes than on what he actually managed to do good for mcsg.

SixZoSeven

Community Engagement Team Lead
Reaction score
I used to have a ton of respect for you way back and this post completely confirms you deserved that respect.

It's always been a belief of mine that for a successful community to operate there needs to be an administrator, owner or developer who understands the competitive aspect of the server. Whether this knowledge has been by personal experience such as yourself, Sixzo or by reading and listening to the communities feedback it's crucial. We can take into consideration Badlion. Apart from the UHC craze which has completely taken over Minecraft, Badlion offers a competitive environment which is being tweaked constantly to satisfy the needs of a community.

Chad needs to be able to admit his mistakes and apologise to the community instead of needlessly convincing himself that he's correct. The removal of AU was the catalyst for the controversy regarding the way ownership is handled in this server and how to communicate with the player-base.

I do respect your stance on the moderation team, however, I don't believe that 50 moderators is capable of handling a server which is overrun by hackers due to the non-existed anti-cheat. Every single other large network has an anti-cheat which performs exceptionally when it comes to banning hackers and this eliminates the need of having a large amount of staff, many of them being liabilities.

-Snip To Save Space-

I'm not necessarily saying that 50 moderators is the magic number for this community or anything. It was more of just a number of reference to illustrate my belief of quality over quantity in the staffing department. That coupled with my suggestions to prioritize the development of a strong anti-cheat would definitely please players in regards to hackers.

Most reasonable people understand that there will be a hacker at some point. I can't really think of a multiplayer game where I haven't at least encountered a hacker once. It will happen, but its also frustrating when it can appear as if the server staff aren't prioritizing it, even if they are really trying to.

David

Career
Reaction score
While I agree with your points about throwing Dave back into the mix so quickly, one thing is bugging me. Wouldn't that be the case with any admin (if any) they were to hire? The situation would still remain the same. I think if MCGamer were to look at who to hire, they'd need to decide which person is best equipped to handle the server in crisis mode, such as it is right now. Honestly at this point, the whole "is he ready" thing kind of has to go out the window, because alarm bells are ringing and something needs to be done ASAP.
It would be the case with anyone, which is why I don't think a new admin is a quick fix. I think the only fix to this situation is Chad becoming more involved and through the process restoring MCGamer to a state of peace in hopes by the end of it he can promote some new Sr. Mods to Admin and show them the ropes, and Yannick is still there so he could work closely with Chad through this process of reconstruction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci