• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

I'm going to be building a new computer - Suggestions needed

R4ng

Platinum
Reaction score
Mooclan: I use a dated MacBook Pro and pull off a solid 60FPS on Minecraft, and 100FPS on CS:GO, CS:GO is actually less CPU intensive than Minecraft considering the amount of chunks Minecraft is constantly loading so it's probable that if you have a PC that can handle Minecraft at 100+ FPS, you would get pretty nice frames on CS ;)

Edit: I'm a computer noob, you probably shouldn't trust me :) Just voicing my experience after I looked at your FPS requirements!

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
Mooclan: I use a dated MacBook Pro and pull of a solid 60FPS on Minecraft, and 100FPS on CS:GO, CS:GO is actually less CPU intensive than Minecraft considering the amount of chunks Minecraft is constantly loading so it's probable that if you have a PC that can handle Minecraft at 100+ FPS, you would get pretty nice frames on CS ;)

Edit: I'm a computer noob, you probably shouldn't trust me :) Just voicing my experience after I looked at your FPS requirements!
On the computer that I have now, I get around ~80 FPS on Minecraft w/ lowest settings/render distance...
But I get closer to ~25 FPS on CS:GO ;-;

My budget was just increased to $500, but I can't go over that. (Literally, I don't have the option, so I'm aiming for ~$475.)

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tJn7yc
Went through and made some adjustments. If you want to get semi-decent performance out of your system in games like Minecraft, you'll need dedicated graphics.

CPU: The G3258 is probably one of the best budget CPUs that you can get right now. The fact that it's overclockable and contains a boost clock of 4.0 ghz (Correct me if I'm wrong) is something brand new to that realm of performance. Overall, great budget buy.

CPU Cooler: This was kind of thrown in there as a "Get it if you can" kind of thing. This is one of the most acclaimed air coolers out there, and for so cheap, it's a great way to keep your temps in check. Especially with the case, which I'll get into later.

Motherboard: I decided to keep the one that you specified. It does well enough for what you need. I'm assuming you don't plan to overclock in the near future, so this should give you solid features for your intentions. I'd recommend looking at Gigabyte if you ever have some extra money for an upgrade. They're pretty good quality from my experiences. Currently using one in my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HLNTZL

RAM: This was tricky to get, but I found a kit that should do well. Having 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB will allow you to spread the load of your tasks over twice the DIMs, which means double the bandwidth. Overally, dual channel is the way to go :) and 1600 mhz should be more than fast enough.

HDD: The WD Caviar Blue has always been a reliable drive. I'm running a WD Caviar Black in my system, which just means that it's a little faster. If you have some extra money, the black version may be of benefit. I decided to get rid of the SSD because at this budget, your money could be put towards much more useful components. SSDs are sort of a luxury item when it comes to computers.

GPU: The money that I saved from getting rid of the SSD mainly went into this. The 750 Ti is probably one of the best "bang for your buck" cards out there. It's cheap, but it does what it says on the tin, so to say. You definitely get what you pay for. This is the main driving factor for getting the FPS you want in games.

Case: The Source 210 is a good budget case, and it's pretty cheap. That being said, it's cheaply made as well. It's not a bad case by any means, but if you're paying $30 for a case, it's going to look like a $30 computer. It's mainly aesthetics at that point. As for the air flow of the case, I've definitely seen better, so I threw in the cooler that I mentioned earlier. Overall, it should help dissipate heat. The case is generally something that I leave out of a build, and let the builder decide on, as it's very much a personal choice. My best advice would be to go with what you think looks best, as it's what will reflect on your entire build.

PSU: Corsair has always been good to me. I quite like the semi-modular design of this one, as ti means that you don't have to have as many cables running through your case, saving precious space, and freeing up airflow.

Wifi Antenna: Nuff' said. It's an antenna.

This was pretty much put together in a rush. I'd recommend doing a bit more research before finalizing your list, but I would recommend these as a starting point for your build.

Edit: Some things that I would try doing in order to still have a working system without going over budget.

Try going will a lesser capacity HDD. 500GB may serve you just fine initially. I've had my computer for a few months, and only used 200.

Maybe try cutting back to 4 or 6 gigabytes of RAM. I don't personally like this option, but if you really need to cut corners, this could help.

There's always the option of holding back on the graphics card, but don't expect any sizeable performance from the system. You'll have the ability to run google chrome, and maybe minecraft low settings 30FPS. This would be 100% last case scenario.

YourAverageTiger

i control this entire operation
Reaction score
Honestly, all you need is a computer.
Since streaming is your thing a fund-raiser stream would help? open up a stream-tip and people should donate. Choose what you love, and I hope Tal_Pal reads this and comes to help, I heard he helped Lemonz87 with her computer.

Overall, ask some real professional to help. If I can ill get u some 100$ because that was what I was gonna allocate your diamond donor xD

Im not bullshitting and will see with my parents on giving me 75-100 dollars in my PayPal.

~Your streams will be worth it, especially when they do not lag.

#DonateToTheIronCow
Translate:
#DonarAlMooclan <--Spanish
#FaireUnDonàMooclan <--French
#لتبرع ل Mooclan <---Arabic
More soon!

I had to retype this 5 times because I couldn't be clear enough

Last edited:

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
Just a quick point: for Minecraft specifically, a good CPU is the biggest factor in achieving good FPS, so you probably want to allocate a good amount of resources to that component.

YourAverageTiger

i control this entire operation
Reaction score
Just a quick point: for Minecraft specifically, a good CPU is the biggest factor in achieving good FPS, so you probably want to allocate a good amount of resources to that component.
I believe it is the GPU/Graphics card, most probably the graphics card.

Cubes

District 13
Reaction score
There's truth to both of these. While a GPU ensures stability in every game, greatly influencing the FPS, in Minecraft specifically, it's very dependent on the CPU specifically. Not 100% sure why this is, but both play a role in the final performance. Nevertheless, nearly any CPU or GPU will give adequate performance.

Zeno

Platinum
Reaction score
For most other games that's true, but Minecraft is an exception. Due to the low graphical requirements, but constant need to load chunks, Minecraft is actually more CPU than GPU intensive.

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tJn7yc
Went through and made some adjustments. If you want to get semi-decent performance out of your system in games like Minecraft, you'll need dedicated graphics.

CPU: The G3258 is probably one of the best budget CPUs that you can get right now. The fact that it's overclockable and contains a boost clock of 4.0 ghz (Correct me if I'm wrong) is something brand new to that realm of performance. Overall, great budget buy.

CPU Cooler: This was kind of thrown in there as a "Get it if you can" kind of thing. This is one of the most acclaimed air coolers out there, and for so cheap, it's a great way to keep your temps in check. Especially with the case, which I'll get into later.

Motherboard: I decided to keep the one that you specified. It does well enough for what you need. I'm assuming you don't plan to overclock in the near future, so this should give you solid features for your intentions. I'd recommend looking at Gigabyte if you ever have some extra money for an upgrade. They're pretty good quality from my experiences. Currently using one in my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HLNTZL

RAM: This was tricky to get, but I found a kit that should do well. Having 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB will allow you to spread the load of your tasks over twice the DIMs, which means double the bandwidth. Overally, dual channel is the way to go :) and 1600 mhz should be more than fast enough.

HDD: The WD Caviar Blue has always been a reliable drive. I'm running a WD Caviar Black in my system, which just means that it's a little faster. If you have some extra money, the black version may be of benefit. I decided to get rid of the SSD because at this budget, your money could be put towards much more useful components. SSDs are sort of a luxury item when it comes to computers.

GPU: The money that I saved from getting rid of the SSD mainly went into this. The 750 Ti is probably one of the best "bang for your buck" cards out there. It's cheap, but it does what it says on the tin, so to say. You definitely get what you pay for. This is the main driving factor for getting the FPS you want in games.

Case: The Source 210 is a good budget case, and it's pretty cheap. That being said, it's cheaply made as well. It's not a bad case by any means, but if you're paying $30 for a case, it's going to look like a $30 computer. It's mainly aesthetics at that point. As for the air flow of the case, I've definitely seen better, so I threw in the cooler that I mentioned earlier. Overall, it should help dissipate heat. The case is generally something that I leave out of a build, and let the builder decide on, as it's very much a personal choice. My best advice would be to go with what you think looks best, as it's what will reflect on your entire build.

PSU: Corsair has always been good to me. I quite like the semi-modular design of this one, as ti means that you don't have to have as many cables running through your case, saving precious space, and freeing up airflow.

Wifi Antenna: Nuff' said. It's an antenna.

This was pretty much put together in a rush. I'd recommend doing a bit more research before finalizing your list, but I would recommend these as a starting point for your build.

Edit: Some things that I would try doing in order to still have a working system without going over budget.

Try going will a lesser capacity HDD. 500GB may serve you just fine initially. I've had my computer for a few months, and only used 200.

Maybe try cutting back to 4 or 6 gigabytes of RAM. I don't personally like this option, but if you really need to cut corners, this could help.

There's always the option of holding back on the graphics card, but don't expect any sizeable performance from the system. You'll have the ability to run google chrome, and maybe minecraft low settings 30FPS. This would be 100% last case scenario.
I love you Cubes, and thank you so much for this list, but it's just way too expensive. My absolute limit is $500.

I switched out the Hard Drive for this: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003
This dropped the price closer within my budget.

I substituted the RAM in your list to this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b
It's still DDR3-1600 by a (what I think is) reputable source, and slightly cheaper.

I took out the case that you had in there, since I already have one and/or will be able to obtain one for a very low price.

After that, the estimated price was around $470, which is just barely within my range.

If I can change the graphics card for something slightly cheaper, let me know. If not, I'm going to start buying parts in about an hour and a half.

Edit: Also, thank you so much Zeno.

CyberSelfi

Experienced
Reaction score
Cyber monday is either the monday right before or after black friday. BUT.. If you buy a graphics card that's extremely good, i don't think your processor would even be able to handle it. (Not 100% sure, only from what happens to me!) Good luck man, try ad reach your goal! Maybe save some christmas money since it's right around the corner if you do happen to get some.
December 1st this year :D

jtmboy

Diamond
Reaction score
I would go for the Nvidia graphics cards first, like a 620 is a good price and a really good graphics card:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci