• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Interesting question...

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
#BitoBain4Prez
Back on topic, I think the only ways to find out if people experience color the same way are either to do visual tests and see if they say certain colors are similar or not, and to do MRI scans and stuff like that.
On this note, the first method wouldn't work. People assign the names of colors (both mentally and visually) to the various colors themselves.
For example, if someone showed me and you a shade of blue and asked us to name it, of course we'd say "Blue!". However, we would SEE it as a different color, but we have it named as the same thing.

...does that make sense? I think it's something too confusing for kids xD
But these are all very thought-provoking questions that could be better answered with science, experiments, and hard facts. However, I think it's great that we are challenging our minds to try and reach such conclusions using purely mind-power, as it stretches the limits of thought.

BitoBain

Career
Reaction score
#BitoBain4Prez

On this note, the first method wouldn't work. People assign the names of colors (both mentally and visually) to the various colors themselves.
For example, if someone showed me and you a shade of blue and asked us to name it, of course we'd say "Blue!". However, we would SEE it as a different color, but we have it named as the same thing.

...does that make sense? I think it's something too confusing for kids xD
But these are all very thought-provoking questions that could be better answered with science, experiments, and hard facts. However, I think it's great that we are challenging our minds to try and reach such conclusions using purely mind-power, as it stretches the limits of thought.
There are actually a few tests that can be done to test color blindness. For example, you can place a red "7" inside a green box, and person with a certain type of color blindness will not see any "7", in the box.

But you are right that we can never know for sure if we are seeing the same color. One interesting thing you could do is see how exposing children to certain ideas at a young age changes their perception of color.

Wood burns red/orange. However, what if we raised a child so that the only thing they ever saw burn was copper chloride, which burns green? Would they then associate green with heat? Could that possible even change their brain's perception of green, making it lighter, since fire emits light? It seems you are suggesting that culture, rather than genetics, could be a cause for a difference in color perception. Then again, there is no scientific evidence for or against this, so I guess you would have to prove that such a difference does exist before we try to answer why. It's all so mind boggling...

Mooclan

Forum God
Reaction score
There are actually a few tests that can be done to test color blindness. For example, you can place a red "7" inside a green box, and person with a certain type of color blindness will not see any "7", in the box.

But you are right that we can never know for sure if we are seeing the same color. One interesting thing you could do is see how exposing children to certain ideas at a young age changes their perception of color.

Wood burns red/orange. However, what if we raised a child so that the only thing they ever saw burn was copper chloride, which burns green? Would they then associate green with heat? Could that possible even change their brain's perception of green, making it lighter, since fire emits light? It seems you are suggesting that culture, rather than genetics, could be a cause for a difference in color perception. Then again, there is no scientific evidence for or against this, so I guess you would have to prove that such a difference does exist before we try to answer why. It's all so mind boggling...
I think that genetics is what causes us to "read" colors as different colors, not culture. However, with your example of fire, that would be an example of how one's upbringing could influence their perception of color. However, if we showed them the green fire and told them that it was green, then they would still recognize it as green. But if we showed them the green fire and then told them that fire was supposed to be red/orange (which isn't necessarily true, as you pointed out) then they might call it red.

....I think I should just leave this for the scientists and BitoBain-like minds. This is too much for my cow brain to handle.... it's an elephant of a task. ;)

(ahahahaha im so punny rofl)

Avesu

Career
Reaction score
Honestly, if you have questions like these, ask a person with these experiences, or.... Ugh I forgot the word. But you got me.

Alpha

Platinum
Reaction score
They just imagine the text. Just because you can't hear doesn't mean you can't read.

TheManeEvent

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
From the AskReddit thread that was mentioned earlier:
"For me, when I think, I think of the written language and the images of what I'm thinking about at the same time. It also depends on what I'm thinking about too."
Also,
"I just think visually, like with imagery and pictures. Only time when I think in sign languages is when I'm talking to another deaf people."

Ssosme

Survivor
Reaction score
I think they actually picture things in there minds to do it, since they can see. I don't think they speak a language in there head. They just imagine things, I guess. But I guess you could ask one if they could lib read or if you just wrote it on something to tell them.

EDIT: Wait what if they were deaf and blind? Now how would they think of things? They cant see images or hear things for people to explain. They would have to feel and guess on that. But If they didn't know what anything looked like... Would they mind just be... Empty? I dont understand anymore...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci