• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is Destiny Original? (Opinions wanted)

Is Destiny a Spin-Off?

• Total voters

samusdx

Career
Reaction score
Hi! As you guys can probably tell by the title of the thread I am wondering what people think about the recently released game Destiny....
I plan to be making a video about the good parts and the bad parts of it and what I really want are some opnions, I have looked around on other forums and I have found lots of people saying that it is a spin off but also lots of people saying that it isn't, so guys tell me what you think about it!!!!
Yes, this thread is still being worked on so please don't hate if I don't have the correct grammer....

Col_StaR

District 13
Staff member
Reaction score
I think "Spin-Off" is the wrong word. Spin-Off implies that a work of fiction occurs within the same universe and elements as another work of fiction. For example, Guardians of the Galaxy is a spin-off of the Avengers, as it all occurs within the same universe and continuity. So in that technical sense, Destiny is not a spin-off because it is a brand new canon that never existed previously; there has been no other game in the Destiny universe before Destiny.

I think the word you're looking for is, "uninspired", "unoriginal", or merely "derivative". Destiny does a good job of creating a world that looks unique and sounds different. But if you peel back the layers and fancy art work, you'll find that Destiny is terribly devoid of many new and interesting ideas. For all of its science-fantasy appeal, Destiny hardly delves into anything new or interesting with its plot, universe, or even gameplay. Even the three starting classes, Titan, Hunter, and Warlock, are just repeated staples of the ol' D&D classes Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. So Destiny's originality, and indeed what it can call its own definitive identity, is very shallow.

Destiny is not a spin-off, not even in a technical sense. But it's not very original or unique, with RPG gameplay and a universe that is better executed in a game like Borderlands. It's a competent shooter whose beauty is skin-deep, but whose core is bland and uninspired and has been done better elsewhere.

I hope I'd be getting at least a spot in the credits roll for that.

BritishShoop

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
I think "Spin-Off" is the wrong word. Spin-Off implies that a work of fiction occurs within the same universe and elements as another work of fiction. For example, Guardians of the Galaxy is a spin-off of the Avengers, as it all occurs within the same universe and continuity. So in that technical sense, Destiny is not a spin-off because it is a brand new canon that never existed previously; there has been no other game in the Destiny universe before Destiny.

I think the word you're looking for is, "uninspired", "unoriginal", or merely "derivative". Destiny does a good job of creating a world that looks unique and sounds different. But if you peel back the layers and fancy art work, you'll find that Destiny is terribly devoid of many new and interesting ideas. For all of its science-fantasy appeal, Destiny hardly delves into anything new or interesting with its plot, universe, or even gameplay. Even the three starting classes, Titan, Hunter, and Warlock, are just repeated staples of the ol' D&D classes Warrior, Rogue, and Mage. So Destiny's originality, and indeed what it can call its own definitive identity, is very shallow.

Destiny is not a spin-off, not even in a technical sense. But it's not very original or unique, with RPG gameplay and a universe that is better executed in a game like Borderlands. It's a competent shooter whose beauty is skin-deep, but whose core is bland and uninspired and has been done better elsewhere.

I hope I'd be getting at least a spot in the credits roll for that.
Yeah, Well said.
The game is pretty, and plays nicely, but it is SO similar to Borderlands, which executed many design and gameplay elements a considerable amount better.

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
Yeah, Well said.
The game is pretty, and plays nicely, but it is SO similar to Borderlands, which executed many design and gameplay elements a considerable amount better.
Yeah, Destiny was a pretty odd name.

They should have just called it Borderlands 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci