• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

iPads or Chromebooks for Students?

Which device is better for a High School Student to use?

• Total voters

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
So did you end up picking Chromebooks or Ipads?
District is still deciding, last I heard. Funny how the district didn't hesitate when they decided, "Hey, instead of giving a teachers their first raise/pay bonus in 5+ years, let's throw it all into overpriced Apple devices (and let's not even try to redeem the education discount either!", but they drag their feet once it actually comes time to research and gather opinions on how to properly spend their money.

A day or so after I wrote this thread, I wrote a letter at the behest of a few teachers and our school's librarian about my input on the matter. My research confirmed my beliefs about electronic devices in academic settings, and the general trend around the country is quite clear: Chromebooks are easier for schools to manage and students to work with, and thus they are growing dramatically in market share. And in the 1700+ word email that I sent to the school, I summarized my findings and gave my sources. The principal looked over it and seemed very impressed, so I hope my input becomes an important contribution towards the district's decision (really, it might not even be considered, because real life administrations are not nearly as effective as MCGamers').

If anyone is interested in my letter, or perhaps are in the middle of tech-on-campus discussions of their own, I'd be more than happy to post it here.

Burningcupcakes

Platinum
Reaction score
Good work Col. You done good. However 1700+ words is quite long. You deserve a Scooby snack!

Captain Dory

Diamond
Reaction score
Honestly, an iPad is the best choice. Anyone who is tech savvy can set up an MDM profile that can restrict game downloading. The iPad is easier to restrict, imo. Laptop users can plug in hard drives and play their games during school.

We use iPads at school, and they're great. If you don't want to restrict anything, then perhaps laptops may be better.

Ceroria

Mockingjay
Reaction score
From a work standpoint, I see chromebooks as the better option because laptops tend to be more efficient than tablets (although Chromebooks aren't exactly my cup of tea). I've had both at my school at one point in time, and I found the chromebooks much better overall to use. Although they may not be the best of the best computers, they have an external keyboard, important for writing, and the laptop in general has access to full websites (compared to mobile ones), and more functional applications (let's be real, microsoft word for the iPad is not fun).

My school uses iPads more now, and although I believe the Chromebooks to be superior, I don't find myself with many issues on iPads either. As long as they give something functional to work with, the students should be fine.

MisiLica

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I'd personally recommend iPads. My own school uses them and I find it great! Equipped with a bulletproof Griffith Survivor Case, its both durable and lightweight. Everything is easily accessible at your fingertips. Great apps like iTunesU and Edmodo can help engage students in the lesson and can study at home. The iPad can replace textbooks. Restrictions can be added to prevent students from downloading certain apps and accessing certain websites, so abuse can easily be minimum. Most people are familiar with the iPad rather than a Chromebook. I dont think Chromebooks can be carried around in bags and are fragile, so there's another thing. Either way, it comes down to personal preference. They are both excellent devices in terms of productivity, education and power.

bob_brickman99

Survivor
Reaction score
At my school we use a Lenovo Yoga - they run on Windows 8. Just make sure that whatever you choose has access to a notepad software such as Notepad++, has all keys (not one of those tiny keyboards) and a USB port for mice or external storage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci