• Our Minecraft servers are offline but we will keep this forum online for any community communication. Site permissions for posting could change at a later date but will remain online.

Is it just me or is SG5 too "big"?

Sigh

Spectator
Reaction score
Today with my newfound donor powers I restarted my Minecraft so that it would have the maximum amount of RAM to work with when I noticed that one server was bound to play Survival Games 5 (the snowy one for you noobs).
Now, I tried to be smart and not activate any redstone (anyone who's seen my past threads knows about what happens when you mess with redstone on SG5), but as I played I noticed in the corner of my eye that my memory usage kept climbing, and climbing, and climbing still, until eventually I was at max and subsequently lagged like nobody's business. I'd barely been playing for 3 minutes and I'd already hit a full GB of memory, and there's nothing to say that it wouldn't have continued skyrocketing if I hadn't capped out.

Now I know that saying to remove the map entirely would be stupid and altogether a pointless endeavor, it was chosen by the admins themselves after all. But I have to know, is it the size of the map itself that's the problem or is it something else I'm not seeing?

VeeZa

District 13
Reaction score
That's weird, never happened to me before. Also what happens when you activate redstone?

MJM239

District 13
Reaction score
Never happened to me, well, I haven't played the map in like 2 months, so maybe something happened that I don't know about.

It's a big map, but not bigger than SG1, and just about the size of SG2, if we're referring to radius. So I don't think size is the issue.

Reaction score
Not too big, but the terrain is a bit boring, the color scheme is dull, and its lack of appealing looks make it rather boring to play. Not a bad map, just kind of dull.

Sigh

Spectator
Reaction score
That's weird, never happened to me before. Also what happens when you activate redstone?
Suffice it to say that I've tested a switch near spawn on that map with a sign next to it, instant disconnect from the game when I (and a couple others) hit it. I tested it, like, 3 times and it happened every time without fail.

To be honest, now that I think about it, the redstone must have something to do with it, AFAIK there's more of it in SG5 than the average map.

VeeZa

District 13
Reaction score
Suffice it to say that I've tested a switch near spawn on that map with a sign next to it, instant disconnect from the game when I (and a couple others) hit it. I tested it, like, 3 times and it happened every time without fail.

To be honest, now that I think about it, the redstone must have something to do with it, AFAIK there's more of it in SG5 than the average map.
I pulled that lever once, I thought it was just a one time thing though and never bothered to test it again xD

Carz

Peacekeeper
Reaction score
It's just as bad as the other 4. SG1 and SG4, not as much, I mean, they're as big as the others, just not as laggy. But I do see your problem with insane amounts of lag on SG5.

gogotgo

Spectator
Reaction score
Interesting.... I seem to lag in the boat with the flashing lamps and the fast moving pistons

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atasci