• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

How to stop random internet lag spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
My parents have not downgraded our internet plan, and restarting the router will only stop the lag spikes for about 10 minutes. However, recently we got a wifi extender, but since it wasn't helping we returned it, and I have gotten the worst lag spikes ever since. Do you think this could have anything to do with it?

Not many people use my internet. I've tried restarting my laptop, but the lag spikes return sooner or later.
Considering you said that you purchased, and then returned a WiFi extender, it might be that your computer is too far away from your router. Maybe try using a LAN cable or moving your laptop/ WiFi enabled desktop closer to the source of your WiFi. This may improve your latency and connection quality between your computer and router.

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
I would try moving your computer closer to the router then.
Considering you said that you purchased, and then returned a WiFi extender, it might be that your computer is too far away from your router. Maybe try using a LAN cable or moving your laptop/ WiFi enabled desktop closer to the source of your WiFi. This may improve your latency and connection quality between your computer and router.
I apologize for not mentioning this before, but I realized that being a little too far away from the router wasn't the cause of my lag spikes. I am currently very close to my router now, and still getting the lag spikes.

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
I apologize for not mentioning this before, but I realized that being a little too far away from the router wasn't the cause of my lag spikes. I am currently very close to my router now, and still getting the lag spikes.
I have a feeling that your issue might be because of the following three things;
  1. A small bandwidth internet plan.
  2. An old router or outdated computer hardware/software.
  3. Internet capping (ISP side)
If you want, you might want to see what you can do to address your issues, for example, upgrading your internet, purchasing a new router or calling up your ISP and asking if/why the internet is not performing as well as it should be.

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
I have a feeling that your issue might be because of the following three things;
If you want, you might want to see what you can do to address your issues, for example, upgrading your internet, purchasing a new router or calling up your ISP and asking if/why the internet is not performing as well as it should be.
I'll try calling my ISP because with the internet plan I have, minecraft shouldn't be doing what it's doing. Also I do not have an old router, and my computer is brand new. Thank you very much for the help, I hope this resolves my problem!

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
Talked to my ISP twice now. Still getting ridiculous lag spikes. (Sorry for double post)

Keno

Experienced
Reaction score
Talked to my ISP twice now. Still getting ridiculous lag spikes. (Sorry for double post)
I'm afraid I have no idea what the issue is. :( That's all that I could think of off the top of my head, since these are some causes of issues similar to your's that have been found on the forums and ones that I have had to fix myself.

I'll leave the thread open though, to see if anyone has a potential fix to this issue.

P.S. - The double post you did was okay, don't worry :) There was a gap which lasted over a week between the last reply and one you made today.

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
I'm afraid I have no idea what the issue is. :( That's all that I could think of off the top of my head, since these are some causes of issues similar to your's that have been found on the forums and ones that I have had to fix myself.

I'll leave the thread open though, to see if anyone has a potential fix to this issue.

P.S. - The double post you did was okay, don't worry :) There was a gap which lasted over a week between the last reply and one you made today.
I truly appreciate the help, thank you very much. I just hope I can fix this issue very soon :)

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
*Bumping thread* as I still haven't found a solution to this day.

Wabbiitz

Tribute
Reaction score
Are you sure its your internet? or is it the Game in general?

Crinkle

Platinum
Reaction score
Are you sure its your internet? or is it the Game in general?
Yeah. It's my internet.

EDIT: Since a lot of people didn't seem to understand what my issue actually was, here is a normal day of me logging into minecraft.

Last edited:

Wabbiitz

Tribute
Reaction score
Yeah. It's my internet.

EDIT: Since a lot of people didn't seem to understand what my issue actually was, here is a normal day of me logging into minecraft.

What I do when my internet lags, is I restart my router, Have you tried restarting your router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci